Building a gaming PC

+
Vulkan will help with using multiple GPUs at the same time.

It's not exactly helping; developers can make better use of all those GPUs, but they have to explicitly implement multi-GPU rendering, which means a lot of additional effort for an absolute niche market. I don't expect to see an increase in multi-gpu support, on the contrary. Except for possibly VR, multi-GPU is dying.

---------- Updated at 05:34 PM ----------

The GTX 1070 costs 500€ ;_; Well, guess I go with AMD this time.

I wonder how much longer people will run along with nvidia milking them harder with each new chip generation.

Wow 500 € seriously? I thought the GTX 970 was very well priced at $350 (similar in Euros I suppose), but this is on a whole new level...

Wow 500 € seriously? I thought the GTX 970 was very well priced at $350 (similar in Euros I suppose), but this is on a whole new level...

And the 1080/1070 GPU GP104 is even smaller than the 970/980 GM204 - meaning, the later top dog cards based on larger GPUs will be even further ahead of those new cards than we saw with Maxwell. Expect 1500$ for a 1080Ti then. 2000$+ for a Pascal Titan. :rofl:

And the 1080/1070 GPU GP104 is even smaller than the 970/980 GM204 - meaning, the later top dog cards based on larger GPUs will be even further ahead of those new cards than we saw with Maxwell. Expect 1500$ for a 1080Ti then. 2000$+ for a Pascal Titan. :rofl:

And they will still sell like hot cakes.

Isn't it supposed to be around $380 for the OEM models? Or maybe a bit more because of added features (OC, better cooling and stuff). 500 Euros seem too extreme. It's probably because there is a lack of supply and a lot of demand now. It should normalize after a while.

Edit: Even EVGA is selling the Founder's Edition (which is supposed to be more expensive) for $450 now, if you check their website. There is an issue here somewhere...

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6170-KR

And $420 for the ACX 3.0 cooling version: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6171-KR

Isn't it supposed to be around $380 for the OEM models? Or maybe a bit more because of added features (OC, better cooling and stuff). 500 Euros seem too extreme. It's probably because there is a lack of supply and a lot of demand now. It should normalize after a while.

Edit: Even EVGA is selling the Founder's Edition (which is supposed to be more expensive) for $450 now, if you check their website. There is an issue here somewhere...

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6170-KR

And $420 for the ACX 3.0 cooling version: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6171-KR

Cheapest ones are 480€. The prices have actually increased in the last two days. Most cards are around 500€.

Edit: Prices of electronics in Europe are with VAT.

Well, all this waiting for an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW has sparked the desire for an entirely new rig so I ordered some parts:

Case: Fractal Design R5
Additional Fans x2: Fractal GP14
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4
Hard Drive: OCZ Vector180 480 GB SSD
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI
PSU: EVGA 850W gold rated, fully modular
Processor: i7 6800K
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15

I'm going to use my current four hard drives plus the blu-ray drive from my current rig (not really needed but since I already have it why not?). Until I can get my hands on the new GTX 1080 I'm going to be stuck running my current GTX 680 lol. It'll be interesting to run some benchmarks with the GTX 680 to see how it performs with the new parts vs my old PC.

Last edited:
Well, all this waiting for an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW has sparked the desire for an entirely new rig so I ordered some parts:

Case: Fractal Design R5
Additional Fans x2: Fractal GP14
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4
Hard Drive: OCZ Vector180 480 GB SSD
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI
PSU: EVGA 850W gold rated, fully modular
Processor: i7 6800K
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15

I'm going to use my current four hard drives plus the blu-ray drive from my current rig (not really needed but since I already have it why not?). Until I can get my hands on the new GTX 1080 I'm going to be stuck running my current GTX 680 lol. It'll be interesting to run some benchmarks with the GTX 680 to see how it performs with the new parts vs my old PC.

Broadwell-E is a poor Overclocker.

Broadwell-E is a poor Overclocker.

Correct, it is. I should be able to get the 6800k to 4.0 GHz which is plenty fast enough and at that speed it actually compares (performance-wise) with previous gen Haswell chips that are 4.2/4.3 GHz due to architectural improvements. I want 6 cores since games like The Witcher 3, Crisis 3, Ashes of the Singularity and many upcoming games actually take advantage of more than 4 cores and I also do things like streaming, transcoding videos, etc. that will easily max out 6 cores.

Another useful feature of Broadwell-E is that you can individually overclock each core meaning you can further optimize the overclock and then assign process affinity for programs to run off the faster cores. As an example, your overclock for each core may look something like this: 3.9 GHz, 4.1 GHz, 4.2 GHz, 4.0 GHz, 4.0 GHz, 4.1 GHz. If you knew a program was mostly single threaded you could set it to run off the faster 4.2 GHz core.

Last edited:
You don't need 850W, never. 500W is enough if you overclock both GPU and CPU to red hot. I'd recommend 400-450W.

Sure, if I wanted to be running at 95% utilization of the PSU. Many PSU's are more efficient between 50-80% utilization and tend to degrade over the years (causing BSOD or other issues if you're already running them at 95% utilization). This 850W ensures I have enough power to overclock both the PSU, GPU, power the 4 system fans and 4 hard drives and gives me a bit of leeway for expanding in the future.

Sure, if I wanted to be running at 95% utilization of the PSU. Many PSU's are more efficient between 50-80% utilization and tend to degrade over the years (causing BSOD or other issues if you're already running them at 95% utilization). This 850W ensures I have enough power to overclock both the PSU, GPU, power the 4 system fans and 4 hard drives and gives me a bit of leeway for expanding in the future.

Then go with 500. 850 is simply pointless. Your system will not draw more than 300-400W at the very highest while gaming. With an 850W PSU you'll be around 20-30% load, which is not even the region with the highest efficiency. After the 80+ regulations, 50% load is where the efficiency sweet spot is located, while below at 20 and 10% it drops off. Therefore, you effectively lose efficiency with such an oversized PSU.

Then go with 500. 850 is simply pointless. Your system will not draw more than 300-400W at the very highest while gaming. With an 850W PSU you'll be around 20-30% load, which is not even the region with the highest efficiency. After the 80+ regulations, 50% load is where the efficiency sweet spot is located, while below at 20 and 10% it drops off. Therefore, you effectively lose efficiency with such an oversized PSU.

Have you actually calculated the wattage? You are severely underestimating how much power the system will use. I've put the system specs into a calculator for you (I had to use a Haswell equivalent of the CPU since they didn't have the i7 6800K listed but it draws close to the same power): Watts Used.

That's showing that with a 90% TDP my system will be pulling roughly 595W which will fall into the 50-80% efficiency range of the 850W PSU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom