Crash to desktop during Wandering in the Dark

+

Guest 3854627

Crash to desktop during Wandering in the Dark

Hello everyone,

Witcher 3 crashes every time I open the "Swallow Portal" during the quest "Wandering in the Dark". I'm talking about the portal that open when you examine the swallow symbol right after you dealt with the horse symbols. Geralt says "Think that's... swallow.", the portal opens and suddenly, the game is closed without error message.

The game is running in full screen mode and I tried all graphic settings from low to ultra. If I turn away from the portal, the game doesn't crash, but as soon as I look at it, the game crashes. I even tried to walk through the portal without looking at it, but as soon as I get to it, the game crashes as well.

My specs:
CPU: Intel i7 (2.8 GHz)
GPU: ATI Radeon 5800 Series
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

I also attached an example crashinfo file. Except for the Thread IDs, they are all identical.

Thanks!

EDIT: I run patch version 1.08.4

Attachments

• witcher3.exe_crash_20150821_073133897.crashinfo.txt
    15 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
HI,

I have the same issue did you happen to find a solution?
We have the same grahpic card which might state something.

CPU: Amd phenom (2.8 GHz)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
RAM: 4 GB DDR3
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

Thanks

Using any mods? Have you tried verifying / validating the installation through Steam / GOG?

I have no idea if this will help, but I'll post it to give you something to try, as I had a similar problem during the Bloody Baron Quest. (And I just completed the Wandering in the Dark Quest yesterday).

There is a post I made about a week ago about CTD's in Crows Perch that is a similar situation to what you are experiencing. Due to a choice I had made earlier, I had to talk to an "old man by the well" to get access to the Baron's castle in Crows Perch. But every time I got near the old man, or got into a conversation with him, the game would CTD within a couple of minutes. Happened 5 times in a row. I loaded a previous save, made a different choice, and headed back to Crows Perch, only to have a CTD in the wilderness.

I verified installation (GOG), and all DLCs were correctly installed. Then I did 2 things: 1) made an exception in my AV program (Trend Micro) for the executable for Witcher 3. 2) created a desktop shortcut, right clicked it to "run as administrator". I then ran the game from the short cut, and 40 hours later, I haven't had any CTD, crash, or any negative issues. Drawback being, you don' get the achievements in GOG, nor are your game hours logged. For me, it was a small price to pay to run the game without crashing.

It may have been a GOG issue, as there was an update about the time my CTDs started. It may have been a Windows 10 issue, or my AV program. I don't really know for certain, only speculating. But I do know my game has run crash free since I made the changes. As I said, it may not be relative to your issue, but it's something you can try, because I know how frustrating it can be when you're really into a game and then it just crashes constantly prohibiting further progress. I don 't think it's an issue with the game itself (although you should verify installation to be sure).

Also, I'm not sure what the min/max memory requirements are off the top of my head, but 4 GB seems a bit low to me.

CPU: I7 6800, over clocked to 4.2 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX1080
Ram: 32 GB DDR4
Motherboard: X99A
PSU: 1000wt EVGA

Top Bottom