Character Customization!

+
Although it's not explicitly expressed in the PnP, I've always thought of ATTR as being a combination of raw, physical appearance, and one's personality / how they carry themselves.

I mean, if Dwayne, the socially awkward guy working in the mailroom gets a bodysculpt to look like Charlie Sheen, he's still gonna be Dwayne, socially awkward mailroom guy; he just now happens to look like Charlie Sheen.

Although it's not explicitly expressed in the PnP, I've always thought of ATTR as being a combination of raw, physical appearance, and one's personality / how they carry themselves.

I mean, if Dwayne, the socially awkward guy working in the mailroom gets a bodysculpt to look like Charlie Sheen, he's still gonna be Dwayne, socially awkward mailroom guy; he just now happens to look like Charlie Sheen.

Well, it's kind of expressed the opposite in the PNP, with ATTR singularly being a measure of physical attractiveness...

While personality and social wherewithal is more a product of COOL and EMP...

Ah; right right. Apparently, it's been a while since I've cracked open the books. =p

Hm. For a character creator: are we being given a set allotment for Stat points? So, the more attractive / stronger / quicker / etc. we make our character in one area, we take away from said pool of Stat points at character creation?

Ah; right right. Apparently, it's been a while since I've cracked open the books. =p

Hm. For a character creator: are we being given a set allotment for Stat points? So, the more attractive / stronger / quicker / etc. we make our character in one area, we take away from said pool of Stat points at character creation?

That would beat random generators I guess, and make much more sense in a video game environment, but your guess is as good as mine pal.

ATTR being implemented will depend on the depth of the social game, the skills attached to it and the gear available to add to it.

I know we spend a fair amount of time guessing at CDPR's mythical 2077 budget, but I think ATTR and related skills would be first on the chop block as unnecessary. A social game stemming from Empathy would make more sense and tie in better to the themes of CP2020.

I think you mean interactions with NPCs and the game world by "social game", though correct me if I am wrong. Honestly, I expect CP77 to have well-developed social game aspects for players who want to take the shadow, puppet master route (see here for explanation).

ATTR being implemented will depend on the depth of the social game, the skills attached to it and the gear available to add to it.

I know we spend a fair amount of time guessing at CDPR's mythical 2077 budget, but I think ATTR and related skills would be first on the chop block as unnecessary. A social game stemming from Empathy would make more sense and tie in better to the themes of CP2020.

Agreed.... especially in a game where you will be free to design the look of your character... ATTR makes little sense as a seperate stat especially since there are no skills that relate to it.

By that same token though, MA could be done away with. As in a video game context, I imagine everyone will walk and run the same speed, jsut for ease of coding... with the only variation given by cyber.

Luck could be dropped as well.... as I really have no idea how it would be implemented with the rest of the game in any way that doesn't seem wonky.

However... we do know that you are supposed to be able to print out a character sheet and play it with the PNP... so I wonder how they are going to approach this...

Agreed.... especially in a game where you will be free to design the look of your character... ATTR makes little sense as a seperate stat especially since there are no skills that relate to it.

By that same token though, MA could be done away with. As in a video game context, I imagine everyone will walk and run the same speed, jsut for ease of coding... with the only variation given by cyber.

Luck could be dropped as well.... as I really have no idea how it would be implemented with the rest of the game in any way that doesn't seem wonky.

However... we do know that you are supposed to be able to print out a character sheet and play it with the PNP... so I wonder how they are going to approach this...
Personal Groomsing + Wardrobe and Style are both ATTR skills. CDPR could aslo add more ATTR skills if they choose to.

Altering movement speeds with an MA stat shouldn't take much coding. There are plenty of games where there are console codes available to alter your speed and those of NPC's.

Luck could still have a huge part to play in the game. Anything from random events to critical hits could be affected.

Really, stats could work differently in 2077 compared to 2020. CDPR already stated that a lot of the mechanics in PnP just don't transfer well to the graphical format. They could cut out a lot iof stuff, or they could just invent a new system all together.

All that being said, you have basically called out all 3 of the Dump-Stats for all of my characters.

You..dump LUCK? Are you nuts? Over TECH?

MA will go, too, I think. Although...it is cool to run faster. But they will probably just make that a cyberleg option.

I think they will..probably chop the PnP to video game conversion. Or, if they don't, provide a sheet or translation matrix for their game stats to PnP stats. Hope I'm wrong, though. Maybe each face you pick will have an ATTR rating that goes with it and incremental values as you adjust? Doubt it though.

I don't think MA should be out of CP2077 in any case. If combat is turn based (which seems it isn't going to be? or it hasn't been discarded yet?) yeah, you can make everyone move at roughly the same speed when there's no danger, but in combat it would make a difference. If it's all more actiony, always realtime gameplay... still why wouldn't there be different running speeds and stamina? Remember how many variables altered our movement in GTA:SA? It was all a combination of your stamina, fat and muscle. A fat CJ with all the stamina wouldn't be as fast as a skinny CJ, and the skinny wouldn't still be as fast as the muscular (if I remember well). Also it was harder to pull your fat body over a fence than your skinny one... and let's not forget that fat and muscle didn't exclude each other, but combined: if you were fat but muscular, at least you had that last thing going to pull your body over the fence or climb.

If any part of the game is turn based, I am going to be really disappointed. It isn't 1990 any more, we can move past that out-dated mechanic.

MA could work perfectly well in 2077, because it wouldn't have to work the same way as it does in PnP. Why not use it for 'stamina' or 'sprinting speed'? Quite a few of us want to see some form of Parkour or Free-Running in the game and MA would be the perfect stat to tie it to.

We need to stop seeing black and white with regards to how the PnP rules can be integrated into a video game format and start seeing more grey.

If any part of the game is turn based, I am going to be really disappointed. It isn't 1990 any more, we can move past that out-dated mechanic.

Amen to that.

MA could work perfectly well in 2077, because it wouldn't have to work the same way as it does in PnP. Why not use it for 'stamina' or 'sprinting speed'? Quite a few of us want to see some form of Parkour or Free-Running in the game and MA would be the perfect stat to tie it to.

We need to stop seeing black and white with regards to how the PnP rules can be integrated into a video game format and start seeing more grey.

That is a quite elegant way of handling MA.... quite elegant indeed.

I can't begin to tell you how much i agree with you. I don't know which one i hate the most, turn-based combat or the isometric view.. I HATE indie gamers. (I mean the people who try to force indie gaming styles to modern games..) Freaking hipsters.

Definitely isometric view. My hate for isometric is great indeed.

Indeed.

It would be cool if you could turn your kinect/webcam into a mini mocap and map a 3D model of your real face to put on the Player character.
This smart phone app can do it so consoles and PCs should be able to too.

And as far as traditional creation goes my favorite implementation so far has been Dragons Dogma. Working with preselected noses, brows and faces was SOOO much better than any slider mechanic. It's the only game I've ever been able to make a character that I felt looked like me, heck probably the only game were I even tried to do this. With a slider mechanic to adjust sizes and heights only an artist could make people they knew, average players use sliders to fix the ugly and pray you don't make it worse, then troop on with "generic-best-I-could-do-player-1.0"

Smartphone integration is coming, I think. GTA 5 pushes it mildly hard.

Be reaaaaallly interesting to see a firly accurate rendition of people in games. There is probably serious money to be made here somewhere...

Don't push smartphone/tablet integration into this game, please. Why doesn't people have the same or even a bigger problem that they have with Disc Locked Content? DLC can cost up to $/€15 for something that is already there. How expensive would it be if you bought the game full price and you hadn't already got a smartphone/tablet because you don't see the need (beyond a minigame that would give you an advantage on a game which already is on a system that is already expensive, sigh...). Not everyone has these gadgets or the need for them, or the need to upgrade to the +0.1 version eight times the same year. I'm pretty pissed off that they had to push it in GTAV, don't know how big a deal it is (I understand that your dog is pretty much useless without it...) and I don't know how much it will unbalance Watch Dogs. Let this fad die, please. No, make it die. A painful death.

DIsk Locked Content is stupid. The option to add your real face in game is not. XB1 comes with kinect, PS has its eye thing, most laptops have cameras (especially the ones new enough to play games) webcams for desktops are cheap, and most people have smartphones. And if you don't you probably will in 2 years, I'm like you, I prefer dumb phones but they are harder and harder to find. Those who don't have a camera or want to be hotter than their real selves would most likely have a standard creation menu. Which is exactly what you'd get anyway if this cool option was vetoed for the reasons you list. I agree that having content you can't use is lame, but I've experienced it since windwaker. As long as it's not a complete money grab I support dev's looking into using technology to enable things that haven't been possible before. I don't complain that mass effect has kinect support, or that halo has local multiplayer for more people than I have controllers, and I won't complain when Oculus Rift becomes standard in gaming. I'll upgrade when I can or skip it altogether and enjoy what I have, while smiling that technology allows so many cool possibilities, because that is always free.

DIsk Locked Content is stupid. The option to add your real face in game is not. XB1 comes with kinect, PS has its eye thing, most laptops have cameras (especially the ones new enough to play games) webcams for desktops are cheap, and most people have smartphones. And if you don't you probably will in 2 years, I'm like you, I prefer dumb phones but they are harder and harder to find.

Well, I do have a smartphone... and still find it pretty dumb. But the real reason why I got it was because my old blackberry crashed constantly pushing me to, check this out, remove the battery, put it back in, and wait extra time than compared to rebooting the phone normally and it was the ONLY way to get it working back and It happened all the time, sometimes forcing me to do this process on the fly.

Those who don't have a camera or want to be hotter than their real selves would most likely have a standard creation menu.

Or uglier, with scars and shit. Oh, and then there's that kind of players that would only play and aberration.

Which is exactly what you'd get anyway if this cool option was vetoed for the reasons you list. I agree that having content you can't use is lame, but I've experienced it since windwaker.

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten about the GBA link cable thing! It was even worse with things like Four Swords Adventures (I never had a GC, and never got to play this one), which makes one wonder why wouldn't Nintendo allow for multiple Wii-U pads on the same console to play things like that now. I suppose it will at least emulate the connected GBA in the Wind Waker HD port.

Hm. I'm not against the idea of some kind of smartphone integration / periphery minigames outside of the core game, as long as they're optional, and don't impact core gameplay.

Looking at the GTA 5 apps, they're neat, but unnecessary to finish the game, so I'm fine with their existence.

Top Bottom