Critical analysis about current patch, and serious thoughts about Gwent`s future

+
Critical analysis about current patch, and serious thoughts about Gwent`s future

Apologizes for my poor English to begin with. But a Chinese player as I am, I have been playing Gwent the Witcher Card Game(GTWCG in short) for months since the days of the launch of close beta version and had been an all-along witness of the always-tremendously changes of the game as the versions going onward: Indeed, in the patches past,the GTWCG production team has done a good job almost all along the versions. However, here with the advent of the winter “great” update, what I see is something disastrous: the game experience was ruined with quantities of problems from the UI designation to some unforgivable server matters and the least of compare among them, the new balance system, but there were not only the in-game problems above, the Production team shall be also guilty as charged this time. When I take glances in all kinds of BBSes from Reddit to even Baidu posts (I`m in China after all), there are all kinds of complainants speaking about almost everything in every ways about the new patch, that`s the last thing I would call “positive” for any game. And here in the article, I do not think we`ve got the necessity to show any more instances (I believe you`ve got someone who take salary by looking at them). So enough side talks, let`s get to something juicy: Indeed, this update is LARGE, and CDPR wanted it to be a LARGE present for players, for both veterans and amateurs. But quality-based speaking, the patch brought nothing as good as those who came before, it was not a present, it is a total DIASASTER.

Possible underestimation about the workload made by Project managers

First things first, let`s talk about something about the production team. Before that, let me tell my story to prove myself qualified for comments: I'm a mobile game tester working for a Chinese game company (contact me for further details). Last month, our producer said, ” Here comes Christmas. Do you want a bonus? Then just be ready to break your back: if our game granted itself with a recommendation on Google play or some other app store that counts(like Apple`s), then there would be a bonus.” Later, we were told that a big-scale update shall be brought about before Christmas. Sounds like a Mission Impossible, right? Desperation was wandering like a spectre when the deadline was delivered to us, but no one dared to come up with any objection. One thing more to mention is that, no one in our project is specifically responsible for project management, it shall be producer`s work. But the producer just dived himself into playing PUBG and we are left all on our own.
Before the update, our game is a Chinese-only on both matters of servers and localization. After the winter update, it`s now granted with a ridiculous localization support for extra 9 languages, 4 new patterns and even a global server available(All is ridiculous enough for any kind of one-month work). You can't imagine how stressed our work was in the last month: We`ve got a month of endurance filled with overtimes till at least 9 o 'clock P. M., and not a day was off on weekends. If you find someone didn't come to work today, he must have stayed up all last night. Thankfully, our game was eventually recommended by Google play and was selected for the best update of apple store China.

Still, there were quantities of bugs in the even latest patches. We have to fix them in the next and next and next hot fixes because there is no Christmas break for us. To be honest, I really hope that someone in our project will take the responsibility for the project schedule so that we won't have to work overtime in the days before next Christmas.

Let's move on to the winter update of GTWCG. In my opinion, the matter our team suffered from shall just be the same the GTWCG project is suffering. Half a year ago, I was looking forward to the Thronebreaker, new model and new cards. Later, I was told that the new campaign would be postponed. I comforted myself: that's ok, and there would be LOTS of new cards released with the winter update. But when the winter update really came along, I realized that this update was also a shortcut production. Usually, the game testers would be able to pick out most of the system problems and identify the priority and severity of them. Then they could send the programmers to do their debug magic on the basis of priority. Sometimes those not-so-serious bugs will be spared from instant solution and being mended at the following hot-fixes if the deadline is approaching fast and working overtime won’t help. According to my own experience, never shall the production team lower their requirements for product quality UNLESS such things happens in such a absurd time. It seems that the development team is tired of dealing with the multi-line works. And this time, I hope the team can learn from it. After all, Mahakam was not built in a day, so won`t a good and ACCOMPLISHED game.

Changes of GTWCG in the years past

One thing to admit is that the GTWCG team is very “dynamic”. Every time when the meta environment seems to be petrified, then a large-scale patch would nuke it away, and make all the things anew. This would cause many cards and even basic game mechanism to change, or even renewed. I can say that not much production teams in the world would dare to make so much decisive changes when a game is still in the phase of public beta. Everyone has noticed that the base model of card has gradually expanded, some of the most distinctive combos and some OP abilities are all gone. The Depth of the game system designation shrinks, but somewhat worthy for the game’s balance and competitiveness to improve.(But still, I miss the faction specialties, it`s Witcher world game after all.) I really miss those crazy combos in close beta, but I know for a better Gwent, we need some serious sacrifices.

So much innovation has gone through, but the imbalance between the offensive-defensive players is still a serious problem as it always used to be. The community has given so many solutions and I highly recommend this one: one of the players make the compensation points of offensive, another one choose to be the offensive or defensive side. This method is permanent because meta would be a nice field to find out the fair compensation points.

It’s quite strange that Gwent winter update is now making RNG a main part of the version. Indeed, balancing fun and competition is scale hard enough to balance with. One simple solution is set up a new model where you can use some crazy cards full of randomness. And of course, I believe CDPR would be creative enough to found a better way.

Another thing I have to point out is that those cards which can create certain spies like “HYM” really destructive to other players’ game experiences, unless the opponent also add “HYM” to his/her decks or remove spy from their decks which make it worse. You need to be very careful when designing cards related to something that is able to shift the offensive/defensive relation or more directly, cards in hand. Maybe I'm just over-worried, but the the offensive/defensive shifting spies are just good designs, and I don`t want to see them disappear in the future.

I know GTWCG would keep itself updating, maybe we could see more tremulous changes, what I only hope is that, the CDPR could still keep acknowledged about what they want in mind.

Will mobile Gwent make Gwent better?

We often hear people say: we need mobile Gwent. In the past, I would laugh at them and say: there are so many units in six rows that no smart-phone can run it lag-free, not to mention those florid premium cards. However, this update limits the number of units in a single row. It seems that mobile Gwent has been on the agenda. I don’t exclude mobile Gwent because the main stream players(most of them prefer games on mobiles) really need it. My only concern is whether the mobile version will impede the designs in the PC game itself from UI to cards. I’m afraid we can no longer watch exquisite animation effects of cards or any complex card ability just for fitting in a new runtime platform. Mobility requires a lot of sacrifice, but do not lose the soul of Gwent.
I know this is an imposition that can we keep designing complex special effects for PC but simplifying them for mobile devices? That is what Hearthstone is doing, and whatever is PROVED itself to be a good idea.

Gwent in China

GAEAMOBILE CO., LTD is the current operator of Gwent in China. But not only in my opinion, GAEA is now regarded as an operator of no qualification for such a good game. Text errors occur in almost all versions, including the absence of character library and the unforgivable errs in the description of the card abilities. In this winter update they made mistakes AS USUAL. Another thing to mention is that I am also running tests about game`s word localization for my company. Different from localization, this is a simple and boring progress, all you need is patience and time. But I have never seen anyone or any company making mistakes so ridiculous, and so often. I guess there should be very few localization testers in GAEA and the time given is quite short. What’s more, GAEA's broadcasting is also far below any kind of satisfactory, this even make the players and streamers in China losing their faith toward the game, some of the streaming platforms are even closing the Gwent section only for there is no enough propagand in the views to make the game popular in the future. Even during latest Gwent challenge, there were frequent lags took place in the streaming, which remained unresolved the next day. In Japanese streaming platforms, that`s what they call a streaming accident. That`s just way too much from any simple mistakes.They didn`t even think about the users who made themselves back to the Chinese server would be in demand of logging to the CDPR forum, I suggest they were just not wise enough to consider about customer needs and wants.The account I am using now is newly registered, and the original GOG account cannot be logged into the forum.

I’m glad to hear that CDPR had set up a Chinese branch. What I hope is that, in the future the localization work of Gwent could be rearranged by some way much more dependable localization groups like Indienova to ensure everything would be beautifully and accurately shown to the Chinese players, just like what was said in the former documentaries. And I would be of more than any greatest joy to have a chance of taking part into the works of Chinese branch if they needs someone good at field testing of GTWCG and knowing well about game testing, so big the world is, and so many game companies, one company for a nation exists only in some extremely-special conditions, so I hope they could find someone to help them do as Romans do in Rome .

“I forgive you. This time”

After a year of hard work, you guys really need a good rest. As a game tester, I can imagine how hard it is to make so many updates in a year with so few mistakes. If you could learn from the current disaster and I’m sure GTWCG would become one of the best Collectible card games, ever.

I wish you a merry Christmas.

P.S. Don’t forget giving kegs for the bugs of winter update when you come back.

I agree on every point, but your post is extremely too long. you would get more responses by spliting it into 2 or 3 separate threads.

I don't have much to add here. Gave you a Red point for a lengthy and well thought out analysis.

p.s. It was also educational to learn about the game developing scene and what goes on behind the curtains:).

merim_10;n10116522 said:
I agree on every point, but your post is extremely too long. you would get more responses by spliting it into 2 or 3 separate threads.

Thank you for your advice. Next time, I will publish my idea in time so as not to be as concentrated as it is now.

alexandr22;n10117532 said:
You are a hero.

Thank you, but I don't think I'm worth being called a hero. The real hero is the staff behind the game.I just said what I thought.

nemirni;n10117472 said:
I don't have much to add here. Gave you a Red point for a lengthy and well thought out analysis.

p.s. It was also educational to learn about the game developing scene and what goes on behind the curtains:).

I am very glad that my article is helpful to others,and thank you for your Red point.

I also live in China (Englishman in China) I play against Chinese people everyday. They are always the best at finding exploits in the game haha

Seriously though. Well done for writing such a detailed post. Make it shorter next time (wink)

fengci;n10114381 said:
GAEAMOBILE CO., LTD is the current operator of Gwent in China. But not only in my opinion, GAEA is now regarded as an operator of no qualification for such a good game. Text errors occur in almost all versions, including the absence of character library and the unforgivable errs in the description of the card abilities. In this winter update they made mistakes AS USUAL. Another thing to mention is that I am also running tests about game`s word localization for my company. Different from localization, this is a simple and boring progress, all you need is patience and time. But I have never seen anyone or any company making mistakes so ridiculous, and so often. I guess there should be very few localization testers in GAEA and the time given is quite short.
As you note CDP is from Poland. I am from Poland too .There is bunch of spelling mistakes/bad translation every single patch. I have been advice on polish forum to use english card description during play game, because of wrong polish desriptions. CDP don't care about about that. After last patch, i suppose ,they care about money only and they decided to cash this game asap. I wish them good luck with the following EA path.

fubuki81;n10122302 said:
As you note CDP is from Poland. I am from Poland too .There is bunch of spelling mistakes/bad translation every single patch. I have been advice on polish forum to use english card description during play game, because of wrong polish desriptions. CDP don't care about about that. After last patch, i suppose ,they care about money only and they decided to cash this game asap. I wish them good luck with the following EA path.

In my opinion, the revenue of the game does not match its input, and the producer may want to improve performance at the end of the year. But the production team has to complete the campaign mode and a large number of new cards, which is too stressful for them, leading to the failure of the winter update.I think the team need to calm down, step by step.We should be patient and give them some time.

Look from this side :
- Game does not make profit, because it is still in beta
- tens of tousends players test it for free. The only one benefit for them was having cards already when game will be realeased...until now
- last patch brought over 100 cards and most of new cards are in use, so old players lost their advantage as they have to make new cards...
- crafting cards price . Well, before was 20 scraps for basic Card now is 10. You have to destroy 80 Basic cards to make one Gold. Twice more difficult than before. Usually from one keg you have 60 scraps, easilly get 3 kegs a day for me, so i need 4 days crafting for one Gold . I did opened over 100 kegs since update and i got no more than 4 new Gold and no more than half of new cards silver and Basic. How we can say this game is free atm, when new person to have working deck Has to grind for weeks or buy kegs( any difference between kegs and ea's loot boxes? )
- this game is multiplayer only, so it force ppl to buy loot kegs. The same practice as ea do.
- Bugs, plenty of them given with winter update, not fixed at all.
Will you pay in restaurant when they brought you meal with bugs inside? I totally understand business , i know they have to cash game and i agree with that. I just disagree with how they do that : trying to make a profit from game still staying beta, full of bugs with the same "loot boxes" practice which brought criticism to whole game industry.

It seems they are taking this great dark fantasy and turning it into a childish cartoon for kids who play hearthstone, no doubt in an effort to move the game to a mobile platform. It saddens me to see the direction they are taking.

It has been downhill for me personally since the gold targeting patch in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
cwlouis;n10140742 said:
Bugs are the worst part this patch

In my opinion, this version of the squirrel party is more disgusting than bugs.

I agree with you part of the view,but the worst part is they are on vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
fubuki81;n10126432 said:
Look from this side :
- tens of tousends players test it for free. The only one benefit for them was having cards already when game will be realeased...until now
- last patch brought over 100 cards and most of new cards are in use, so old players lost their advantage as they have to make new cards...
- crafting cards price . Well, before was 20 scraps for basic Card now is 10. You have to destroy 80 Basic cards to make one Gold. Twice more difficult than before. Usually from one keg you have 60 scraps, easilly get 3 kegs a day for me, so i need 4 days crafting for one Gold . I did opened over 100 kegs since update and i got no more than 4 new Gold and no more than half of new cards silver and Basic. How we can say this game is free atm, when new person to have working deck Has to grind for weeks or buy kegs( any difference between kegs and ea's loot boxes? )
- this game is multiplayer only, so it force ppl to buy loot kegs. The same practice as ea do.
- Bugs, plenty of them given with winter update, not fixed at all.

In regards you you points about polish, you have to understand that although CDPR are a polish company, their main base of users are english speaking and so that will be their main focus. Sucks that sometimes the polish cards aren't describing what they do correctly in the text, but honestly some of the english text descriptions aren't right either.

As for the rest:
- Yes, the game is in beta still, anyone playing the open beta is playing it specifically with the knowledge that it's in beta and will still have changes made and run the possibility of bugs. That's why it's still in beta and not alpha
- Not really seeing the problem with new cards having to be crafted, keeps the game interesting and is the same as any other card game releasing new cards. Again, it's in beta, we are expecting frequent changes. If they never released new cards, the game would become stale very quickly
- 4 days for a gold doesn't seem all that bad to me. That means with just a few hours a day, a new played could have a very good deck within about a week, especially when you consider all the rewards for tutorial and challenges too, plus extra lootboxes for each level up which happens rapidly at lower levels. While lootboxes are a contentious issue right now, it's been a standard for card games forever, because card games are about opening packs and making decks from what you get in the packs. Even before computers and gaming ever existed, kids would buy card packs are the store and open them not knowing what they'd get. Comparing it to EA isn't a fair comparison because GWENT IS FREE. You are paying absolutely nothing to play this game, and you can continue paying absolutely nothing forever. You could have 600hrs on the game and still not have paid a single thing for it. Personally I've got close to 200hrs on the game, had a few good decks that have got me up to rank 19, and I'd not paid a single thing for it. Last month I finally paid for the beginner pack because I only thought it fair to give CDPR some of my money after playing the game so long for free :p Compare £3.99 for 200hrs of gameplay, to buying an EA game for £50+ before you've even played it.
- of course the game is multiplayer, it's an online card game?! We already know there will be a single player mode later (this year hopefully), but that will be a paid for experience and have no connection to the multiplayer cards. Again, EA are putting microtransactions on top of a game that players are made to pay $60-80+ for. Gwent is free. If EA had released battlefront as a free game, this lootbox thing likely wouldn't have caused even close to as much issue.
- Bugs are expected, it's in beta. They're taking longer to fix this time because it's around Christmas.

Bondonkadonk;n10149812 said:
In regards you you points about polish, you have to understand that although CDPR are a polish company, their main base of users are english speaking and so that will be their main focus. Sucks that sometimes the polish cards aren't describing what they do correctly in the text, but honestly some of the english text descriptions aren't right either.

As for the rest:
- Yes, the game is in beta still, anyone playing the open beta is playing it specifically with the knowledge that it's in beta and will still have changes made and run the possibility of bugs. That's why it's still in beta and not alpha
- Not really seeing the problem with new cards having to be crafted, keeps the game interesting and is the same as any other card game releasing new cards. Again, it's in beta, we are expecting frequent changes. If they never released new cards, the game would become stale very quickly
- 4 days for a gold doesn't seem all that bad to me. That means with just a few hours a day, a new played could have a very good deck within about a week, especially when you consider all the rewards for tutorial and challenges too, plus extra lootboxes for each level up which happens rapidly at lower levels. While lootboxes are a contentious issue right now, it's been a standard for card games forever, because card games are about opening packs and making decks from what you get in the packs. Even before computers and gaming ever existed, kids would buy card packs are the store and open them not knowing what they'd get. Comparing it to EA isn't a fair comparison because GWENT IS FREE. You are paying absolutely nothing to play this game, and you can continue paying absolutely nothing forever. You could have 600hrs on the game and still not have paid a single thing for it. Personally I've got close to 200hrs on the game, had a few good decks that have got me up to rank 19, and I'd not paid a single thing for it. Last month I finally paid for the beginner pack because I only thought it fair to give CDPR some of my money after playing the game so long for free :p Compare £3.99 for 200hrs of gameplay, to buying an EA game for £50+ before you've even played it.
- of course the game is multiplayer, it's an online card game?! We already know there will be a single player mode later (this year hopefully), but that will be a paid for experience and have no connection to the multiplayer cards. Again, EA are putting microtransactions on top of a game that players are made to pay $60-80+ for. Gwent is free. If EA had released battlefront as a free game, this lootbox thing likely wouldn't have caused even close to as much issue.
- Bugs are expected, it's in beta. They're taking longer to fix this time because it's around Christmas.

This game is not beginner friendly. I have almost 500 hours spend playing gwent and i can tell you this is the only game giving you less for playing more time a day. My bro started playing gwent ( he came back after 6 months break) and he plays almost one month now and still got his skellige bears deck only, because can not made enough cards for any other deck after 80 hours ( rank 17 atm).
Yes it has bugs, yes t is beta, but after one year got much more of bugs than a year ago....... Last patch was a joke. Seriously. I play online games more than 15 years now and that was the biggest fall i have seen. This game went back to alpha stage. And what CDP did as a response? Nothing. Oh well, CDP just ask youtubers ( some of them got plenty of benefits so they support CDP) to support changes and to tell players bugs are nothing important...... It looks like CDP completely lost idea how to make this game. Biggest disappointment ever.

This game can be difficult at first, but the thing is it'll always pair you up with similar MMR. No card games will give you all the best card and meta decks the moment you sign up. I played some of the closed beta but came into the open beta very late, when most people had loads of cards and plenty of good decks. Even so, after doing the challenges and getting some free ore and kegs from that, you can still make a fairly solid beginner deck, and when you queue in casual everyone else will be in the same boat as you with equally basic beginner decks.

There's plenty of games out there with a reward system that gives you less for playing more, it's a common way to reward everyone without giving huge advantages to people who have the time to play 6+hrs a day, plus it encourages players to keep coming back, so rather than thinking "I can do x in one day" you're more likely to do it over 2 or 3 days. I bet you'd be just as quick to complain if it was the other way around and you COULD get more rewards for playing longer, where someone who played the game for 8hrs could farm 10-20 kegs, while you might only be able to manage a few hours a day and get 1 or 2.

fubuki81;n10151432 said:
Oh well, CDP just ask youtubers ( some of them got plenty of benefits so they support CDP) to support changes and to tell players bugs are nothing important......

As for this quote; please don't continue spreading this kind of assumption. It's been said in reddit too many times to count with absolutely no evidence to back it up. Yes, streamers and youtubers are supported by CDPR, but these exact same people are equally vocal about what they do and don't like about each patch. None of them are afraid of speaking out against the game (in fact many have made videos about the pros and cons of this current patch), and just because their opinion doesn't align with yours doesn't mean they're paid shills that will lie to support CDPR. Streamers aren't paid masses of money from CDPR, they are paid by the people who watch their streams, they're actually more likely to keep their fans happy than CDPR happy.

Top Bottom