CDPR claims 100% accuracy in identifying pirates, demands money from thousands

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
slimgrin said:
All I know is I still can't get the game to work on a regular basis and I didn't pirate shit. Any other GoG game I can delete and download at will, no problems at all. TW2 is a major fucking hassle each time, and the only reason I'm doing it is cause of their patches.

Who picks up the pieces? The mods. CDPR is too busy porting the funbox version. They have no official tech support that I know of.
Are you deleting the installer and re-downloading it each time? *cough* newbies... Maybe you should switch to consoles.

I had an issue with GOG and their patches and support as well, and I know where you're coming from. It still hasn't been resolved. Without veering off topic, I'll just say that from what I've seen, I think that their QC and organization is poor. Fortunately, they do have some redeeming qualities.

I just don't see how it has any relevancy concerning pirating the game, though.

Would just like to remind everyone that "articles" circulating on the net are not necessarily the "gospel" truth as it were . Now i`m not saying that they`re true and certainly not saying they`re false but just like almost everything else on the net they need to be taken with a grain of salt . Some websites are sort of like tv shows where sensationalism gets those sites a couple hundred thousand hits extra week and maybe those extra hits gives the site some extra dollars from the sponsors . Just saying if there was any merit in it that it would be all over the web instead of maybe a half dozen sites . Just something to ponder .

Forum veteran
Panlauf said:
Piracy discussion is for gamers like politics and religion to general people.

What is cool, but people lose their reason fast and fall to a biased debate really fast.
That's why we have to follow the same rules as religious discussion and treat opinions like penises. Having them is fine, but no trying to force them on other people.

Panlauf said:
Just saying if there was any merit in it that it would be all over the web instead of maybe a half dozen sites . Just something to ponder .
I count 12 on the first page of google news, just after googling "cdprojekt." We really need someone from Red to come in and give us their side of the story, though. This is a bit stacked against them at the moment and they should have a chance to respond before any of us make up our minds on any of this.

Tommy said:
Would just like to remind everyone that "articles" circulating on the net are not necessarily the "gospel" truth as it were . Now i`m not saying that they`re true and certainly not saying they`re false but just like almost everything else on the net they need to be taken with a grain of salt . Some websites are sort of like tv shows where sensationalism gets those sites a couple hundred thousand hits extra week and maybe those extra hits gives the site some extra dollars from the sponsors . Just saying if there was any merit in it that it would be all over the web instead of maybe a half dozen sites . Just something to ponder .

Yes, I think the reason so many legitimate users are upset is not because they have any good cause to be upset. It's because we've all been fed so much FUD by pirates and apologists for pirates that anytime a software developer threatens pirates with legal action, the first thing we think of is the big bad RIAA. That's why FUD is so damaging and needs to be called out for what it is, discounted, refuted, and ignored.

Forum veteran
GuyN said:
Yes, I think the reason so many legitimate users are upset is not because they have any good cause to be upset. It's because we've all been fed so much FUD by pirates and apologists for pirates that anytime a software developer threatens pirates with legal action, the first thing we think of is the big bad RIAA.
It's quite possible that what CDPR is doing is more thought-out and less haphazard than what the RIAA did. Still, the fact that legitimate users are upset at all has nothing to do with whether it's justified or not. That anger, even if it's unjustified, is a negative consequence that CDPR should have been aware of when they began this campaign (and in my mind, a legitimate argument against employing such methods, though I'm sure you disagree).

Whether or not there's sufficient cause for all the anger is irrelevant because the anger clearly exists either way, and that's something that's dangerous to CDPR's image. It's a PR nightmare that even an education campaign to fight against that FUD—assuming the best-case scenario where there are no missteps in any of these cases and all of our concerns are proven entirely unfounded—would likely be only marginally effective combating. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, this is all about emotion, and a lot of people aren't going to be able to be reasoned with while this is happening.

227 said:
It's quite possible that what CDPR is doing is more thought-out and less haphazard than what the RIAA did. Still, the fact that legitimate users are upset at all has nothing to do with whether it's justified or not. That anger, even if it's unjustified, is a negative consequence that CDPR should have been aware of when they began this campaign (and in my mind, a legitimate argument against employing such methods, though I'm sure you disagree).

Whether or not there's sufficient cause for all the anger is irrelevant because the anger clearly exists either way, and that's something that's dangerous to CDPR's image. It's a PR nightmare that even an education campaign to fight against that FUD—assuming the best-case scenario where there are no missteps in any of these cases and all of our concerns are proven entirely unfounded—would likely be only marginally effective combating. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, this is all about emotion, and a lot of people aren't going to be able to be reasoned with while this is happening.

^This. 100% This. In the last week, we've seen SOPA, Megaupload, Dajaz1.... Multiple examples of rapacious use of copyright laws by Big Content. It's probably the worst of all possible times for CDPR to have done this, regardless of whether they're doing it right or not.

I don't think they need to speak to us, although it would be nice. But they sure need to get the PR working overtime with the big tech/game media sites.

Mrowakus said:
As I said before some of the people I know - hardened pirates - bought the TW2 because they liked the approach CDP came out with - free DLC, whole box full of goodies, no DRM. After all those years of scamming gaming community on every corner (paid DLC cut away from original game - Mafia 2; or Collector's Edition being less of what standard edition used to be [compare Dragon Age 2 CE with TW2 Standard], bad ports of console games to PC [GTA4]) it seemed reasonable to voice their support. CDP Red reached them - I witnessed that. In this may they gained new clients - maybe 200 000, maybe more.

It's hard to believe now that the self same people won't feel threatened now - and they do, and they are. It feels like unbelieveable amount of work has been wasted just with this news. In effect CDP may lose clients instead of gaining them.

Pirates are not CDPR's target audience of potential customers/fanbase. No commercial company doing serious business is strategically targeting "grey areas" of the market. I don't see phone operators trying to attract people that are not paying their bills. And yeah, this 200.000 number - you could have put in something even more random, it would fit anyway. Can you please give us any source for this? Almost 20% of the game sales was made by pirates? n/c

Oh, and these poor people wouldn't feel so THREATENED if they, you know, were legally buying games. Only those with guilty conscience are going to feel threatened.

Mrowakus said:
I count 12 on the first page of google news, just after googling "cdprojekt." We really need someone from Red to come in and give us their side of the story, though. This is a bit stacked against them at the moment and they should have a chance to respond before any of us make up our minds on any of this.

Dear 227, did you read those sites carefully after googling them? Cause I did and although I can see some saying "I am not buying their games any more bla bla" - the majority of the comments is the way it should be - bashing pirates and supporting CDPR in this. So TBH I am a little bit less worried about their bad PR, cause it might not be that bad. Some potential sales will be lost, but I am sure they were aware of that when making their decision. I trust them that they know what they are doing for their business.

I don't think they will give us any message here, I mean any different than the public one. Their PR messaging in this case should be consistent all over the board, while I agree that their PR manager should be getting his own coffee machine for Christmas ;)

Forum veteran
gregski said:
Dear 227, did you read those sites carefully after googling them? Cause I did and although I can see some saying "I am not buying their games any more bla bla" - the majority of the comments is the way it should be - bashing pirates and supporting CDPR in this. So TBH I am a little bit less worried about their bad PR, cause it might not be that bad. Some potential sales will be lost, but I am sure they were aware of that when making their decision. I trust them that they know what they are doing for their business.
I don't think that even if we added up all of the comments from each article it would be a large enough sample size to tell us anything, but if we're going to take the number of people who are fine with it compared to the number of people who aren't, those who are fine with it do appear to have a small majority. Still, even if only 10% of people have a problem with this (and it's far more than that if we're judging based on comments, though again, there don't seem to be enough comments yet to extrapolate anything reflective of legitimate users as a whole), that's still a huge number of people.

Also keep in mind that this is without any "martyrs." All it takes is one sympathetic figure caught in the crossfire for many opinions to suddenly shift and massive PR damage to ensue.

WTH is CDPR doing? They should work on improving security measures not this. Didn't they learn anything from Metallica?

Fans. They’re the hardest thing to acquire. You can buy publicity, you can pay off distributors. There’s mutual self-interest. You want to sell and they want to profit. Newspapers don’t do stories on acts no one cares about, and television is only interested in stars. But fans are not doing business. There’s no financial payoff for being a fan. It’s an end-user application. You don’t build up your fandom and sell it. You own it. At least until it fades away when the act does something heinous, like stand up to Napster.

That’s haunting Metallica nearly a decade out. Metallica was right, but their fans thought they were wrong. And you always want to come out on the side of your fans. Metallica has learned its lesson. But the record labels have not.
-Source

Aver said:
If you would stole your neighbor's car you would go to jail even tho you didn't endanger someone's life. Punishment must be always way more expensive than profits for thief.

I wonder what the punishment is for copying your neighbours car...
Anyway. I said it before and Il say it again. If I was the dev and I had information about which people likely had downloaded something I sell for money, I would write a letter asking them to support me, just as they are currently supporting their own entertainment with the product of my labour. Provide them with a bank account and ask them to deposit 50 or so Euro. Its nice, its cool, its the future baby!

gregski said:
Pirates are not CDPR's target audience of potential customers/fanbase. No commercial company doing serious business is strategically targeting "grey areas" of the market. I don't see phone operators trying to attract people that are not paying their bills.

That analogy doesn't work - there's no piracy issue in telecommunications on such scale. Also phone companies don't have fan-base. Games, on the other hand, do - so it's much easier to hurt your image. Moreover, unless we add DRM into consideration the method off fining 'people not paying bills' is simply does not apply.

And yeah, this 200.000 number - you could have put in something even more random, it would fit anyway. Can you please give us any source for this? Almost 20% of the game sales was made by pirates? n/c

I think my figures are far more probable than 4.5 million CDP Red came up with.

Oh, and these poor people wouldn't feel so THREATENED if they, you know, were legally buying games. Only those with guilty conscience are going to feel threatened.

Ok gregski, I tell you what... You are totally RIGHT. The people I am talking about are indeed pirates thieves, but they bought the game nonetheless, so that makes them customers. At the same time they didn't cease to be pirates. Guess who are they going sympathize with. From legitimate, legal clients they are turning to none-clients, at all. A loss - no matter how you look at it.

Browse other forums; talk to other people. You will see what I am talking about. You will recognize that the outrage reaches far beyoned what you expect. In a business you simply can't afford to antagonize you audience. You say they are not the target audience. I know they are - because I know people.

Sorry gregski, but after the 'manipulative and twisted logic' part, and 'You just want to prove you point' bit (Yeah, so did you, apparently) - I have that image of noble knight from the Order of Flaming Rose who just has has this ideal in his mind, but can't see that it's not how things work with other people. I know that impression in inadequate, but I can't help it.

The saddest part is, we are fighting on the same side. I am not supporting piracy or making up excuses. But the fact remains - what 227 and others are trying to explain to you is that whether you like it or not, the whole fine business does create bad PR. It doesn't affect you, because you are good person with high moral standards. It does affect others because:

1) Pirates can be turned into paying customers. Not all of them, perhaps not even 50% of them but they can. So this bad PR will influence this subset, however large it may be.
And after reading some of the old interviews with Gop I must say that the whole 'goodies in the box' solution was directed at people who think one box case with just a DVD is not worth $50, no matter how you look at it.

2) The methods the lawfirms are using, albeit legal, are not exactly honest - as I explained earlier. Even for me, a person who does not pirate games, affiliating with such people is morally questionable... it just leaves a bad taste. Especially when you hear about the fine which I find to be excessive for a product of no utility value. One also has to question whether something like controlled provocation and espionage on the net, by third party (i.e. not by unaffiliated with any party police officers from information technology units or organisation delegated for this purpose by the state) are morally justified. If you can do that in case of pirates, could you provoke and spy on all internet users, to test how honest they are? If so, wouldn't it resemble totalitarian state within a state?

I hope that this time around you won't see and 'twisted and manipulative logic' here. I am always interested in discussion, but I would rather avoid insinuations about ulterior motives and bias. Let's treat each other with respect, we both deserve.

Dragging the pirates to court is a double-edged sword. CDP Red has the right to be paid for the product they've created, but it can rub the gaming community the wrong way.

But as a paying customer, I have a hard time sympathizing with the pirates who are just too lazy to pay for a game.

I've played pirated Withcer 2 first, just to buy a legal copy after being overawed by awesomeness of this game.

So piracy is not all that bad for CDPR I guess. They got mine 50 euros cos of it, and many more probably.

With SOPA, growing idiocity of copyright industries and all the crackdowns this is not the smartest of move by them methinks.

Panlauf said:
Piracy discussion is for gamers like politics and religion to general people.

Gods, so true!

Panlauf said:

Whether or not there's sufficient cause for all the anger is irrelevant because the anger clearly exists either way, and that's something that's dangerous to CDPR's image. It's a PR nightmare (...)

I'm just going to quote this for truth, and wonder if nobody in CDPR saw this coming. Or maybe they did, but thought it was worth the risk.

Eh. Playing TW2 is more fun than speculating on this.

secondchildren said:
Nope, not at all. We have no rules about advocating religion and politics. We have for piracy. Stay on the rules and all will be just fine.

Excuse me? What brought that on?

I don't think I've written one single post on these board advocating piracy. But maybe I'm wrong.

One technicality. CDPR isn't responsible for this - that's the dev team. CDP is - that's the parent company.

...wait a minute, we can talk about religion and politics on this site?

Songlian said:
Excuse me? What brought that on?

I don't think I've written one single post on these board advocating piracy. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think she was just expanding on your point I see no pointing fingers .

dmcaldw said:
I think she was just expanding on your point I see no pointing fingers .

I wanted to say that this could be very well true, but when someone's quoting me, I tend to think they are replying to me. Ya know.

Anyway. We're derailing the thread this way. And getting it locked up. (For shame.)

Chill down Songlian. I was pointing to any of you actually. I simply quote that few lines to underline the fact that speaking about piracy has its rules. Period.

...wait a minute, we can talk about religion and politics on this site?
The question is: can you do it without flaming each other? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom