Areas where "The Witcher 4" should ideally improve.

+

Tuco

Forum veteran
I played TW3 to completion and I can't exactly say I hated it. In fact I more or less enjoyed my time with it.
Still, I had two main gripes with the game:

- the completely redundant, unnecessary and immersion-breaking leveling system. Levels in this game served literally NO other purpose than adding a layer of number bloat on a system that could have worked perfectly without them. In fact, you could revamp the entire game to work entirely on unlocking talents and getting better gear without leveled main character and enemies, and as a result STILL have a deeply imbalanced system where power creep became too marked anyway.
In a best case scenario, though, a leaner system that did not create stupid incongruences like "Wild Hunt general level 9 followed by farmers with pitchforks level 45 thirty hours later".
A mistake that incidentally CDPR somehow managed to replicate even adapting Cyberpunk, a famously "level-less" progression system.

- the itemization, that suffered of several problems. Namely:

1) too much fucking loot in general. Not just equipment, I mean a boatload of crap you could (and were actively encouraged to) pick up at every step. Why everything had to contain something? Why you couldn't go two meters without a container turning orange with the Bat-vision? And more than anything why the hell game actively expected you to pick up wood planks, leather lacets, flasks of oil, pieces of silverware and tons of other pointless shit as sources for crafting materials? Don't tell me this system couldn't have been streamlined tenfolds (making you gather only few genuinely rare and meaningful materials in specific circumstances) and made significantly leaner and better in the process.

2) loot often randomly placed in ways that didn't make any sense. Examples may include: diamonds and rare alchemical reagents in a farmer's house or in some street trash pile, a book commenting on recent politics found in an "elven ruin no one visited for centuries", rakes and other gardening tools inside small containers and drawers and similar shit.

3) the range between low level equipment and high level one was TOO GODDAMN BROAD, going to add to the hideous stat bloat of the previous point. You had starting items doing 20-30 damage in the early hours and then end game ones going up in the high HUNDREDS. That's a 30X multiplier, which is insane and completely unnecessary... No, worse than that, actively detrimental to internal consistence in a non-linear open world game.

4) equipment being level gated, which is not just a questionable (let's even say horrible) decision in itself, but a direct consequence of the previous points (pointless leveling system and weapons scaling too much).

Past that, you have the usual complaints about the combat not being great (but frankly I found it at very least serviceable, at very least not significantly worse than many other in the genre -I'm looking at you, ELEX- and mostly ruined in its balance by the points mentioned above) and yeah, the "detective mode" in the overwhelming majority of quests being the usual mind-numbing "follow the dotted line" drivel of "modern game design".

Personal opinions and all that, of course.

Why everything had to contain something? Why you couldn't go two meters without a container turning orange with the Bat-vision? And more than anything why the hell game actively expected you to pick up wood planks, leather lacets, flasks of oil, pieces of silverware and tons of other pointless shit as sources for crafting materials? Don't tell me this system couldn't have been streamlined tenfolds (making you gather only few genuinely rare and meaningful materials in specific circumstances) and made significantly leaner and better in the process.
Why ?
Very simple I guess...
Maybe not attractive/interesting/fun for you, but I like that... If there is something to pickup, I'll take it and I'll never get bored. For example, in TW3 in particular, I clear each house of each village on the map. I assume I'm not alone to liking "looting", because there are plenty of games in the same case^^
So yes, possible to do without, but it would be less fun (for me). Like I already said on a Cyberpunk thread. You don't like looting, don't loot, simple as that.

Fully agreed. I very much preferred TW2 in that regard
Post automatically merged:

Why ?
Very simple I guess...
Maybe not attractive/interesting/fun for you, but I like that... If there is something to pickup, I'll take it and I'll never get bored. For example, in TW3 in particular, I clear each house of each village on the map. I assume I'm not alone to liking "looting", because there are plenty of games in the same case^^
So yes, possible to do without, but it would be less fun (for me). Like I already said on a Cyberpunk thread. You don't like looting, don't loot, simple as that.
Wether you like looting or not, it is a must in TW3, if you want to craft those sweet Witcher gear sets

Tuco

Forum veteran
Why ?
Very simple I guess...
No, it's really NOT "as simple as that", because there's a system in place actively encouraging players to hoard anything that shines. A category that includes... Well, EVERYTHING, as far as Witcher vision is involved.

And while I'm aware that there are a lot of people like you that get easily addicted even to the dullest Skinner's box design, you'll forgive some of us for having a bare minimum of standards when it comes to game design and enjoying mechanics when they feel meaningful and satisfying rather than being just textbook busy work to pad your game time.

Yes, I do enjoy finding and collecting powerful and valuable items, especially when they feel unique, memorable and deservingly earned as the coronation of some achievement like beating a boss or finding a neat secret. That's why I stil have fond memories of some of the items I looted playing Baldur's Gate II even more than 20 years later.

Conversely I groan every time a game expect me to spend most of my time being the local trash collector and opening my inventory to compare ten variations of the same randomly generated item to check which one of them "rolled" the better stats.

No, it's really NOT "as simple as that", because there's a system in place actively encouraging players to hoard anything that shines. A category that includes... Well, EVERYTHING, as far as Witcher vision is involved.

And while I'm aware that there are a lot of people like you that get easily addicted even to the dullest Skinner's box design, you'll forgive some of us for having a bare minimum of standards when it comes to game design and enjoying mechanics when they feel meaningful and satisfying rather than being just textbook busy work to pad your game time.

Yes, I do enjoy finding and collecting powerful and valuable items, especially when they feel unique, memorable and deservingly earned as the coronation of some achievement like beating a boss or finding a neat secret. That's why I stil have fond memories of some of the items I looted playing Baldur's Gate II even more than 20 years later.

Conversely I groan every time a game expect me to spend most of my time being the local trash collector and opening my inventory to compare ten variations of the same randomly generated item to check which one of them "rolled" the better stats.
Not sure we played the same game...
Generally, except very early game, I always use witcher sets, which are anyway better than everything else... So I never spent lot of time to check stats of random loot that I picked up... Witcher sets that I'm able to craft as soon as I get the blueprint, because indeed... I spent a bit of time to pickup loot what the witcher vision show.

Anyway, I don't want to argue further about your "bare minimum of standards" and the fact that I have fun with "the dullest Skinner's box design". So I hope for you that CDPR will change their mind in their next game, but I doubt (and personnally hope not).

Tuco

Forum veteran
You clearly don't understand the issue.

I was talking in general, because that's how typically that type of loot system works. And that's how the underlying system would work in this game as well if not for the sets added on top.

But yes, in TW3 sets are by far the only thing worth using (at least once you reach a level where they become an option), and that's both its only redeeming quality when it comes to itemization (it allow the player to dismiss any other loot as vendor trash) and its damnation, because it serves only to stress even more how useless it is to deal with everything else and how the existence of any other item serves just to create busywork.

Incidentally that only solves the problem when it comes to equipment (clumsily, while shame like Gothic managed the whole "having few but meaningful sets" lightyears better), but not when it comes to items in general (plants, reagents, materials, minerals, etc) which still pile up to make the game loot system absurdly bloated and tedious to deal with,

Also, for what is worth I'm with you on expecting nothing from CDPR. They didn't learn with Cyberpunk, a game based on a pen&paper ruleset that already had NONE of the design issues they introduced, not sure why they should correct aim with the next game.

Especially when crap like looter shooters are super-popular anyway and there's always someone willing to vocally defend event the worst, most exploitative design choices.

Not to mention making a good itemization is hard and to go against market trends takes having a strong vision for your game rather than doing "design by committee" and going for the Ubisoft formula of "drown your user base in shit to distract them from the shallow gameplay loops".

CD Projekt Red should invest more time and resources into the creation of important animation assets - especially for any playable characters or horse mounts most people hope for a much better quality in this department.
A faster and more responsive reaction to any player input in combination with a better transition between different animation cycles would be desirable.

CD Projekt Red should invest more time and resources into the creation of important animation assets - especially for any playable characters or horse mounts most people hope for a much better quality in this department.
A faster and more responsive reaction to any player input in combination with a better transition between different animation cycles would be desirable.
Agreed. As much as I love TW games, responsive reactions to player inputs are not their forte.

Top Bottom