Combat Thread - General

+
So Cyberpunk 2077 with only third person view would be Third Person Shooter? This is OP logic which absolutely doesnt make any sense. From what i read from previews Cyberpunk 2077 already has more RPG mechanics, roleplay and freedom than Witcher series.

I'm for TPP too and I know we are in the minority, but I can be, at the very least, okay with a choice to be in third person mode when V is in his/her apartment, walking around streets, you know, casual stuff. Seeing the YongYea's first impression video I am somewhat convinced that this game will be a great RPG he's my favorite Game journalist out there, problem is I have the so called "motion sickness" I really do, it's real. An option to take a break with 3rd person is what I really need to pacing the game. If CPR can provide some thing like that, That'd be really really nice.

Have you tried tinkering with FOV (Field of view) option? i hear it solves the problem for a lot of people

Then most people don't know what the f... they're talking about.. First person perpective =/= First person shooter... a SHOOTER is a gameplay style... Cyberpunk's gameplay style is RPG (Role Playing Game)
And yes it's bad.. because it's wrong and misleading.
That may be but thats how them beans are baked

I admit that when it was confirmed I was somewhat bummed out ,but after giving myself a calm down slap my memories of Vampire Bloodlines started to surface and I came to my senses.

I was madly in love with Vampire The Masquerade back then, and when I found out that the sequel was going to be an FP(s) I was absolutely enraged and offended :) I was sure that the franchise was ruined.
Then It came out and when I sucked in (pun intended) the atmosphere of the dark wet gloomy streets of Santa Monica and experienced those incredible dialogues for the first time through the eyes of my character, I was 100% transformed.
I was no longer controlling puppets from a distance, I was actually a vampire.
It ended up being one of my favorite rpgs of all time.

Of course it would be awesome to see my character planted in this universe (CP), to see him\her react to the environment but now I'm just as exited to experience this world up close an personal.

Love that game.. maybe it will finally get the sequel it deserves in the near future since games Like Vampyr and Warewolf the Apocalypse (which is based on the same World of Darkness universe) started appearing.

P.S. i know it's offtopic but i could't help showing that game some love. Peace

The people who saw the gameplay demo describe it as an FPS.

Forced FPP certainly establishes that perception, and technically an FPS is just a game with FPP where you spend most of the time shooting so that seems to apply. That and things like retaining only the three most generic and combat-oriented classes do make it seem like the game has moved away from being an RPG and towards being an FPS with RPG elements.

I have no idea how stats can affect shooting in FPS twitch combat, unless your stats make the bullets more magic so regardless of how you line up your shot you are more likely to hit.

There's plenty of ways.

The gun skills and stats might affect the following:
- Recoil might throw the aim off so you have to correct it after each shot, the skill could mitigate that.
- Natural spread (cone of fire) for weapons getting smaller per higher skill (different guns have different values, so it's not a global metric).
- Reticle size could be dynamic (even if it was invisble to the player) so that the spread increases momentarily after every sho cumulatively up to a certain point after which it returns to the current normal. And it gets easier based on the mentioned "natural spread".
- There could be a focus gauge within the reticle that centers the shot the longer you wait, the higher the skill, the more accurate it gets.
- Smart guns are toggled to your head, so they might use your ability as a raw measure of accuracy (with other factors also taken into account like range, visibility, lighting, movement).

So based on that, if you have low skill - if that's how your character is - you can certainly shoot and kill enemies, but you are a terrible shot. While once you get your skills maxed, combat - aside from smart guns - plays like a first person shooter. More over, the amount of impact the skills have could be designed such, that they can be adjusted via options/difficulty menu so you could basically tailor your experience (i.e. Combat settings Easy (minimal skill effect) - Normal (as intended) - RPG (high skill impact)). And of course the NPC's should operate through the same rules as the player character as far as stats go.

If the game is designed to follow the 2020 footsteps, you can already build a very competent gunslinger from the get go (at the cost of other skills). And if the game is indeed "not-shooter, not-FPS, first person is just a narrative tool" as claimed by Vattier up there and the plethora of other CDPR devs at E3, it shouldn't matter at all if the player is indeed a terrible shot at any point of the game.

The E3 demo was said to have a "level 1 V", but the gameplay could have been rigged for demonstration purposes. But I would appreciate a clear explanation on how exactly the game is "not-FPS" besides there being a lot of other content than combat, since it gets repeated so much. Combat is a feature too, and if the game turns into FPS when combat starts -- and I believe it will be a major feature in the big picture -- I don't fully see the point with the "not-this or that" claim since the gameplay is there.

Last edited:
The people who saw the gameplay demo describe it as an FPS.

I doubt most gaming journalists have ever played an actual RPG, they are most likely limited TES and Mass Effect.

and technically an FPS is just a game with FPP where you spend most of the time shooting so that seems to apply.

No, an FPS is a Shooter by definition. It's a game where you walk through levels by shooting guns. This seems to not be the case.

That and things like retaining only the three most generic and combat-oriented classes do make it seem like the game has moved away from being an RPG and towards being an FPS with RPG elements.

Or it's an RPG with FPS elements, which seems to be the case.

I doubt most gaming journalists have ever played an actual RPG, they are most likely limited TES and Mass Effect.

No, an FPS is a Shooter by definition. It's a game where you walk through levels by shooting guns. This seems to not be the case.

Or it's an RPG with FPS elements, which seems to be the case.
Exactly. They clearly stated many times that it is an RPG that uses First Person Perspective and every single previewer said that without revealing too much this is the only possible perspective for this game and it is a true Rpg and not a shooter. (P.S. for anyone still a bit doubtful just go watch Yong's video and impressions. He was sceptical about the perspective, but after the demo he said that he was blown away.)

Why not just call it an FPRGP (or FP-RPG), because that's what it is.
I know it's very easy to glue that "S" after "FP", because that is an automatism, but it's First Person first and only.
Yeah - The "S" association is there, but maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will establish that FPRPG (or FP-RPG or FP/RPG) mark strong enough to make it stand on it's own.

Cyberpunk is not a FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either.

Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. First person perspective is a tool we decided to use for narrative reasons.

it is also a tool with which you can lose a good part of your fan community,... it is a multipurpose tool! ;)

it is also a tool with which you can lose a good part of your fan community,... it is a multipurpose tool! ;)

Why tho? Being fan of a software house makes no sense to begin with. And there's no Cyberpunk 2077 fanbase except for the fans of Cyberpunk 2020.

CDPR never stayed true to one single formula.

The Witcher 1 was RPG with different "levels", some of them you could have access at the same time regardless of the chapter and with a comat system based on rythm, with a camera that could've been either isometric or third person.

The Witcher 2 was a linear RPG with hubs, each chapter in the story represented by a level, and a bridge quest at the end of each chapter that ended that level and teleported the player to the next one. It had consequences on the enviroment of those levels and a branching 2nd chapter. The combat system was action but still based on some of the principles of The Witcher 1 and the camera was only in third person.

The Witcher 3 was an RPG multi open world with some extra areas accessible only during specific parts of the game, but it lacked the branching path of The Witcher 2, which was reproposed in Blood and Wine DLC. The combat was refined from The Witcher 2 and it was third person.

Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be an open world RPG like TW3, but mostly in first person with guns, with better and more open quest designed than TW3 and a level design inspired by immersive sims.

No CDPR game has always been the same formula. They also made a damn card game.

Cyberpunk is not a FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either.

Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. First person perspective is a tool we decided to use for narrative reasons.

Stick with your creative choices. None of us here have seen anything about the game, we are all talking about air.

Have you tried tinkering with FOV (Field of view) option? i hear it solves the problem for a lot of people
It might indeed, but most of the FPP game I play doesn't have that option, although I admit I haven't touch an FPS game for a long long time due to Mo-sick, I think I'll start with Cyberpunk 2077 and see how I'll do (can someone send me a demo *wink wink*) also (still want an FPP option through)

Not sure what to say, new to forums completely... But imho the first time I know of...a cyber/punk shooter failed miserably... Don't get me wrong the old school 'Shadowrun' on Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo were great. I played both for hundreds of hours... But the next time we saw a cyber-punk game like them was on the original Xbox as an Fps and it failed miserably... I miss old school rpg styled games.. I may be old but not so old to know what makes for a great game... immersion is all I hear about on many vlogs and I applaud CPR for going this route ... Rpg is missing in this new world of AAA games because mmo fps shooters are the money makers... I hope CPR sticks to their guns and holds onto this awesome genre and proves that fps cannot hold a candle to rpg.
Not trying to be pedantic here, but Microsoft's Shadowrun wasn't less of an RPG or a bad game because it was First Person, it was less of an RPG because they made no attempt to make it one, it wasn't cyberpunk because there was no world or atmosphere just random arenas built not for tone but solely facilitating quick tactical combat, it was pretty ok as a counterstrike mod but a pretty crap standalone game, and it never tried to be an RPG or cyberpunk.

RPGs can be in any perspective, and can we stop with the whole "AAA games because mmo fps shooters are the money makers", because AAA loves first AND third person, all you are doing here is implying that CDPR is "selling out" based on a flawed premise despite having proven their integrity in the past. I think this is just an implication, because it isn't something that people feel is true, but want to imply as a rhetorical tactic. Either way, it is based on a flawed assumption & is a pretty weak argument.

Is there going to be third-person cover mechanics? Never did care for the twitch strafing personally. Deus Ex HR had the right idea in my opinion.

Edited to say that I'm curious about how an RPG can have shooter mechanics without being either turn based, or like Bethesda's Fallout sequels (which I personally don't hold in very high regard).

Last edited:
Top Bottom