CDPR looking for vehicle gameplay designer

+
After clicking Bobo's link delete the ...Woohoo part at the end of it, or click this in case of lazy http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/vehicle-gameplay-programmer/

I am with Sardukhar on this. I am expecting to see some cars flying around for immersion.
The most I can think of in terms of using a flying car is more like a taxi system, with predefined flight paths, to help you reach different zones. And in rare occasions, maybe there is a mission to be a board one.

Can you drive a bus though? I mean, as a passenger? To me it does sound like you're in control. I would be surprised if in CP77 they take a step back when it comes to cars (a taxi or a bus or some kind of space shuttle would be understandable). Especially when open-world games nowadays (such as GTA) not only allow you to drive a car or a motocycle but also fly around.

Last edited:
Wow. This seems to confirm they're at least trying drivable vehicles, one of the big aspects we were all wondering about.

Vehicles suggest big emphasis on open world travel. This makes me think about GTA clone sandbox games. I don't want CP2077 to be nowhere near Watch_Dogs and taking into account that 500 people (acording to some gossip) are now working on CP2077, then we have creativity killing meat grinder just like in Ubi.

I want CP2077 to be closer to Deus Ex rather than Watch_Dogs. Mankind Divided is purposefully non-open world, so the world is more dense with content and encourages a lot of sniffing.

there is a big problem with cars vs poor old roach though. cars make the world tiny because of their speed, especially if they fly. or if the world is big enough it's gonna be like gta, where a lot of it is just scenery. driving a flying car sound like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure it's a good idea..

edit: heh, similar comment within the same minute :D

Last edited:
Eh, sorry for the poor link folks, I'm still terrible with Internet. :p
Anyway, I'm not expecting huge traffic density like in GTA, but something closer to Saboteur would be fine. I'd reckon, since GTA VI is not even in the works, CDPR would be crazy not to realize this opportunity( and V sold how much...over 60 million?). Not sure if that's a positive or a negative thing, but Rockstar gets mentioned quite often in Marcin's interviews.
Just googling a few flying car images and man there are some sweet looking models there. Maybe we should open a new thread for it?

I'd reckon, since GTA VI is not even in the works, CDPR would be crazy not to realize this opportunity
I woudn't like CP2077 to be another GTA clone. By the time CP2077 will be ready we might have GTAVI. Plus Watch_Dogs series is ocuppying this space right now. Considering Ubisoft way of making games we will have Watch_Dogs 4 or 5 when CP2077 come out and people will be fed up with this kind of games if not open world games as general.

People talking about "GTA clone". Only because they want a programmer for Vehicles, that doesn't mean it will be a gta clone, same as Witcher 3 is not a Skyrim copy, because both games had horses....

I mean, CDPR wants to improve their games further and not give us "worse" games, so it`s quite clear that we might get "Roach 2.0" with our car/ship/... HOWEVER it doesn't need to be a travel possiblity for us! Maybe they just need AI cars, because Cities in 2077 without Cars/ships wouldn't be real cities, right?

"Creating the whole architecture of vehicle related code and the physics of driving / flying in those vehicles."

Yeah and didn't CP2020 having driving skills too?

It does, yes.

GTA V's system didn't do much at all. I never noticed any kind of effect beyond seeing a message that "driving skill has gone up". They dropped the ball on that, or... would've had it been an RPG they were making.

Eh, you mean tied to rpg skills/stats? That would be interesting, but most people would be hugely annoyed by it.

Some certainly would (be annoyed), but I don't see a problem with that. There is a certain kind of audience that gets annoyed at all sorts of stat/skill tie-ins - especially when they have high impact on the gameplay.

I think it can be done in a manner that provides interesting and considerate gameplay, especially if a driving feature is not a central gameplay element you can't do without.

Must be flying cars otherwise not buyin,even nomad souls had (low) flying cars but airships will do.

Last edited:
It's possible they are trying to create a GTA style open world, but one with navigable interiors and deus ex style gameplay. The best of both worlds. How they would do this though is beyond me. No game ever has.

People talking about "GTA clone". Only because they want a programmer for Vehicles, that doesn't mean it will be a gta clone, same as Witcher 3 is not a Skyrim copy, because both games had horses....
It does not, but open world with vehicles tends to end up in simmiliar space structure to GTA series which give simmiliar feel. Watch_Dogs is not GTA clone, but it kinda is. Saints Row 3 is not GTA clone, but it kinda is. Sleeping Dogs is not GTA clone, but it kinda is. What makes them kinda GTA clones is the city. Verticality, flying cars and setting far from being modern make it feel different anyway, but issue of low desity of meaningfull narrative content per square kilometer will be very low. Personally i would opt for Deus Ex level of narrative content density rather than GTA level of density and fact that we will have open world which most likely will need cars for efficient traveling (unless vechiles will be used only for missions outside the open hub space) will have low narrative content density. Roach is significantly slower than a car on flat road, so world could be smaller. TW3 didn't had big issues with narrative content density (still they were there), but had huge issue with quality of them. Those problems might be worse in CP2077. Hiring more people is easy, hiring more veteran storytelling nijas is hard AF.

I mean, CDPR wants to improve their games further and not give us "worse" games, so it`s quite clear that we might get "Roach 2.0" with our car/ship/...
The thing is that i might like a "worse" game more. More features doesn't mean better game. As saying goes - "The perfection is not when you can't add anything more, but when you can't take anything out". Game is made of connected systems. Adding one can negatively influence others. Unless it is completely separate system, but then it is just filler feature.

HOWEVER it doesn't need to be a travel possiblity for us! Maybe they just need AI cars, because Cities in 2077 without Cars/ships wouldn't be real cities, right?

"Creating the whole architecture of vehicle related code and the physics of driving / flying in those vehicles."
If it was for AI, then they would look for AI programmers, not for vehicle driving physics programmers. Vehicle AI tends to ignore some physics rules even in some racing games, not mentioning the situation where they are just background.

As i said before. It might be just for missions and quests outside of main hubs, but possibility of that being the case is rather small considering that game will be open world, not hub based.

Top Bottom