Cards that should get a complete rework

+
Ok, let us get started.

Cards that need a complete rework:
Sihil: It was never intended as it turned out, however for its current form it is not good enough and unless it can get buffed it should just be reworked, as its design is neither intended, nor should it stay as an unplayable version of a card that should not exist.

Morvudd: Monsters have no use for this in any way, Skellige has a Bear archtype, however Monsters neither have enough beasts to reach the absurd amount of 6 beasts to get the value = provision ratio, currently it serves no purpose, does not fit into its archtype and is unplayable.

Kiyan: This one should be obvious, it does not fi into NR, it surviving long enough to matter is practically impossible and the payoff is mediocre at best.
This is not how charging works and Kiyan being an objectively worse version of Lyrian Arbalest, a 5 Provision card is just an absurdity.
If nothing else this card makes no sense and has to get changed.

Reynard Odo: Not even comparable to Kiyan, however again this is not how Order works, Order units surviving is enough of a challenge, having an unnecessarily lowroll
card that screams winmoar is unnecessary.
Reynard adds 1 more charge, which can add up, is unnecessary, given that if those Order units survive you are very likely winning already, so he just lets you win harder and does nothing if you are losing.
The design is nonsensical.

Mandrake: Do I really need to point out that Spores does basically the same and is a 4 provision card, rather than an 8 provision card and does the same thing ?

Lambert Swordmaster: Another completely binary design and a card that can easily be played around by Resilience units, even if facing them.

Xavier Lemmens: The only thing it counters is Lippy and even then that is a stretch.
Does everyone remember Imlerith Sabbath ?
The issue was not that it had no counters, the issue was that it wins the game in case there were no counters and would trade favorably against its counters.
The only real way to use him against Lippy or Ghouls/Ozzrel is extremely specific, only usable in a hand full of matchups and even then mediocre.

Forbidden Magic: This is not how Cursed units work and once they manage to assemble there is no need for a pure control tool that is no longer useful once it gets usable.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
Kiyan: This one should be obvious, it does not fi into NR, it surviving long enough to matter is practically impossible and the payoff is mediocre at best. This is not how charging works and Kiyan being an objectively worse version of Lyrian Arbalest, a 5 Provision card is just an absurdity. If nothing else this card makes no sense and has to get changed.
Say what????? But, whaaaat??? I think you don't know how Kiyan works. While your point of Kiyan not being able to survive is true, you are 100% mistaken when you said 'payoff is mediocre at best'. An unattended Kiyan can wipe out the entire enemy board. If he has, lets say, 7 charges, he can do 7 damage, then 6 damage, then 5 damage, etc. practically wiping out the entire board. Haven't you seen Play Of The Month which showcased how Kiyan destroyed the entire enemy board?

Reynard Odo: Not even comparable to Kiyan, however again this is not how Order works, Order units surviving is enough of a challenge, having an unnecessarily lowroll card that screams winmoar is unnecessary. Reynard adds 1 more charge, which can add up, is unnecessary, given that if those Order units survive you are very likely winning already, so he just lets you win harder and does nothing if you are losing. The design is nonsensical.
Charges getting added-up is unnecessary? I am really sorry if I sound rude, but I don't think you understand the significance of Charges. One Charge given to Foltest Pride can mean even 5 or 6 points. One single charge can win you game depending on the unit and its ability. Your point about the Charge(d) unit staying alive is valid, but you can't say +1 charge to any units with charges is useless.

Mandrake: Do I really need to point out that Spores does basically the same and is a 4 provision card, rather than an 8 provision card and does the same thing ?
This is more understandable. This Reset was never explained well and even I was under the same impression that Mandrake is the same as Spores or even Artifact Compression is better than Mandrake. But NO! Just two ago I read a tweet from a CDPR employee's old tweet which mentioned about Reset (when he defended Emhyr's old/first ability after HC). Apparently Reset can be used on units that have Order or Time counters. He mentioned that if you use Mandrake on Villenthrethenmeth, his counter will be reset and he will kill another unit in 2 turns. I hope it would work for Order units too, where as you can use it on Isble or even Seltkirk and reuse them. Though I had never used it, when I read about it, it seemed interesting and viable and largely given a blind eye by the community. It is in my todo list. I will confirm it once I try it out.

Xavier Lemmens: The only thing it counters is Lippy and even then that is a stretch. Does everyone remember Imlerith Sabbath ? The issue was not that it had no counters, the issue was that it wins the game in case there were no counters and would trade favorably against its counters. The only real way to use him against Lippy or Ghouls/Ozzrel is extremely specific, only usable in a hand full of matchups and even then mediocre.
Xavier can be quite useful against MO, SK - Eist, and even sometimes against Francesca. Or it can be a counter to Blue Dream - you banishing your own unit. While this is not a great card, it is a tech card and can be useful in some match-ups and can be pathetic in all the rest.
Forbidden Magic: This is not how Cursed units work and once they manage to assemble there is no need for a pure control tool that is no longer useful once it gets usable.
Why not?

Agree on Reynard Odo. He is basically the same as Priscilla, because in the best case he will give 1 charge per turn, while Priscilla can already give 1 charge the turn she is played and is variable who to give the charge to which means that her charges are a lot more valuable. Furthermore, she synergizes with Lyrian Cavalry and Arabalest.
The only advantage Odo has is the 1 extra health he posses, which isn't really that usefull.

Mandrake does not only bring a unit back to base value, it resets cooldowns, refreshes charges and orders (and probably even purifies a unit. So, in the right deck it is extremly powerful.

Say what????? But, whaaaat??? I think you don't know how Kiyan works. While your point of Kiyan not being able to survive is true, you are 100% mistaken when you said 'payoff is mediocre at best'. An unattended Kiyan can wipe out the entire enemy board. If he has, lets say, 7 charges, he can do 7 damage, then 6 damage, then 5 damage, etc. practically wiping out the entire board. Haven't you seen Play Of The Month which showcased how Kiyan destroyed the entire enemy board?
[...]
I did not.
It appears I missunderstood him in that case, I was under the impression he would lose his charges.
In that case he may not be playable, however at the very least interesting.

[...]
Charges getting added-up is unnecessary? I am really sorry if I sound rude, but I don't think you understand the significance of Charges. One Charge given to Foltest Pride can mean even 5 or 6 points. One single charge can win you game depending on the unit and its ability. Your point about the Charge(d) unit staying alive is valid, but you can't say +1 charge to any units with charges is useless.
[...]
Thing is that he feels incredibly vulnerable and the Order units that really encourage him are even more vulnerable and tend to get the job done without him.
In case of Foltest Pride it means 1 charge you would get with Priscilla and Adept as well, only that those do not add it to other engines, but make the one you are aiming towards better.
Thing is that you need quite a few Order units that need to stay alive, just for this card to break even, which just means you are making an already vulnerable playstyle even more vulnerable for questionable payoff, I know of no examples in which you would not win anyways if said strong Order units survive, why add him if you do not even need that and you lose even worse in case you get countered ?
Edit:FG15-ISH7EG is right that Priscilla does basicly the same, without enforcing to play a lot of different vulnerable engines.
In case a powerful engine such as Foltest's Pride sticks you want to focus on it, rather than vomiting Order units instead.

[...]

This is more understandable. This Reset was never explained well and even I was under the same impression that Mandrake is the same as Spores or even Artifact Compression is better than Mandrake. But NO! Just two ago I read a tweet from a CDPR employee's old tweet which mentioned about Reset (when he defended Emhyr's old/first ability after HC). Apparently Reset can be used on units that have Order or Time counters. He mentioned that if you use Mandrake on Villenthrethenmeth, his counter will be reset and he will kill another unit in 2 turns. I hope it would work for Order units too, where as you can use it on Isble or even Seltkirk and reuse them. Though I had never used it, when I read about it, it seemed interesting and viable and largely given a blind eye by the community. It is in my todo list. I will confirm it once I try it out.
[...]
In that case it is usable, it is just that I never got an explanation for that keyword after homecoming, so the obvious result would be that it just resets points.
In that case I missunderstood the card and you are right that it should not be changed.

[...]
Xavier can be quite useful against MO, SK - Eist, and even sometimes against Francesca. Or it can be a counter to Blue Dream - you banishing your own unit. While this is not a great card, it is a tech card and can be useful in some match-ups and can be pathetic in all the rest.
[...]
It feels odd to have a card in the game that is mediocre as a tech card and pathetic outside of the intended matchups.
One would expect such a card to do work in the intended cases.

[...]
Why not?
I actually mixed up the Cursed and Speter tag, which does not change the argument.
Given that you either focus on a lot of Specter units and use Draug, in which case you aim to use him Round 3 and either finish it up with softening using Sabrina's inferno or an actual finisher, getting a 4-8 point removal on a single target is not valuable at that point.
In case you use Kaedweni Revenant's previously you need at the very least 5 to break even and if you get Kaedweni Revenant 2 times of after a Henselt or 3 times without Henselt you should be winning anyways and do not need small no-body removal.
Cursed Knight can be mentioned as an example for getting 2 more, however getting off the Caldwell Cursed Knight play and afterwards already get off a Kaedweni Revenant destroying a 1 point unit I doubt you need a 4/5 removal Spell and in case you do you should consider Alzur's Thunder for being not dead outside of that niche situation and being usable when you need it.

Top Bottom