Are you "still" playing Fallout 4?

+

Are you "still" playing Fallout 4?

• Never heard of it.

• I have seen it. I may play (try) it someday.

• Played it but have not touched it in years.

• Still play it once in a while.

• Oh yes! Every few weeks or so. It holds up even to todays games.

• HELL YES! More than a few hours a week! I love the game IP!

Results are only viewable after voting.
The only new mods that look popular on Nexus are some new attempts at survival mechanics. Nothing in the posted videos looks the slightest bit interesting to me. I enjoyed FO4, but have no desire to reinstall and play it. Bethesda destroyed the franchise for me with the FO 76 cash grab. A lot of old time Fallout players will say that they destroyed the franchise with FO3.

Speaking of FO3, doe the FO3 remake fix the bug where the main character is crying about "Where's my DAD ?!!!!!????!!" every five minutes of the game? Technically speaking, it's a game design rather than a bug. But no game bug has ever annoyed me more.

So I am trying to pinpoint what it was about FO4 Gun crafting that was better than Metro Exodus. I watched videos on to refresh my thoughts. ME is very similar to FO4.

This first thing that I saw (the components) I have already said, it is very immersive to actually pick up a metal pipe out of a junk yard then attach it to the gun. ME, like CP2077 all you get are generic “widgets” that only exist as a number in your menu.

But also, I see that most of the information I need to make decisions about the crafting is all on one menu in FO4. And the changes in the weapon stats are highlighted with a symbol. And any skill bonus or penalty is shown as well as a reminder.

Whereas in ME you must cross refence more.

I really do not like havening to cross refence sperate menus, but I guess the main reason for my preference is the immersive components that only Bethesda’s Engine can do. Other games (all the ones I have played so far) must go with the widget style of components.
XdPRcgz4phwDcSgDjByEBX.jpg
weapon-mods-customization-fallout-4.jpg

I like Outer Worlds but OMG it is hard to make decisions on the equipment because of the cross refencing you must do between menus.

Last edited:
A lot of old time Fallout players will say that they destroyed the franchise with FO3.
And a lot of old time Fallout players would be wrong, as usual. Franchise was in shambles after Brotherhood of Steel flopped and Interplay declared bankruptcy. If it wasn't for Bethesda and massive success of Fallout 3, there would be no revitalized interest in series and, as a consequence, no New Vegas, which utilizes the same engine, models and mechanics.

This is interesting:

I just got this one as well (feral ghouls):
But I am editing it now to remove the spitters. Or at least make the spit range more believable.

Thanks for that! I admit I am a bit more interested in the FO:NV revival mod than an FO3 mod but I'll probably install it. The feral ghoul one is certainly interesting though.

And a lot of old time Fallout players would be wrong, as usual. Franchise was in shambles after Brotherhood of Steel flopped and Interplay declared bankruptcy. If it wasn't for Bethesda and massive success of Fallout 3, there would be no revitalized interest in series and, as a consequence, no New Vegas, which utilizes the same engine, models and mechanics.

This.

So much this. Whenever I see this argument of Bethesda ruining the franchise I cringe a bit. The franchise was effectively dead before Bethesda picked it up. FO2 remains one of my favorite games to this day and so does the universe and I certainly think FO:NV is a superior product than FO3/4 in some very important ways but if it wasn't for Bethesda the franchise would've probably never been revived.

This.

So much this. Whenever I see this argument of Bethesda ruining the franchise I cringe a bit. The franchise was effectively dead before Bethesda picked it up. FO2 remains one of my favorite games to this day and so does the universe and I certainly think FO:NV is a superior product than FO3/4 in some very important ways but if it wasn't for Bethesda the franchise would've probably never been revived.

No. We have Wasteland 3, Baldurs Gate 3... I'm pretty sure we would have Fallout 3 even without Bethesda. Maybe not Van Buren but something for sure.

The point is, no-one but Bethesda cand do Fallout and, no matter what you think about it, it is not continuation of the original. That is the way they "killed it".

Aggain, no hard feelings, it makes complete sense what they did and how they did it and they do have success with it. But the old Fallout died as result, no doubt and there is nothing cringe about it (Perhaps except when people gets hatefull).

Well, there is a posibility of a New Vegas 2 now. But actually Microsoft could go crazy and go back to classic series-I doubt-, imagine in their new game conference starting with that:
I really doubt it will ever happen despite they being part of MS. My wish is that they would be allowed to create paralell universe for Fallout as some comics series do. Also not gonna happen though.

No. We have Wasteland 3, Baldurs Gate 3... I'm pretty sure we would have Fallout 3 even without Bethesda. Maybe not Van Buren but something for sure.

It's nothing but pure speculation though. I'm still waiting for a revival of Dungeon Keeper, plenty of clones have proven the series could still be lucrative, yet, here we are in a world with no Dungeon Keeper 3.

One could make the argument the reason we are seeing Wasteland 3 and BG3 is in part because of studios like Bethesda proving that reviving old (and very dead) franchises can be very lucrative.

Regardless of any speculation on our part, Bethesda is effectively the only reason the franchise is still alive today.

Maybe from a purists standpoint it is not a continuation, from my standpoint, they are. I'm saying that as a fan who was introduced to isometric RPGs through the original Fallout and Fallout 2. I hold both games in very high regards. I don't see Bethesda's adaptation as "killing" the older games. Just saying "no matter what you think" doesn't make it so :shrug:

I also know there is no point in discussing that particular aspect of the series evolution though, so let's leave it at agree to disagree.

Been playing it lately after a long layoff. Modded to hell, of course. played all of them 'cept that 76 cash grab.

Just saying "no matter what you think" doesn't make it so :shrug:

Just a small thing:
I did not mean it that "no matter what you think Fallout is not continuation" but rather "whenever you like or dislike Fallout 3, it is not continuation" and I'm fully aware I only present my opinions. Just wanted to say it is not question of quality to me.
I have to corret this couse I really dislike the "That is fact. period." It is just poor wording on my part.

So I am trying to pinpoint what it was about FO4 Gun crafting that was better than Metro Exodus. I watched videos on to refresh my thoughts. ME is very similar to FO4.

This first thing that I saw (the components) I have already said, it is very immersive to actually pick up a metal pipe out of a junk yard then attach it to the gun. ME, like CP2077 all you get are generic “widgets” that only exist as a number in your menu.

But also, I see that most of the information I need to make decisions about the crafting is all on one menu in FO4. And the changes in the weapon stats are highlighted with a symbol. And any skill bonus or penalty is shown as well as a reminder.

Whereas in ME you must cross refence more.

I really do not like havening to cross refence sperate menus, but I guess the main reason for my preference is the immersive components that only Bethesda’s Engine can do. Other games (all the ones I have played so far) must go with the widget style of components.
View attachment 11278819View attachment 11278822
I like Outer Worlds but OMG it is hard to make decisions on the equipment because of the cross refencing you must do between menus.

I actually re-install Fallout 4 and load my last saves from 2016 to check the weapon crafting (after a while running around in Power Armour, finding out how to get rid of it). It still looks quite good, even without the texture pack. If there will be re-mades of hte older Fallouts I will probably try it.

I re-played Metro Exodus recently (because the RT update and it looks and runs great—except low res textures spoils it little bit).
The upgrades all have their specific model, like in F4. It is not just numbes in the inventory. Even realoading may be different as result.
In Metro, the changes are presented by bars having different colour (grey are if losing stat, white if you gain) so there is reference and it is even more exact (though I would prefer numbers over bars)
1644064682371.png
1644064816339.png

I think htat the main difference is the amount of the weapons you can have and modify and the fact you can craft the upgrades while in Metro you have to find them (which both make sense in their given universe and genre).

I like both and honestly can't say one is better to me.

Well fallout is pretty much TES nowdays so i kinda get the fans of the older games but i dont really agree with it all. Sadly the story seem too take a backseat in most of bethestas open world rpgs (main story. still can have some great sidestory content) i dont find them horrible but kinda meh. What i really love is the modding tho so i rarely really play the main story unless i kinda have too. Fallout 4 is probably the weakest one outa the bunch tho, lucky theres soooooo much else too do and the expansions are pretty great too.

Fallout 1 and 2 are classics and i love them dearly. But without bethesta buying the IP i think there would not been a FO3 and probably not alot of the great new wave of cRPGs thats been comming out lately(also thx too crowdfunding).

Well fallout is pretty much TES nowdays so i kinda get the fans of the older games but i dont really agree with it all. Sadly the story seem too take a backseat in most of bethestas open world rpgs (main story. still can have some great sidestory content) i dont find them horrible but kinda meh. What i really love is the modding tho so i rarely really play the main story unless i kinda have too. Fallout 4 is probably the weakest one outa the bunch tho, lucky theres soooooo much else too do and the expansions are pretty great too.

Fallout 1 and 2 are classics and i love them dearly. But without bethesta buying the IP i think there would not been a FO3 and probably not alot of the great new wave of cRPGs thats been comming out lately(also thx too crowdfunding).
As an open world Wasteland shooter, I enjoyed FO3. As an RPG, I had to console my way through the main mission because I thought it was so terrible. Although I did like the President. As an open world Wasteland shooter, I also enjoyed FO4. As an RPG, I had to console my way through the main mission because I thought it was terrible, and I also resented
being forced to kill my own son, who had become a monster.

So, back to the original question, I don't play it any longer, and don't have any interest in doing so. I would have some interest if a high quality complete overhaul came out, that turned it into a different RPG. Nothing I've seen leads me to believe that the engine is being used successfully by modders to create an entirely new game.

Last edited:
When Fallout 4 launched, it was the first game on my new pc. Finished the story once, had fun building settlements, crafting weapons and exploring the world, but stopped playing it after a month or two. Never got into mods, since I stopped playing it pretty early after release. Right now, it's one of those games I'm considering replaying if there's nothing to play later this year. Specifically, would like to try out Far Harbor DLC, then maybe install some mods.

I have played it. Last time I played it was in march 2020. Its one of the better open world games out there, even if I normally heavily dislike post-apocalyptic setting (one of my credos is that I want the game world to be one where I would want to live in)

I also didn't like FO4s standard three endings, which felt too railroaded to a hero to my taste. Thankfully theres a lot of the world to explore past those plus raiders.

having different colour (grey are if losing stat, white if you gain) so there is reference and it is even more exact (though I would prefer numbers over bars)

I like both and honestly can't say one is better to me.

THANKS for the heads up on the grey color text. That will help me a lot. But we disagree on the two being the same. Bethesda's immersive component system makes the gun crafting a little better.

I know that the poll is small sample and I'm sure that it suffers from population bias in this forum , but kind of says that modabbility/replayability(main selling point of Fallout 4 I would say) is less important than what some people assume.

I know that the poll is small sample and I'm sure that it suffers from population bias in this forum , but kind of says that modabbility/replayability(main selling point of Fallout 4 I would say) is less important than what some people assume.

That's quite a leap to conclusion. Especially after acknowledging there is probably quite a lot of population bias here.

It is a 7 years old game after all. The vast majority of people aren't playing the same game for 7+ years.

It's far too small of a sample using a very old game to come to any reliable conclusion about the importance of replayability or modability. Replayability is not a necessity in all games but it is always a major plus IMO :shrug:

That's quite a leap to conclusion. Especially after acknowledging there is probably quite a lot of population bias here.

It is a 7 years old game after all. The vast majority of people aren't playing the same game for 7+ years.

It's far too small of a sample using a very old game to come to any reliable conclusion about the importance of replayability or modability.
Well, is why I acknowledge that 1st. But quite often, you see the lack of mod support in CP2077 being thrown in this forum as "CDPR is killing that IP","give power to the modders!"... and I've always thought (and said a couple of times) that mod support is nice (I mean, nobody forces you to use it is an extra) but I strongly suspect that majority of people don´t think that much about mod support when making a purchase or deciding whether a game is good or bad.

Top Bottom