Companions

+
Skyrim was developed by Bethesda. New Vegas was developed by Obsidian and published by Bethesda. One of many reasons why Obsidian > Bethesda.

"GIVE US A KISS!"

So. Annoying. It's just cruel to include repeated lines like that and the other one in a game where you can't mercilessly slaughter NPCs.

I know which company made what game, but it is still a game they published. I see absolutely no reason why they couldn't learn something from it.

I suspect you didn't play the game enough times. I would willingly have throttled her.

I think they need to work on the "background noise" conversations. Vergen got really, really repetitive.

Quite woman! There's an artist at work!

I despise annoying characters, and I despise not being allowed to kill them, or at least torture them in meaningful and therapeutic ways...

Skyrim was developed by Bethesda. New Vegas was developed by Obsidian and published by Bethesda. One of many reasons why Obsidian > Bethesda.

"GIVE US A KISS!"

So. Annoying. It's just cruel to include repeated lines like that and the other one in a game where you can't mercilessly slaughter NPCs.

So? Did you give him a kiss? He shuts up if you do it, Geralt just has to pucker up.

So? Did you give him a kiss? He shuts up if you do it, Geralt just has to pucker up.

That's what i'm saying... Try giving them what they want and they will shut up!

Little Girl: "Can girls be Witchers tooooooooooooo?"
Gerald: "Yes, i believe theoretically they can be. But the mutation designed to make Witchers designed to work on men and even that kills every 7 out of 10 of them, so it is harder for females to survive the process."

See, the girl will shut up now.. What else could she possibly ask? :D

Forum veteran
I tried pressing the K key and nothing happened. Then I typed "kiss," but that accomplished nothing but opening my inventory. Then I tried to kiss my monitor in the hopes that it would magically understand what I was going for, but it soon dawned on me that I was basically making out with an imaginary dwarf out of frustration. That's about the point where I gave up.

See, the girl will shut up now.. What else could she possibly ask? :D
Seeing as how she seems to be poor and most likely uneducated (being that there don't seem to be any schools around, or at least any that wouldn't require fighting through monster-infested forests to get to), probably something along the lines of, "What do the words 'theoretically,' 'mutation,' 'designed,' and 'process' mean, sir?" Or more likely:

"Why does he carry two swords? Does he lose them often?"

I hate that one. Always wanted to be able to reply, "So I can murder both of your parents at once, you little monster."

I tried pressing the K key and nothing happened. Then I typed "kiss," but that accomplished nothing but opening my inventory. Then I tried to kiss my monitor in the hopes that it would magically understand what I was going for, but it soon dawned on me that I was basically making out with an imaginary dwarf out of frustration. That's about the point where I gave up.

Seeing as how she seems to be poor and most likely uneducated (being that there don't seem to be any schools around, or at least any that wouldn't require fighting through monster-infested forests to get to), probably something along the lines of, "What do the words 'theoretically,' 'mutation,' 'designed,' and 'process' mean, sir?" Or more likely:

I hate that one. Always wanted to be able to reply, "So I can murder both of your parents at once, you little monster."

Well, to be fair, that's a good answer... No one would keep asking any questions after that.. :D

I agree that annoying characters are a huge detractor to any game, but the definition of an annoying character is hardly a static thing. I think to help with game balance, where different roles are allowed, companion characters will be needed. Corps, Medias, Netrunners and Fixers will need muscle just as Solos, Cops and Nomads will need brains and everyone needs a good Ripperdoc and Techie. Give us tons of options for companions, let us be able to search Craig's List for them. That way we can recruit based upon any metric we find useful, whether that is annoying factor, gullibility, price or loyalty. Heck you could even go looking for love that way.

Fallout and New Vegas are really the only games that I have played that ever did companions right... they weren't annoying, if you didn't want them around you could tell em to stay put, leave at your place, or send em home... and they could die....

and best of all, they each had their own little story, running alongside your own...

You could also get them to wear different outfits... which was kind of a bonus, though you could never make em wear the sexy undies...

Yeah I agree, Fallout and New Vegas would be a good starting place for how they develop companions, but with even more depth to their stories like in Torment (yeah I know referencing that game dates me but it is still better than most of the drek claiming to be RPGs put out today). I also think that some companions should betray you based on your actions and not be transparent about it, leave out the "you better change your ways or I'm leaving" dialogues. And of course the other way around, as most people in Night City are looking out for number one first and foremost, betrayal or at least larceny may be their default setting and it will take work to, if not make them loyal, at least make them not a danger to you. Having companions should provide a concrete benefit but also add a whole other level of paranoia to the game.

I get bored of repetition in single player games very quickly. (At least in MMO's I can talk to other people while I am doing the repetitive activity.) I hate the fact that I can look up a detailed walkthrough for just about any singleplayer game within a few weeks of it's release. With this in mind:
How difficult do you think it would be to have randomised companions available to our character?

Name, gender, ethnicity, role, personality, the works. All created when you first roll up your character. You will have to go through the game and be on the lookout for potential companions. They won't just 'fall into your lap'. (Well, some might, but that may be a very different type of 'fall'. The kind that costs by the hour...)

How should their personality traits and psychological effects affect them. What happens if you pair up with a guy who tells you he's a badass street fighter but the first time the bullets start flying, he wets his pants and runs like a girl? What about the other side of the coin. The over agressive, gung-ho types who have no fear and no sense?

Should companions who are taking too much fire be able to fall back on their own. That is basic self preservation right there.

Will some of our companions be willing to sell us out for the right price?

Is any of this possible?

I get bored of repetition in single player games very quickly. (At least in MMO's I can talk to other people while I am doing the repetitive activity.) I hate the fact that I can look up a detailed walkthrough for just about any singleplayer game within a few weeks of it's release. With this in mind:
How difficult do you think it would be to have randomised companions available to our character?

Name, gender, ethnicity, role, personality, the works. All created when you first roll up your character. You will have to go through the game and be on the lookout for potential companions. They won't just 'fall into your lap'. (Well, some might, but that may be a very different type of 'fall'. The kind that costs by the hour...)

How should their personality traits and psychological effects affect them. What happens if you pair up with a guy who tells you he's a badass street fighter but the first time the bullets start flying, he wets his pants and runs like a girl? What about the other side of the coin. The over agressive, gung-ho types who have no fear and no sense?

Should companions who are taking too much fire be able to fall back on their own. That is basic self preservation right there.

Will some of our companions be willing to sell us out for the right price?

Is any of this possible?

i would rather have companions with an actual personality,

The only benefit to random companions is that if they die you can replace them...

Now that being said, I have long been a promoter of a voiceless protagonist for this game, ala fallout... but if they were to make the companions voiceless too, then they could afford to have random personalities that get rolled up with them...

Regardless, I do think we should be able to customize our companions... at least in terms of outfit and weapons... maybe they can get better the longer they stay alive too...

I'd love some kind of "malkavian" companion, not necessarily someone or something i should have a deep relationship with, kind of glados

i would rather have companions with an actual personality,

The only benefit to random companions is that if they die you can replace them...

Now that being said, I have long been a promoter of a voiceless protagonist for this game, ala fallout... but if they were to make the companions voiceless too, then they could afford to have random personalities that get rolled up with them...

Regardless, I do think we should be able to customize our companions... at least in terms of outfit and weapons... maybe they can get better the longer they stay alive too...
I don't mean 'disposable' companions. I mean that our companions would be unique every time you create a new character. New names, faces, the works.

Let's take Dragon Age as an example. You start by recruiting Alistair, (i'll use the term loosely,) and he's Alistair. No matter how many new games you start, He doesn't change. Nada. Now what if his name could change, and his face, gender or personality too. You would have a totally unique character to get to know over your adventures. He, (or maybe she,) would not react the same to each situation and you would have to get to know them to work out how to use their skills to the maximum of their potential.

That's what I'm driving at.

From a storytellng perspective, randos aren't that interesting because they're basically blank and disposable. I like the idea of defined characters with personalities, backgrounds, and agendas. If it's possible for your companions to also turn into your love interest, then it's more interesting if they aren't randos, otherwise you have a Skyrim-like situation where you're the only living thing in the entire world. I don't want to go through that again, so I'd like companions which are alive.

And Chris, if you're making the game boring by looking up a walkthrough, then that's not the game's fault.

Okay, but if the point is to "be surprised" by companion recruitment, then I'd rather have a system where it's possible to miss out on companions because of your choices. And perhaps getting a new person to your side opens up some other missions. That way you have something new to look forward to with each playthrough.

I'd like to see a full on outlaw companion, the quintessential bad guy partner in crime to run Night City alongside with. Someone who will become your right hand man. Kind of like how Sundance Kid was to Butch Cassidy. Someone who loves crime just as much as you do and is just as quick on the draw as yourself.

From a storytellng perspective, randos aren't that interesting because they're basically blank and disposable. I like the idea of defined characters with personalities, backgrounds, and agendas. If it's possible for your companions to also turn into your love interest, then it's more interesting if they aren't randos, otherwise you have a Skyrim-like situation where you're the only living thing in the entire world. I don't want to go through that again, so I'd like companions which are alive.

And Chris, if you're making the game boring by looking up a walkthrough, then that's not the game's fault.

Okay, but if the point is to "be surprised" by companion recruitment, then I'd rather have a system where it's possible to miss out on companions because of your choices. And perhaps getting a new person to your side opens up some other missions. That way you have something new to look forward to with each playthrough.
I'm looking at it more from a longterm perspective. Rather than creating a new character and going off recruiting companions quickly and easily, (because I've already worked them out once,) I would like to see completely new companions, still with a vibrant backstory and personality, who would be unique to that characters playthrough.

Top Bottom