Companions in Cyberpunk 2077

+

Do you want (semi) permanent companions in CP77?

• Yes

Votes: 50 63.3%
  • No, I never want companions during my playthrough

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • No, only in special missions

Votes: 24 30.4%

• Total voters
So I've always LOVED companions. Any time I find a new open world rpg that I want to play, the first thing I want to find out is if you can have people follow you as companions. The next thing I usually look up is if there are pets in the game :). But getting back on track, I've never been a fan of the whole "drop to one knee" thing either. If my companion dies, then let him die.

In terms of how I would prefer companions are handled in the cyberpunk world, I would absolutely love if I could go to a thug/merc in a bar or someplace like that and be like "Hey, I'll give you 800 bucks if you follow me around and protect me". Maybe even give him/her a randomly generated name. They don't even have to have any lines aside from the occasional "Where are we going", "Nice Car", "Ah!". Of course make them killable so that they are able to die in combat, so then you'd have to go to another bar and pay another guy/girl to protect you. I would say max 2 people, any more than that and it can get a little crazy. It's something that could be totally optional, if you want to tough it out alone, no problem, just don't go up to them and give them your money. It would definitely be fun to see how long they could survive.

Yep.

The thing to keep in mind is the core concept of Cyberpunk.
"It's not about saving the world, it's about saving yourself."
So while companions are useful the game isn't about "us" it's about "you" (the character).

What kind of person are you going to be?
Cold, ruthless, efficient? More machine then human.

Does having people around you mess it all up? Or maybe even amplify the "you"/"yourself" part, when you have someone you feel bound with and you are faced with those difficult "saving yourself" choices?

Depends. The presence of those companions would have to make sense but with CDP, there's no doubt from me coming. They gotta be badass enough tho xD

Does having people around you mess it all up? Or maybe even amplify the "you"/"yourself" part, when you have someone you feel bound with and you are faced with those difficult "saving yourself" choices?
I'd say that depends entirely on the person we're discussing.
Are they a sociopath? Then no, other people don't matter.
Are they a narcissist? Then it matters a great deal.

I'm worried that Jackie behaves like a total punk. He's packing two huge golden cannons and doesn't make any use of them. He only reconfigs that scavboss, but that's scripted.doesn't count. I don't care how you resolve whole die/revive thing, just make em useful in a firefight.

For W3 I had to download mod so the sorceresses could actually zero the punks.

Best thing about Dragon Age, Fallout & Mass Effect series (all overrated franchises IMO) were the companions & the interesting (& often humorous) dialogues. Dragon Age: Inquisition was particularly good on that score, with some really hilarious acerbic exchanges between certain companions, & I replayed several times just to try out different toon combinations (in spite of the game being at best a 6/10 for me over all).

Companions can be a huge bonus for a game if they are done well (and the best Fallout companions massively benefitted from mods or were entirely mods).

Actually I hope that my companions will be able to do all the "fight" part of the game, like they did in the Mass Effect trilogy.
And if they have interesting banters like they did in Dragon Age Origins I'll be even more happy.

Companions in FO4 were great, imo. Essential, some were romanceable, and they always liked to comment on areas, which is something that keeps me immersed. Personally, I long for the days of the squad system of Mass Effect. Loved the banter and the complementing of abilities, though I wouldn't mind a follower like Inigo (Skyrim Mod).

Regarding AI, friendly AI has always been... weird, to say the least. Just look up bot failures in L4D2. It's 50/50 with those guys.

Topic about imortal companions. :)

They are very lame, even some P&P adventures got backup plans for moving toward with the plot if one of the key NPC's flatlined.

Do you think he can kill the Maelstorm boss by himself if V go and hide somewhere or they phew-phew each other till you kill the poor bastard?

What if the PC kind of psyho who want to kill Jackie, because he got bad day. Can he/she do this?

What is your opinion about them?

Kill Jackie. Link related. I hope we can.

Companions in FO4 were great, imo. Essential, some were romanceable, and they always liked to comment on areas, which is something that keeps me immersed. Personally, I long for the days of the squad system of Mass Effect. Loved the banter and the complementing of abilities, though I wouldn't mind a follower like Inigo (Skyrim Mod).

Regarding AI, friendly AI has always been... weird, to say the least. Just look up bot failures in L4D2. It's 50/50 with those guys.

That Inigo mod is godly. So much personality in a character, makes the game even better than it is.

Companions have to be highly intuitive. And a hand like cp2077 it would be damn disruptive if the ai is shonky to slightest degree.
Though I like giving them orders I cant be telling them to do every single thing.

For example take down npc's in stealth mode. Do I have to give the order to kill everytime when the coast is clear? Ai needs to know when timing is right to do certain things. If I asked it to pull the lever and there's a laser mine in the way would he stoopidly walked into the mine and pull the lever? Or will he walked through it somehow not trigger it for sake of simplicity. Thatll totally break immersion.

Will he Bob his head up and down obviously while trying to hide on a corner while leaving his but and gun tip poking out?

Or like in shadow of war where during stealth first some reason enemy ai just missed ur companion ai stealthing right in front of them? Can they accurate find a path and timing to move accordingly to enemies line of sight?

And when u order a stealth attack on a target and hes not in ur line of sight does his throw knife magically appear from random side of screen smart flight its way towards enemies around the corner and critical one hit kill with pixel point accuracy?

In non stealth situations I live when Jackie uses the car as a shield but much to be said if that was scripted or not? Can they use their environment to their advantage? Will they use their hacking skills to help out. Can they intuitively see what ur doing and know what u need? Similar to bioshock 3, Elizabeth pass u ammo n such when u need it. But to make it fluid she appears and reappears when not in ur line of sight. So it's that what it's going to dumb down to them magically teleporting? If u run a mile away at high speed fly a chopper to the other side if town leaving them behind and after that would u turn around just to find them next to u saying "hey v wats up?"

The ai has just gotta be done so right yea "tight" is right word as per comment above

in one of the ask I did..(its somewhere in one of the thread)....uh , they said that when 'the situation require it'' .

So I'm pretty sure that mean , we will get companions based on a) choices we make and b) quest we will be doing .

That mean , we don't get a say much . Maybe we can decide to let X companion walk away or die . But I think thats about it . And don't think we will be able to choose who walk with us like in others game (FO4 , had Piper with me from beginning to end) .

I voted yes , because most games I played let me have a companion with me . The only thing I don't like , is when the game choose for you that companion . I rather walk around with my lady romance .

Edit: this here was the thread : https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...g-solo-possible.10981097/page-2#post-11108645

Last edited:
I like companions, but they've got to be good, especially in the area of dialogue. Hearing the same few lines over and over wears out it's welcome much faster than sub-par combat AI.

I do like having companions with me. I like "party banter" or little things they say that might be tied to lore or something. Like, if we went by a building and they go "Huh...this is where so-and-so went down" or something, I find it interesting. Sometimes they have funny dialogue, and I know not everyone likes comic relief, but I find it enjoyable.

If there is romance, I like taking my partner with me. I like hearing them sound concerned if I've been hit, or say something positive and sweet if something good happens. It's all more immersive for me, and helps me develop a connection to these characters.

I like companions, but they've got to be good, especially in the area of dialogue. Hearing the same few lines over and over wears out it's welcome much faster than sub-par combat AI.

This is mostly an issue with companions who can follow your character around any time you choose. I think Cyberpunk 2077 will have more Witcher-like companions, they will be written into their own specific quests.

I think Cyberpunk 2077 will have more Witcher-like companions, they will be written into their own specific quests.
Agreed, as much as I like Mass Effect style companion systems, I do not anticipate that being the case here. For story and setting purposes, it frankly makes more sense to have companionship be more transactional ... with other persons tagging along only when it suits them. If there are multiple companions in a mission though ... I do like party banter ... it adds a lot.

I think Cyberpunk 2077 will have more Witcher-like companions, they will be written into their own specific quests.

I agree, and it’s a bit of a shame. Companions in Witcher (3 for the closest memory) served pretty much no purpose beyond being narrative anchors and the situations and occurences with them felt more acted than alive, and as such, more predictable than tense or intriguing.

Top Bottom