Count Reuven's Treasure: Reward (Spoilers)

+
Count Reuven's Treasure: Reward (Spoilers)

For the first time, I decided to let Triss under-go the torture to see how things play out.

After doing the impossible, risking my life (And Triss'.), and delaying my hunt for Ciri, I finally managed to find the location of Dijkstra's horde of gold. I found 20 tons of it (Probably coming up to MILLIONS of gold coins.), and after all of that, you know what the reward was?

90 crowns.

I have to spend 200 crowns to bribe a farmer, and this is what he gave me.

Lol. :p

I would actually consider indulging Triss's bravado and prioritize the retrieval of the treasure if count Reuven looks like Francesca Findabair instead of a mountain of meat.
Also,
Geralt: Perfect place for a tryst...with Triss...
Triss: Mhm... Ceiling's collapsed, mold on the walls, mouse droppings in the corner... Lips almost pucker on their own...
instead of
Torturer: This little piggy had roast beef...
Triss: Aaayye...! You bastard... No...
Torturer: This little piggy had none...
Triss: Aaa... Aaaaa...

This quest is absolutely hilarious :D

I found 20 tons of it (Probably coming up to MILLIONS of gold coins.), and after all of that, you know what the reward was?

90 crowns.

If you do find out where the treasure is, then you will get a larger reward (1000 crowns ? Not sure about the exact amount, I have yet to choose that path) later. Not that it is really needed by that time.

Last edited:
If you do find out where the treasure is, then you will get a larger reward (1000 crowns ? Not sure about the exact amount, I have yet to choose that path) later. Not that it is really needed by that time.

How do you find out what the treasure is? I thought I did everything right. Didn't he say that it was 20 tons of gold, along with some miscellaneous trinkets?

It's "where", not "what". You can find out only if you go through the full torture and then ask Menge about the treasure first, instead of asking about Dandelion. The main financial benefit comes later, during Brothers in Arms, rather than as an immediate reward. It probably isn't worth it for the money, but it does give you an extra little quest as you still don't know where Dandelion is after Menge's death, so imo it's worth doing at least once just for that.

It's "where", not "what". You can find out only if you go through the full torture and then ask Menge about the treasure first, instead of asking about Dandelion. The main financial benefit comes later, during Brothers in Arms, rather than as an immediate reward. It probably isn't worth it for the money, but it does give you an extra little quest as you still don't know where Dandelion is after Menge's death, so imo it's worth doing at least once just for that.

That's exactly what I did. It's how I found the location of the treasure. It didn't reveal anything besides the location, though.

That's exactly what I did. It's how I found the location of the treasure. It didn't reveal anything besides the location, though.

You learn what the treasure is from Dijkstra himself, and always get the key to it from Menge after he dies. But you only find out the location of the treasure if you ask Menge about it ("I'm looking for this treasure…" - he will then tell that it is "Secure in a Koviri bank. Far and safe from you, far and safe from Reuven"). Also, the interrogation scene with Yamurlak is avoided only if you get Dandelion's location from Menge ("Free my friend Dandelion" - if you already asked about the treasure, then he will grow suspicious and call the guards).

90 crowns.
Coincidentally, I did this quest yesterday as well.

90 crowns is the reward I got for "key but no information about treasure's location". As you will always get the key, this is just the standard key finder's fee.

The real reward for the treasure's location comes later, in two occasions, actually.

a) during Poet Under Pressure, you can ask Dijkstra for help. He will happily offer 3 henchmen. If you press for more and are honest, he'll double the amount of henchmen.
b) Novigrad Allies for Battle of Kaer Morhen. Dijkstra will, just like Cerys or Crach, btw, not journey there by himself or send and army. He will provide 1000 crowns, some crafting schematics and some greater runestones.

By the way, it shouldn't matter that "this pityful amount of coin is so small", really. That sword that Crach forces on Geralt is worth much less, and everyone is swooning how great Crach is for helping out like that.

And yeah, of course the henchmen aren't "needed" during Poet under Pressure. But nobody can say that Dijkstra is a total dick who doesn't help out at all. Seriously.

Last edited:
He never helped me out during Poet Under Pressure if I didn't discover the treasure's location.

As a matter of fact, Geralt only pipes in this option during the chat with Zoltan after Play is the Thing, if I had discovered the location. Else, Dijkstra as an option for help just is never mentioned at all.

Maybe he would help, without any quest objective pointing it out, but I never tried.

And since I overwrote this save and have no intentions of solving Count Reuven's Treasure again in the nearby future without discovering the location, I can't just check it out.

Maybe some of you "but Triss can't be tortured!" guys should check it out? Even after an early "I have enough of this shit" path through the quest, the key should have been found and given to Dijkstra, after all.

Last edited:
Right, I have only checked Dijkstra's dialogue if it depends on the treasure being found, there are indeed checks for it in the conversation with Dudu and Zoltan. On the other hand, after loading an old save where A Poet Under Pressure is already completed, the journal says that I did "(Optional) Ask Dijkstra for help rescuing Dandelion", while other journal entries show that I did not find the treasure. Would need to test it by playing the quest again, maybe it is something that was changed or fixed in one of the patches ?

By the way, I presume those who mock other players for missing the reward (by avoiding the torture or asking about Dandelion) for role playing reasons also always bring Ciri to Emhyr and take his reward ? If I recall correctly, he even gives more money than Dijkstra. ;)

And yeah, of course the henchmen aren't "needed" during Poet under Pressure. But nobody can say that Dijkstra is a total dick who doesn't help out at all. Seriously.

Yeah, I never quite got the point of that one, except to prove that Djikstra isn't a total dick.

By the way, I presume those who mock other players for missing the reward (by avoiding the torture or asking about Dandelion) for role playing reasons also always bring Ciri to Emhyr and take his reward ? If I recall correctly, he even gives more money than Dijkstra. ;)

Absolutely not.
Him asking about the treasure first doesn't in itself imply callousness towards Dandelion, just misjudgement in thinking he can get away with asking BOTH questions, plus a desire to keep Djikstra happy so that Djikstra doesn't find out exactly who stole his gold. It's never about the money. He only even asked for money to keep Djikstra from suspecting an ulterior motive.
After all, he's probably the richest witcher in the world already by then, and the reward wouldn't keep Roach in apples, never mind fund his next armour. ;)

Last edited:
You realize that there's a difference between "I totally came up with this plan and I want to do it and I seem to be oddly relieved if I killed that Menge with my own hands" vs "Hey, 'daughter who I apparently want to forsake', I am now going to talk you into doing something that you don't want to?"

It is interesting that you found that optional objective. I looked out for it last night and it never showed up as I was between the dialogue with Zoltan and the ambush site.
Interesting indeed. I just checked out the completed Poet under Pressure and found the optional objective regarding Dijkstra in red as well. But it never appeared as a choice during the quest.

So that really means that one of you guys needs to test what happens if you walk to Dijkstra at this stage without the prompt.

Maybe Dijkstra would say something at that point. I doubt that he'd send in the henchmen though, because why should he?

You realize that there's a difference between "I totally came up with this plan and I want to do it and I seem to be oddly relieved if I killed that Menge with my own hands" vs "Hey, 'daughter who I apparently want to forsake', I am now going to talk you into doing something that you don't want to?"

The part in bold is something Geralt's character does not know in advance, there is simply a choice between:

1. Free my friend Dandelion.
2. I'm looking for this treasure…
3. Fuck it. Had enough of this masquerade.

Not knowing about the exact outcome of each choice, in my opinion it makes the most sense to choose 1 over 2. In the given situation, anything could go wrong at any time, that should be obvious even without the knowledge that there will indeed be no second chance. It is not like Geralt is having a tea party with Menge, he could easily grow suspicious and call the guards, and also every additional line of the conversation means more torture. Therefore, it is best to choose what one finds the most important the first. You are even warned to focus on Dandelion and that the treasure is of secondary importance:

Geralt: What about the treasure?
Triss: If we learn anything, great. If not…
Geralt: Thought you need coin from Dijkstra to help the other mages.
Triss: True, I do… Lots of ways to get gold, though. It's just not the most important thing now.

Regarding the comparison to taking (or not) the reward from Emhyr, my point was that one can indeed make choices for reasons other than maximizing gameplay related benefits (money, XP, and whatever else). It was not about comparing the morality of the two situations, even if I would not feel particularly good in Geralt's place about prioritizing some treasure over the life of one of my best friends and by extension my daughter, nor about using Triss' help to find Ciri for monetary gain instead. Although in the game failing to get the information about Dandelion for this reason seems to be attributed to incompetence, rather than malice, I guess the latter is just less in character for the witcher.

Edit: returning to the topic of Dijkstra's reward and specifically his henchmen in A Poet Under Pressure, they are apparently no longer available in the current version of the game if the treasure is not found. I am quite sure I got them in the past without the treasure, and the old save mentioned earlier also seems to confirm that, so I think this is something that was changed in one of the patches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom