Cpu = 100 % Gpu = 0%

+
I know a lot of people had this issue in the past.. But I can't play this game anymore and i'm sooooooo sad. CPU usage goes to 100% but GPU is at 0-1%..

I have a GTX 1060 but for some reason the game won't use it.. I followed tutorials for nvidia control pannel but nothing seems to work.. I'm a bit lost..
If I play league of legends the GPU is used.. Any type of help appreciated :) !

Whats your CPU/RAM? Is there an integrated graphics card on your computer (if there is you need to make sure the game uses the GTX and not the integrated card).

Changing the vsync settings might also help. And close every non-essential background application, just in case.

I have what looks to be the same problem.
Been trying to play this game for a while, gave up, and, like a lot of people, I am back after having finished the show. Even bought the DLCs for the occasion (thus upgraded to the GOTY edition, if that matters ?).

THE PROBLEM : This game just won't use my GPU. I am stuck on integrated graphics, like quite a few people according to my Google searches.

MY SETUP : I am playing on an Optimus laptop, an XPS 15 : i7-7700HQ, 32GB for RAM, GTX 1050. Latest stable Windows version. GOG edition of the game 1.31A.

WHAT I TRIED : The game will launch using the GTX if I force it to (right click the .exe) but once I get to the main menu I see it switching back to integrated graphics (GPU 0) in the task manager. Only game which does this.
Tried :
- The Control Panel method (with the card checkbox and max power settings)
- Older drivers (with DDU)
- using laptop screen instead of HDMI
- uninstalled GeForce Experience...
- Checked "Documents" folder permissions
- Disabling integrated graphics via manager (Got way worse)
- Closed every background program, just in case.
Anyone got any ideas what I could try beside reinstalling Windows ?

ADDITIONAL INFO : I can try to switch the game to Ultra the game seems to ignore it and stay at what looks like low. My integrated graphic will max out at 30% usage or something, even if I push it with mods (since the game won't change quality anyway).

Thank you,
A confused laptop peasant

Last edited:
Can you access the menu of the game? Experimenting with the display mode might be worth a try.

It‘s also possible, that a background app is interfering. I‘d close everything that‘s non essential and running in the background.

The nvidia control panel also lets you edit gpu settings for each program (not sure how it’s called in the English version of the control panel but the 3D Settings there let you click on program settings too, here you can select TW3).

Maybe also check out these suggestions from the support website:

Last edited:
After reading dozens of threads I found a post from a moderator about a particular Nvidia Driver. I used Display Driver Uninstaller and installed the 385.69-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql .
Forced the game AND GOG Launcher to run on the 1050 via the Nvidia control center. Restarted and... it works. The game no longer uses my integrated graphics but my GTX.
It's incredibly annoying though ... since I have to reinstall drivers between my work and gaming session now (Adobe suits isn't friendly to years old drivers). I love your games but the witcher 3 isn't old enough to justify this special treatment... Makes me fear for your future games even though I am sure Nvidia and Optimus should take part of the blame.
You should maybe post a sticky post with the driver because I am sure I ain't the only one with this issue and with a lot of people coming back to the game it would help I'm sure.

Thank you for your time :)

Can you access the menu of the game? Experimenting with the display mode might be worth a try.
I was able to do everything but with integrated graphics that is.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that developers can‘t adjust their game to every new gpu update. After all, there‘s a new driver release almost every week and sometimes a lot is changing. Programs built with less common engines often have a disadvantage because of that (compared to frequently used engines). Anyhow, might be worth reaching out to Nvidia support and tell them about the bug.

I agree, I just hope they get closer to Nvidia to prevent this for future game. For the sake of everyone with some kind of weird laptop that will buy The Witcher 3 for the years to come (the netflix show might be as big of a hit as GOT for all we know) I might send a DM to Nvidia.

Top Bottom