Capacity boosters practically make over-encumbrance non-existent

+
Capacity boosters are cheap to craft, and they give an enormous +50% carry weight for half hour. That practically eliminates any worry of getting over-encumbered at the worst possible time. Just craft 10 of these and you are probably good for the next 5-10 hours of gameplay. This game has to be the most generous in history in helping you with over-encumbrance. But I wonder if it is a good thing. The fear of getting over-encumbered at the worst possible time makes proper inventory management a major necessity in many RPGs. This aspect of RPGs has become a staple. But this little capacity booster removes that aspect. Why have a carry weight limit in the first place? Why even acquire perks and clothing that increase your carry weight?

The gameplay machanic is a pile of hot mess. This is just one single example of how lacking the game is in this aspect.

Anyway the mechanics is always not CDPR's strong suit. The system is kinda there for the sake of being there,but it's not intricate, innovative and intellectual. The vast majority of perks are just number increase. Why? Because the studio wanna cater to the lowest and largest nominator. Those players can't learn how to properly build a character or use effective tactics. CDPR need to ensure even those players can finish the game without too much trouble.

Back then when gaming was just a hobby for the minority, games were actually harder and requires some thought. Many games won't hesitate to punish you if you don't play it correctly: haphazardly assign your perks, bad aiming and slow reaction, etc. Nowadays the games are for the masses, and the masses are dumb for sure.

The only hope is modding.

Seriously? You want others to be inconvenienced with frequent over-encumbrance issues in a looter/shooter RPG. Capacity boosters is a welcome quality of life addition, a temporary version of titanium bones cyberware. There are other ways to mitigate the horrible game mechanic you cling to as an "RPG staple"; the vehicle stash has been mentioned, disassembly is another, drop points and traders willing to buy all sorts of trash all over. You must be absolutely livid over people running and jumping around with their loot and having fun haha.

If realism is what we aim for, we shouldn't be able to carry more weapons than the 3 you can quick-access no matter your body/athleticism/cyberware. It's not the weight issue, but the mass issue. The thing you now complain about is one of the things CDPR did RIGHT among many, many flaws of this potentially beautiful game. This alleged "RPG staple" should die on a bonfire - especially in games with high loot focus.

@HomerDOHSimpson
@Atletikus

You throw E$ away if you disassemble a lot. And you can't call your car in the middle of combat. Good luck finding an RPG without carry weight limitations of some kind, such as inventory slot limit and/or carry weight limit. It IS a staple and if don't like it then RPGs are not for you. The fact remains that a cheap consumable that adds +50% carry weight for half hour is ridiculously generous compared to other RPGs.

I guess.. I mean you can at any time drop or disassemble your inventory and it doesn't affect time passing in the game. But you can't craft or ingest consumables during combat.

I guess.. I mean you can at any time drop or disassemble your inventory and it doesn't affect time passing in the game. But you can't craft or ingest consumables during combat.

But you aren't looting during a fight. You usually loot afterwards, when you are out of combat mode.

It depends.. if I don't feel particularly threatened then ill pick up everything so I don't have to come back later. Or I may need to pick up ammo or guns to use during combat. When I'm feeling really bold I'll still stop to buy all the sodas in a vending machine even though I'm being attacked

Call a car or bike? Even when encumbered you can still drive around. Plus you can stash the load in the car boot for even more space. I have never used the boosters once, in 300 hrs of play. I never need to.

Call a car or bike? Even when encumbered you can still drive around. Plus you can stash the load in the car boot for even more space. I have never used the boosters once, in 300 hrs of play. I never need to.

You don't need it all the time, but in some situations it is essential. In a big interior area with a lot of weapon drops that you don't want to leave behind and you can't summon a car because the road is far away, taking a capacity booster is a big help. Other RPGs aren't that generous, that's my point. There is usually some kind of penalty involved. In Fallout 4, moving while over-encumbered costs you action points. And games that use inventory slots put a hard limit on how much you can carry.

Top Bottom