Are New Games ( Post 2003) Crappier Than 2003 and before games?

+

Are New Games ( Post 2003) Crappier Than 2003 and before games?

• Total voters
@Hoplon that's kinda the point to me. PC gaming expanded to console market, resulting in schizofrenic trilogies and a lot of shit multiplatform shooters to play with poor control devices. Games like dark souls are welcomed but im still waiting for mirrors edge 2 or a decent dmc/bayonetta because they are risky and everything. If it wasnt for the indie and crowd funding scenes lots of people wouldnt play at all

Last edited:
But I think that the important thing is that the indie market DOES exist, and that companies like CDPR exist. The fact that gaming is now a mass market does result in a lot more really crap games, and games that are designed for casual gamers, and yes, some of the bigger gaming companies have moved towards supporting that market, going for quantity instead of quality.

But that huge number of gamers introduced to gaming by the dumbed-down products also results in more people developing a serious interest in gaming, which will continue to drive the market for games that stretch their abilities, and demand more from the gamers.

Im also waiting for a decent tps/platform thing. Its been more than a decade since the first max payne and Cloudbuilt is the best i could find. Now i have to wait for the next udk

Forum veteran
Understand that considering single stuff makes everything unoriginal while ss2 aimed for a narrative continuity only half life got perfect. Thief storytelling is still one of the smartest ones too
Um... can you rephrase this? I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. At the very least, I don't think "narrative continuity" means what you think it means.

I made sure to leave ss2's bit of innovation intact. It's Looking Glass we are talking about ffs: P
Regarding narrative continuity i'm talking about a continuous experience from a single point of view in the present time that stays the way it is. The story is told through logs, supernatural stuff, infos, chars; anything allowing players to keep control on their doings until the story dictates otherwise

Last edited:
The story is told through logs, supernatural stuff, infos, chars; anything allowing players to keep control on their doings until the story dictates otherwise

I do like this. Increases my sense of belief in the world.

How did you find Spec Ops: The Line?

I think SS2's story is way better than HL's. It was great too, but for me what HL had was great level design until you visited the alien dimension... from there on level design was atrocious.

Forum veteran
Regarding narrative continuity i'm talking about a continuous experience from a single point of view in the present time that stays the way it is. The story is told through logs, supernatural stuff, infos, chars; anything allowing players to keep control on their doings until the story dictates otherwise
Okay, I understand what you're saying now, but what makes Half Life a perfect example of this? Plenty of other games utilize that hands-on approach to exposition at least as well as it did. In fact, given how loose the criteria have to be to include a game where you end up knocked out in a cutscene that takes away all player agency, several arguably better games fall under that definition, many of them being fairly recent. Far Cry 3, Bastion, Dishonored, the Bioshock games, pretty much every adventure game ever...

Half Life is a great game that was obviously genre-defining, but I'm calling nostalgia glasses on it being the pinnacle of that kind of gameplay.

How did you find Spec Ops: The Line?
I endured it maybe hour or two. Story seemed interesting but unfortunately the gameplay was utterly boring with basically no tactical element what so ever.

On the original topic. If the year would have been 2007 I would have said games older games used to be better but 2003 is so far so I'll root for new games...
I just surprised myself :)

Nostalgia is a bitch, aint it?

I for one am fucking glad we have evolved, or, should I say, some of us have evolved into more sophisticated realms of gaming. Stories and storytelling have been around forever, and if you hear the same story over and over again of course it's gonna get stale.

What about a game that lets YOU make the story? Enter Cyberpunk 2077. I hope.

Of course the video game industry wants to be more like the film industry. They want more bigger faster better like everyone does. Everything new sucks, right? So we should give up, stop creating art/music/games/films and just sit on the old shit until we're dead and gone. Well I hope that turns out well for ya.

Half Life is still the closest thing to virtual reality around. Don't know what people mean with evolving unless we are talking about half life issues

Top Bottom