Are CDPR staffs overworking by making and maintaining Witcher 3?

+
Are CDPR staffs overworking by making and maintaining Witcher 3?

I've been thinking lately, Witcher 3 is a huge bigger than GTA 5 and Skyrim and not to mention the staff numbers are less than Bethesda. When the game was released, the amount of bugs I encountered was surprisingly minimal for the size of the game world. Skip to post launch, I hear CDPR work through National holiday to get patches out.

Now everyone are praising CDPR about the game, DRM free and FREE DLCs... but does anyone think that CDPR are overworking? Just a thought... that's all
.:hmm:

I have the feeling that they have been, and they probably have been burnt out for months. Hopefully with some of the bigger bugs squished they will have a chance for some time off and maybe afford to have some people go on vacation.

I've been thinking lately, Witcher 3 is a huge bigger than GTA 5 and Skyrim and not to mention the staff numbers are less than Bethesda. When the game was released, the amount of bugs I encountered was surprisingly minimal for the size of the game world. Skip to post launch, I hear CDPR work through National holiday to get patches out.

Now everyone are praising CDPR about the game, DRM free and FREE DLCs... but does anyone think that CDPR are overworking? Just a thought... that's all

Why overworking? How can you know if you are not in their office?
BTW how do you know that they worked on holiday (4th June)? The exe digital signature reports a date of "‎Wednesday, ‎June ‎3, ‎2015 22:54:16"; the patch was released yesterday because they wanted to release at the same time of the PS4 one.

Why overworking? How can you know if you are not in their office?
BTW how do you know that they worked on holiday (4th June)? The exe digital signature reports a date of "‎Wednesday, ‎June ‎3, ‎2015 22:54:16"; the patch was released yesterday because they wanted to release at the same time of the PS4 one.

From all the behind the scenes for games and movies I've watched, before release staff gives their all, they're worked into the ground. I imagine with game breaking issues that thousands were experiencing that CDPR employees would be working long and hard, although not necessarily on the holiday.

They have a few hundred employees, some of them will most likely be pushing extra hours to get a patch out in time. Hope they are getting paid extra tho. Nothing kills motivation like unpaid overtime.

I look at it this way, they have a job to do, they are working and they get paid to make this game more amazing as time goes by.
If they don't want to make the game the very best it can be for them/for us, then they ought to find some place else to work maybe.
I don't know... I just feel, that these guys and gals, really do care about making this game the very best it can be. I think they delight in making some of us crazy fans happy as well. They are giving their very best, I mean look at this fucking game! It's Incredible, no one has ever made an open world game feel and look so alive!
The only folks CDPR are in league with is Rockstar Games! But, I find it crazy amazing that CDPR is a small team and have managed to already pull off what they have so far and the beauty is.. that they give a fuck and are diligently working hard to improve this game each and everyday, for them and for us!
:)

I think I would find it a bit frustrating as part of the team at CDPR if when we worked hard for weeks to create update patches..
those patches still did not improve the aspects of the game they were intended for on some people's hardware.

Things like people losing performance on their pc when a patch was intended to improve it...
or people unhappy with the draw distance.. and things like that..

I think it's very hard to get the game bang on perfect, it takes longer than weeks to achieve it I think,
and even then 100% perfect is unattainable.
So there will always be people who are unhappy with something..

Personally I think currently the draw distance in the game is an issue... and CDPR may have to go backwards and forwards with patches to get something like too a high standard and still keep a good frame rate and good performance for the majority.

The bottom line is tho' I would rather be working on the game than not working, and I'm sure CDPR feel the same.

Last edited:

There's work and then there's work. I don't care if you sit on your ass in front of a computer for 15 hours a day. People out their who actually do physically demanding work would most likely trade places if their was an option. It's all perspective and you don't appreciate what you have until its not there anymore.

I don't think they're overworking, I believe they have schedules but they have to differentiate priorities.They should only focus on ironing out the bugs first, make it priority above all else. Once it reached a point where every single quest works without any big problem and noone is complaining about quest problem anymore, then move on to other things like performance or other things. Right now every patch has wider area of focus while mostly people will be satisfied with just their problems gone. Right now they fixed things but then broke other things.

Last edited:
I am sure they must be doing overtimes, it's normal in development. I do freelance development and do overtimes most of the time, it's not always because you want to meet deadlines but because you know that there is bug in there and it irritates you. It doesn't allow you to rest, sometimes I woke up at 3:00 AM and try to fix the damn things because I keep thinking about them and can't sleep. So when the project is as big as TW3 then I am sure they want to fix issues as fast as they can not to mention they are listening to fan feedback too which is very negative at times thus doesn't allow you to feel comfortable.

I hope they find some rest before speeding up even more difficult stuff like RedKit, expansion packs and who knows what unannounced content for the game, they deserve some rest.

@vader1701

Doesn't change the fact that they are doing hard work, sit in front of computer for 9 hours looking at paragraphs of code, tracing some nasty bug and then I'll ask how it feels inside your skull and eyes. All work areas require some sort of technical expertise which others cannot hope to understand so I don't see how you're evaluating hard work here ? no offense but the people who have no sense of appreciation are the worst kind in this world.

I would not be surprised that they are working a lot of overtime now. And I respect them for it. I just hope it wont affect their health. While I don't know these people, there is a lot of personality in this game that shows what a great team they have working on this game. I just love small details in games, such as minor stuff like how Geralt's hair is tucked inside the collar of the Ursine armor set when it is upgraded. I bet a lot of these devs spent hours on stuff they might think no one will even notice, but they do it because they care. But I usually notice things like this, and I am truly grateful for all their hard work. This is my all time favorite game now, after over 20 years of gaming.

Well I know at least one of them isn't :D Went shopping today in Nottingham, UK and as I went into this quirky backshop who do I see but a gentleman sat with his girlfriend wearing a Witcher 3 Team t-shirt.... I fangirled a little bit and had to walk round the shop a little bit before going over and saying a big thankyou for making such an incredible game, lovely guy who was part of the sound team, appeared to be on holiday from Poland so at least some are having a break :)

I can't help but think of the mysterious insider who came out months ago and claimed they were 'selling a game that didn't exist' and they were in crunch time for over a year. I also feel if that guy was legit, he won't find a studio that doesn't do crunch time. CDPR touts their ethics and I'm pretty sure that includes how they treat employees. One of the art designers moved from the US over a year ago and in the last dev dairy I noticed he's still there. That says something in my eyes.

Keep in mind guys, they are paid by salary. So even after finishing game employees can't just go on a holiday. It's not like the old ps2 days, you release a game and you can go to the next. This is a small company most employees are probably just working on the witcher. Cyberpunk is probably 2-3 years away. It's not a stretch to say most are not doing overtime

Top Bottom