Cyberpsychosis

+
Resurrecting a basically dead thread, I had a thought (yeah I know ... dangerous things to have).

Humanity is basically defined as your ability to relate to your fellow human beings, i.e. empathy.
Cyberpsychosis is a loss of that empathy to the point human interactions irritate you to the point of rage.

Psychopathy is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and dis-inhibited or bold behavior.
So would a true psychopath be susceptible to cyberpsychosis?

I think even with a little bit of Cybernetics in them, they would be susceptible to it.

I always wondered tho......how has Adam Jensen not become a cyberpsycho even though most of his body is augmented.:lol:

In a game the point of no return could mean a forced personality execution. You are taken in by the psycho squad and your personality is erased - a form of execution. Your augments are removed to the point where you are no longer a danger to the public. and a new basic personality is introduced in your mind. This is equivalent to resetting your PC and starting again in game terms. Indeed a harsh penalty for a player who has spent ingame time developing the character but has "gone too far". I am not a medical professional but it seems the game affliction of cyberpsychosis takes only one or a few of the strands that make up the thick cable of threads making up some kinds of real-life personality disorders. So would a true psychopath be susceptible? Yes, I would say so. After all, cyberpsychosis is a fictional affliction and its up to the fantasist whom it affects and not. A psychopath with cyberpsychosis sounds like an NPC to me, not a PC anymore. :) When the PC attains a state where the game government intervenes the PC becomes an NPC.

In game system if you are very lucky, you may suffer just minor humanity losses. We could say that some people are more "receptive" to implants.

I don't know If I'm forgetting something that has been said a million times (remember, I've never played the original PnP)... but, how does it work? I mean, they strip you of your cybernetics and give you therapy but... what do they put in place for these cybernetics? Organic parts? Less invasive ones? Or you have the chance of becoming a mentally healthy player character with no limbs or... well, a mentally healthy brain in a jar? Would this last thing be impossible, like people who go the FBC route and become cyberpsychos also turn into hopeless cases that have to be put down?

Rather depends on your GM.
Less invasive parts are certainly an option as is replacement with meat, or a combination of the two.
Then again we are talking about the Psychosquad here, the easiest (and cheapest) solution for someone who's basically a full borg is a bullet.

Within game terms, I'd just think of a psychopath as already having a low EMP score.

So, yeah; I think they'd be susceptible, by virtue of being closer to the edge. Ol' Bill better not get that Fashionware, lest he starts reeling down baskets of lotion to his victims.

Last edited:
Top Bottom