character beginnings

+
What, you want your romance option to call you a "Suit"? (Oh Suit, i love you.) Or one of your friends call you "Killer, where are you?" Do you consider that as unique?

She can call me baby, honey, my love, meatman fucksicle, whatever... it can be personalized without it actually being personal.

We should at least have a nickname (or a codename) that they can call us with. In character creation, they can give us a few nickname options and we could pick one there.

No thanks.... really... they can call us lots of things that don't have to try and impose a name or identity on me...

I agonize over my character's names... both their actual names and their nicknames... because I want them to be cool... I don't want that taken away from me.

I understand where you are coming from, but to me, that would really kind of defeat the purpose of giving your character their own personality.

She can call me baby, honey, my love, meatman fucksicle, whatever... it can be personalized without it actually being personal.

No thanks.... really... they can call us lots of things that don't have to try and impose a name or identity on me...

I agonize over my character's names... both their actual names and their nicknames... because I want them to be cool... I don't want that taken away from me.

I understand where you are coming from, but to me, that would really kind of defeat the purpose of giving your character their own personality.

Lets say she lost us, she screams "Hey my love, where are you my love? Have you seen my love?" They ask her, "Who is your love?" She says "He is my love" They get angry, "WHO THE FUCK IS YOUR LOVE!" She says "Err.. He is Meatman Fucksicle." :D

Whatever name you gave to your character, it is meaningless. No one will call you that. No one will really know what your name is. Above your character will show that name, but people will refer to you as something else. You just rather be called asshole than have a real last name or a nickname.. I don't get you sometimes.

Lets say she lost us, she screams "Hey my love, where are you my love? Have you seen my love?" They ask her, "Who is your love?" She says "He is my love" They get angry, "WHO THE FUCK IS YOUR LOVE!" She says "Err.. He is Meatman Fucksicle." :D

Um..... if we aren;t there, then how would we know what she is calling us anyway?

You just rather be called asshole than have a real last name or a nickname.. I don't get you sometimes.

Absolutely.... but if you really want, we can all call you T-Bone from now on.... or would you prefer Herkimer.... or maybe Byte Boi.... or we can go with the most prevalent theme and call you Warsend Brownhand....(Blackhand was already taken, he is on some other mission with some other crew)

I have seen the names they make up for cyberpunk characters.... no bloody thank you

What, you want your romance option to call you a "Suit"? (Oh Suit, i love you.) Or one of your friends call you "Killer, where are you?" Do you consider that as unique?
I would prefer 'Boo-Boo-Kitty-Fuck', but I will access Sweetheart, Sugar or babe.

I gave those examples because i prefer to have a surname than a nickname. But a nickname would work as well. Like in the movie Matrix, you can have the nickname Morpheus, Neo, Trinity, Niobe. You can also have Hades, Oracle, Prophet and Osiris... Hell you can call yourself Ra for all i care. It is important what your close friends call you in game.

Whatever name you gave to your character, it is meaningless. No one will call you that. No one will really know what your name is. Above your character will show that name, but people will refer to you as something else. You just rather be called asshole than have a real last name or a nickname.. I don't get you sometimes.
It's all circumstancial. If I just killed the guys family and friend in a very uncivilised manner, I would not expect to be on first name terms with the guy. I would take 'Asshole' as him being polite.

How about a compromise. We can choose from say 30 Nicknames, (including surnames and even first names,) and if we don't like any, we can choose our own and have a generic run through in the vocal communication.

Does that work?

I agree pretty much agree with Wisdom's post. But where is the Rockerboy? Living in a Silverhand studio? I know there are a lot of people that don"t care for the rockerboy role but maybe that is because it is misunderstood. There was a great article in the Rockerboy supplement for 2013 called "Hitler was a Rockerboy". I don't want to set off any censors about hate speech here, the article could just have as easily been called "Che Guevara was a rockerboy" or "Ronald Regan was a rockerboy". The Rocker is just a cult of personality, someone who influences the masses through some form of mass media, like Twitter.

This role has been much misunderstood and maligned in my opinion. they have the potential to be a very engaging character, not to mention a very powerful one. Just think: at a whim you can make it like the Lakers just won, wherever you want!

I would prefer 'Boo-Boo-Kitty-Fuck', but I will access Sweetheart, Sugar or babe.

It's all circumstancial. If I just killed the guys family and friend in a very uncivilised manner, I would not expect to be on first name terms with the guy. I would take 'Asshole' as him being polite.

How about a compromise. We can choose from say 30 Nicknames, (including surnames and even first names,) and if we don't like any, we can choose our own and have a generic run through in the vocal communication.

Does that work?

That would work for me, sure. But sadly it wouldn't work for the developers. They would have to record all those 30 nicknames, surnames and insert it to the game.

Lets say it's a cut-scene and a guy is looking for you at the bar he asks to the bartender:

Hey, did you see Osiris today?
Hey, did you see Smith today?
Hey, did you see Xander today?
Hey, did you see Oracle today?
Hey, did you see Hades today?

You see, they would have to record same like over and over again, i would love it if they did something like that, but i don't think they will.
I mean, you liked Mass Effect right? Do you honestly think it would be better if Shepard didn't had a name and they called him Commander Whatshis/hername?

This is a tough one. While being assigned a surname doesn't really bother me I would much rather be referred to in an arbitrary manner.

You could have:
Formal- Mr. Ms. Sir, Ma'am
Friendly- Hot Shot, Friend, Pal
Neutral- Sport, Bud, Champ
Hostile- Dick, Asshole, Creep

In the case of romances you've got Honey, Baby, Love, Sexy, Beautiful, Lovely.

The only difficulty I see is in a familiar formal setting. Assume you're a corporate having some kind of dinner meeting with another corporate let's say a quest giver.
In such a scenario the character is too familiar with NPC to be referred to as Sir, Mr/Ms. would be acceptable so long as a surname follows as it's omission implies the character is the dominant one in the relationship which (s)he won't be, at least early in the game.

But the relationship is too professional to be referred to as Bud or Champ, unless in every single formal/familiar scenario every NPC is condescending and patronizing.

The only thing I can think of is that the NPCs in this scenario would opt to assign a code name or alias to the character, perhaps to protect you? Or perhaps for some reason your character always wants to be anonymous?

I agree pretty much agree with Wisdom's post. But where is the Rockerboy? Living in a Silverhand studio? I know there are a lot of people that don"t care for the rockerboy role but maybe that is because it is misunderstood. There was a great article in the Rockerboy supplement for 2013 called "Hitler was a Rockerboy". I don't want to set off any censors about hate speech here, the article could just have as easily been called "Che Guevara was a rockerboy" or "Ronald Regan was a rockerboy". The Rocker is just a cult of personality, someone who influences the masses through some form of mass media, like Twitter.

This role has been much misunderstood and maligned in my opinion. they have the potential to be a very engaging character, not to mention a very powerful one. Just think: at a whim you can make it like the Lakers just won, wherever you want!
I think the overall term you are looking for is 'Orator'.

That would work for me, sure. But sadly it wouldn't work for the developers. They would have to record all those 30 nicknames, surnames and insert it to the game.

Lets say it's a cut-scene and a guy is looking for you at the bar he asks to the bartender:

Hey, did you see Osiris today?
Hey, did you see Smith today?
Hey, did you see Xander today?
Hey, did you see Oracle today?
Hey, did you see Hades today?

You see, they would have to record same like over and over again, i would love it if they did something like that, but i don't think they will.
I mean, you liked Mass Effect right? Do you honestly think it would be better if Shepard didn't had a name and they called him Commander Whatshis/hername?
I think the problem here is context. In Halo, you play Master Chief. In Mass Effect you play Shepard. You take on their personality and mould it to your own. I enjoyed ME, but I never really felt a connection with Shepard. I always felt like I was watching ting s happen to them, not to 'me' as it were. In 2077, you are your own person with a unique identity. For all intents and purposes, it is an extention of you. I don't think it's a fair comparisson.

And I don't think it would require entire sentences to be recorded for each name, just the name in a few tones for each voice should cover it.

But again, if I had to choose between an impersonal signifier and a predefined name, (and I have taken what you have said onboard,) I would still go with random signifier.

I think the overall term you are looking for is 'Orator'.

I think the problem here is context. In Halo, you play Master Chief. In Mass Effect you play Shepard. You take on their personality and mould it to your own. I enjoyed ME, but I never really felt a connection with Shepard. I always felt like I was watching ting s happen to them, not to 'me' as it were. In 2077, you are your own person with a unique identity. For all intents and purposes, it is an extention of you. I don't think it's a fair comparisson.

And I don't think it would require entire sentences to be recorded for each name, just the name in a few tones for each voice should cover it.

But again, if I had to choose between an impersonal signifier and a predefined name, (and I have taken what you have said onboard,) I would still go with random signifier.

Sadly that wouldn't work that well. Recordings would be emotionless. It would ruin the whole scene. (Imagine there is a fight scene, your friend screams "Shit! I'm wounded. ASSDOCTOR77 help me!") :D

That could work similar to the "playa" or "boss" in SR Wisdom000 talks about. It's even easier. We haven't even reached a consensus on how relationships should work in CP2077, if we can date any NPC or there are a set of available options.But I think our mate can refer to us with loving names that can be very generic (love, honey, sweetie, sweetheart... puddin') or maybe something that is very like that character, and I mean OUR MATE, maybe she likes calling us encouraging names like tiger or champion... maybe some day she/he will call us by the name of an ex... awkward...

Yeah.... still on the "let us decide our own names, no surnames, no given nicknames... they can just refer to us informally, or call us Sir or Ma'am in formal situations... or be sarcastic and refer to us as Mister Solo, or Mister Netrunner, whatever...

Top Bottom