Broken DX 12 Patch

+
The patch today has broken performance with DX 12. Have been stress testing the game for a while so have a good idea of what the performance should be like.

After todays patch the game is struggling to hit 45fps at 1080p on the lowest possible settings where yesterday in the exact same area, conditions, and save the game was running in 4k at 60fps on ultra settings. 3200x1800 at ultra+. 1440p with ultra+, increased settings from the INI file and hairworks on. Now I cant even get a stable 45fps at 1080p on lower than low.

Also its worth noting I was able to get 1440p at 30fps on Ultra with RTGI, RT-Shadows, and RT-AO, with some custom performance settings yesterday on older Nvidia GTX hardware before the patch so not sure what this patch included that is now preventing that.

Will test DX 11 to see if the issue is there as well.
Post automatically merged:

Not happening in DX 11. Only DX 12 and repeatable by making sure the game starts with vsync on.

The settings I am testing on the game before would run at over 180fps. Way too fast. Now its hitting a wall and dropping to 40fps and 100% gpu utilization. SSR causing some of it, but even with it off its still only hitting 80fps so about double than what it is now but still nowhere near the level it should be at such low settings.

Guessing there is an issue with scaling, only thing i can think of that would cause such a huge drop in performance without any visual upgrades.

Sucks...was looking forward to actually getting to play the game today

Here are some images comparing the performance and why there is confusion as to what was added that is tanking the performance so much.

Image slider with all 3 for easier comparison of performance values in top left: https://imgsli.com/MTUyMzYz/0/1

Pre Patch, running so well the GPU is under-clocking itself on these settings
dx_12_pre_patch.jpg

Post Patch, exact same settings but with SSR on LOW, location, time, and save. Gpu is struggling and hitting power limits and at the edge for 100% exact same visuals. No headroom so when moving, in combat, or a more complex scene the fps drops.
dx_12_post_patch_ssr_off.jpg

Post Patch, with the exact same settings of SSR on High and you start seeing predicable pulsing in the GPU timings and the fps dropping to 40fps. Of course the reflections is better, but again...going from an underclocked GPU that will hit way over 100fps down to 40fps and stutters in the engine...something seems off.
dx_12_post_patch_ssr_on.jpg

Again, if you want to compare the pictures better, this link will help https://imgsli.com/MTUyMzYz/0/1. Hopefully these bugs can be worked out soon. If wanting more testing and data, feel free to contact me.

DirectX 11 for comparison. Also noticing the SSR "fixes" are not in place in DX11 and there is no difference between High and Low.

Image Slider comparing all images/tests between DX11 and DX12, SSR High vs Low, Pre Patch vs Post patch: https://imgsli.com/MTUyMzY5/5/4

DX 11 SSR High:
witcher3_2023_02_02_12_58_33_256.jpg

DX 11 SSR Low:
witcher3_2023_02_02_12_59_09_405.jpg

Same visual quality. Roughly same exact performance. Slider doesnt seem to change much. But it is at least working at pre-patch performance levels which is great, even if broken. Image Slider for easier comparison: https://imgsli.com/MTUyMzY5/5/4

Last edited:
it's seams to SSR work only on DX12, high looks good but this performance impact it's no aceptable, even better SSR results can be seen in Enchanced Water Mod with no visable FPS impact...

Bit pitty that you made screens with 60 FPS lock/ v-sync, thats dosn't show exacly what is peforamance diffrences between thoues settings. Overall good work and if u can update screens without lock/v-sync thats will be great.

Even with the SSR off by setting to LOW, the gpu is maxing out and becoming unstable vs pre-patch where it was extremely smooth.

The performance can be seen in the clock values, gpu usage, wattage, volts, and timing. If you go just by fps without caps you can introduce some other stuff into the equation that gives you different values. This way is a bit cleaner and helps to detect issues with DX12/Vulkan causing the GPU to stay on full power instead of letting it downclock where if you left uncapped you would never catch the bug. See witcher 2 on vulkan for examples of that, or anyone complaining about a game frying their gaming laptop because its always maxed out.

Getting the feeling this is all due to issues with scaling. Possibly the effects are not using the correct resolution set in game and instead using the max native resolution (in this case 4k). FSR scaling seems to help things...but its odd when i lower the resolution down manually to 1080p I receive 0 benefits in performance. Anything below 1080p it skyrockets to multi hundred level fps...basically anything where it has to scale up to get to a resolution supported by the display (1080p being its lowest supported).

Top Bottom