Can't escape Devil's Pit (Witcher 3)

+
Hello
I started playing the Witcher 3, and finished the first part. I came across the Quest "In the Eternal Fire's Shadow". My level is too low to continue the quest, unfortunately I am stuck in a pit with 4 Ghoul like enemies.
The problem is that I cannot escape the pit. In order to run away from my enemies Geralt has to climb/ jump, but unfortunately I am always stuck in the combat mode. I am playing on X Box S, so when I press B in order to climb he does these backdashs. Sometimes I manage to run but the moment I want to climb he is again in combat mode.
How can you get out of combat efficiently and climb your way out of the pit?

I guess you don't have a preious save to reload ?
On side note, if you have a hard time with the "random" enemies, I assume it will be (very, very) hard when facing the "boss" :(
Maybe consider to lower the difficulty at max, simply to beat these 4 enemies and get out (In my opinion, against high level enemies, the most "effective" is to use IGNIS, because you have chance to apply a burning effect which make them unable to attack and (not sure), but IGNIS damages are a % of the health).

Last edited:
Have you tried manually sheathing your sword? Just before you try to climb sheath your sword and it may switch out of combat mode long enough to start the climb

I tried manually sheathing my sword unfortunately Geralt understands this as an invitation to start a fist fight with those enemies.
The enemies were not "random" they appeared after a cut scene. It's just frustrating that I can't climb a ledge that is knee high, because I am stuck in combat mode.

I tried manually sheathing my sword unfortunately Geralt understands this as an invitation to start a fist fight with those enemies.
The enemies were not "random" they appeared after a cut scene. It's just frustrating that I can't climb a ledge that is knee high, because I am stuck in combat mode.
When I say "random" it's because they're not "bosses".
Honestly, except reloading a previous save, I don't know how you can escape (the only other "way" would be to try to beat them. Lowering the difficulty and using IGNIS as much as possible)

Anyway, I also suggest to send a ticket to the support (It's not really a bug, but it's (very) annoying and can literally block player progression).
"Contact Us" button

Last edited:
When I say "random" it's because they're not "bosses".
Honestly, except reloading a previous save, I don't know how you can escape (the only other "way" would be to try to beat them. Lowering the difficulty and using IGNIS as much as possible)

That is unfortunate, as the main problem are the controls of the game. I hoped that I was just missing a button combination or anything that would help me to get out of combat mode. Thanks for your help though!

Maybe try reloading back to a prev checkpoint and get out of the cave, try this quest after leveling up.

This quest is sort of end-game quest.

Top Bottom