Character Romance Discussion

+
You two realise that Cyberpunk 2020 is Dungeons and Dragons with Guns, right? WIzard class, fighter class, dungeons in the sky, bars where fights start, bikes instead of horses...you get that, right?

You two realise that Cyberpunk 2020 is Dungeons and Dragons with Guns, right? WIzard class, fighter class, dungeons in the sky, bars where fights start, bikes instead of horses...you get that, right?

...does it use a d20 a lot too?

Sorry i am way to impatient to ever play PnP for more than a couple of rounds before i get bored of the other players fucking about (even if it's not really fucking about)

I think relationships are a great thing to focus on in the story or quest lines, but I don't really care for it as much as a player outside of making friends/enemies and cultivating relationships as resources to call on later on with some meaningful character interactions. I mean, romance can be fine, but I'd prefer it where it's a relationship that actually builds itself up over time rather than 'do me a favor and I'll sleep with you'. Think less Witcher 1/2's 'romance' options and more Witcher 1/2's alliance options and the optional quests where you just hang out and have a drink with friends. Those were really bright and endearing character moments in a series that is otherwise rather dark in tone what with all the hate and double-crossing and racism, and such instances in Cyberpunk 2077 would also offset its dark side fairly well, too, though it might also be interesting to interrupt one of these friendly get-togethers with something dramatic that drives the point home that even when you feel safe in this environment, you REALLY aren't.

I think relationships are a great thing to focus on in the story or quest lines, but I don't really care for it as much as a player outside of making friends/enemies and cultivating relationships as resources to call on later on with some meaningful character interactions. I mean, romance can be fine, but I'd prefer it where it's a relationship that actually builds itself up over time rather than 'do me a favor and I'll sleep with you'. Think less Witcher 1/2's 'romance' options and more Witcher 1/2's alliance options and the optional quests where you just hang out and have a drink with friends. Those were really bright and endearing character moments in a series that is otherwise rather dark in tone what with all the hate and double-crossing and racism, and such instances in Cyberpunk 2077 would also offset its dark side fairly well, too, though it might also be interesting to interrupt one of these friendly get-togethers with something dramatic that drives the point home that even when you feel safe in this environment, you REALLY aren't.

In fact I also commented on joining both factions and relationships in a way. I'm more inclined for preset characters we can romance, which are somewhat important to the plot or the sideplots, than randomized NPCs. These characters could be fellow edgerunners, colleagues or be very (in game) politicized. We could learn about their struggles, what's important for them, etc. We would interact with them overtime, learn of the different struggles and pick our own fight and maybe something grows out of it. Maybe they value strength, or people with no ties, maybe they're biased against a political or socio-economic group, even if they like other things of our character. This could prevent them from hooking up with our character, even if they admit they feel something.

Romances, friendships, enemies, coworkers, family..etc. They are all important to me. I like relationships in games, where you build connections that affect the character development and affect the NPC's as well. correction, I like relationships I can actually interact with and not have some on rails event. I really do not like the new "cinematic" BS which are not relationships, they are just movie moments you cannot control or really interact with, even the witcher games fall into this trap with its limited dialog choices and a, b, c choices. I like the old games where you could get different responses from NPC's that affected their personality and connection with you later on. I want it to be like life, where if you ignore someone, they will most likely have no connection to you, if you interact and depending on how you treat them, they could be a friend, romantic love interest, a momentary fling, enemy, or other. Of course this would mean making characters more than 2d personalities.

You know, one of the most interesting NPC's in a more "modern" (I use the term losely) game was vampire the masquerade bloodlines. You had some very interesting NPC's and how you could relate to them.

Yep, enemies you love to hate and allies you hate to love because you're afraid what may happen to them. And the occasional NPC you develop a fondness/dislike for. Romance, if it's not an excuse for a "quickie", or added to a game half-arsed for the sake a sex scene (blanked out or not), is just another opportunity to get to know/like/dislike people (or whatevers) in a game. Far to many supposedly role-playing games have extremely shallow, forgettable NPCs and companions you just don't give a damn about.

there should be a big red light district in Night City for everyone who isnt interested in romance

I'd agree there should be.
Of course there should also be a variety of bars, yuppie, biker, leather, gay ...

i said it before i will say it again there should be a side mission where you rescue an underaged prostitute.

Why there should be a side mission where you rescue an underaged prostitute?

As long as it's dramatic, treated with respect and meant to provoke thought and NOT to sexualize minors... I also don't want it to be like one of these things where it sounds like the story justifies anything that happens or is imposed on this person under some kind of sick "logic", like "she/he has lost her/his innocence".

Well, I see two explanations.

1) He wants to have a romance with option an underaged prostitute (and it'd fit the thread).

2) He says random things when someone says a keyword (like "prostitute").

I can't tell which one is true, but neither is a reason enough that " there should be a side mission where you rescue an underaged prostitute". Hence my question. He's saying something that has no basis other than thinking his opinion is enough, and basing everything on opinion alone is doubtful way to justify using phrases like "must" or "should" (which he uses almost all the time).

agreeing with Safe-r here, I'm really not seeing how that comment is in any way related to this thread.

Top Bottom