Cyberpsychosis

+
<Looks down.>

I KNEW IT WAS YOU. GODDDAMNNMMNANNRAGGHGHGH

She who knows to run away lives to flee another day.

Last edited:
The easiest way would be to just fuck with your (and your character) mind.
Like walking around and seeing a bunch of enemies shooting at you, you kill them and then.... damn they were unarmed citizen.
After all a cyberpsycho just turn into a psychopath who hates human being, it could be a way to "force the player's hand" to do it, without taking the control away from him.
Like, in the trailer, we saw a girl who made a rampage, maybe she saw a bunch of rapist after her.

You're forced to "take away the toy from your player" in the pnp if your follow the rules, but here it could be more "interactive", you'd "be" the cyberpsycho, loosing control.

That's how I play it when I run CP2020, usualy your players quickly understand the cyberpsychosis mecanics, trying to deal with their humanity, just like if it was some statistic or whatever... I think that crazy people just don't know they are crazy, otherwise they'd seek help at first, instead of being monsters (because, they just act like if it's "normal" for them)

So I did just like in Call of Cthulhu with their mental health.
I hide their humanity level from them.
Then, I take a sweet pleasure to screw everythings up, giving false advice to the cyberpsycho, like he says something "I try to help the poor old lady", I'll be "Ok, you shoot at the punk and try to guts the old lady, roll your dice".

The game should really "play" with your nerves, you're all crazy, you don't really know what's real from what isn't.
At least, this is how I'd make it if I had to make my players "be" the cyberpsycho.

If you stick to the rules, once you're a psycho, you can't play anymore, you'll just look at your character doing a rampage and other nasty things, not very exciting.

I like this idea. But it should be more...gradual. At first, there are changes in the dialogues options and C&C system. Then something more like to the "Trevor rampage missions" in GTA V. Then, what you said. A lot of allucinations that try to mess up with you.
But all of this should even be related to the intelligence stat.
It's not easy, but way better than "the player just lose the control of his character".

---------- Updated at 12:15 AM ----------

I rather doubt anyone can predict when a cyberspychosis incident is going to happen or what will trigger it.
Think of it more like the reasons some people kill. Some idiot will kill someone over a pair of scuffed shoes.

Maybe...there could be an augmentation that allows you to check your mental health.

maybe there can be an augmentation to prevent from getting cyberpsychosis

Best way to not develop cyberpsychosis is to avoid being augmented. The idea of having an augmentation that would help prevent it is pretty self defeating. The idea of a 'mental health' mobitor is not terrible, in 2020 there is a monitor for life signs and such, I see no reason why a 'brainwave interpreter' couldnt work.

@chriswebb2020.736 @moonknightgog I mean mybe there is an optional high level augmentation later in the game that prevents from getting cyberpsychosis, like the runes in hearts of stone expansion, for item durability 100% or 100% quen or 100% poisoning invulnerability in viper armor,

I'm not talking about an "already included in the character from the beginning of the game" augmentation, ;) don't worry, I'm sure the cyberpsychosis will be present and will be an important gameplay mechanic/effect

@chriswebb2020.736 @moonknightgog I mean mybe there is an optional high level augmentation later in the game that prevents from getting cyberpsychosis, like the runes in hearts of stone expansion, for item durability 100% or 100% quen or 100% poisoning invulnerability in viper armor,

I'm not talking about an "already included in the character from the beginning of the game" augmentation, ;) don't worry, I'm sure the cyberpsychosis will be present and will be an important gameplay mechanic/effect

Oh, ok. I misunderstood, I was thinking to some kind of cheap explanation for the lack of cyberpsychosis. Like...nanomachines in MGS.
But wat you propose...I'm afraid it would destroy the balance of the gameplay. The psychosis is also a way to prevent the player to get all the augmentations and become a god.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood, I was thinking to some kind of cheap explanation for the lack of cyberpsychosis. Like...nanomachines in MGS.
But wat you propose...I'm afraid it would destroy the balance of the gameplay. The psychosis is also a way to prevent the player to get all the augmentations and become a god.

I played a game of Cyberpunk where such a thing happened. The DM was letting people do dumb stuff with their characters, the game got real boring afterwards with half the team running around as metal gods breaking everything by looking at it. Only me and 2 other guys kept our characters simple with simple augments.

maybe some augmentations are not compatible, like if you have armour, can't be super fast, or can see through walls, can't hear through walls, incompatibilites can als prvent to get all the augmentations and become a cybergod, but we are worring too much, cyberpsychosis will be in the game and play a major part

Yep, the whole reason cyberpsychosis exists in the first place is to make a player choose what augmentations are most valuable/useful to them. You can't get them all, and if you could game balance would go right out the window as mentioned above.
Now if you want to play a game where you're a god-like being, be my guest, but most of us prefer to have to pick and choose.

But the threat of going over the edge is meant to be there to cap how much cyber you can handle. It's a semi-hard limiter. If there is such an augmentation it should be a behaviour chip which should basically make you a pacifist who loves people and hates violence. An anit-punk.

---------- Updated at 09:04 AM ----------

I love you Redge.

Sard! Do some work and splice this mofo in will ya? Don't make me get [strike]Big[/strike] Dragon Bird to crack the whip!

But the threat of going over the edge is meant to be there to cap how much cyber you can handle. It's a semi-hard limiter. If there is such an augmentation it should be a behaviour chip which should basically make you a pacifist who loves people and hates violence. An anit-punk.

---------- Updated at 09:04 AM ----------

I love you Redge.

Sard! Do some work and splice this mofo in will ya? Don't make me get [strike]Big[/strike] Dragon Bird to crack the whip!

There actually is such a chip in the game, though it doesn't turn you into a pacifist. The Dragoon Full-Body Conversion has such a massive Humanity cost, that it requires a behavioral chip which inhibits the borg's emotions and free will to such a degree that it essentially turns the borg into an almost mindless automaton.

There actually is such a chip in the game, though it doesn't turn you into a pacifist. The Dragoon Full-Body Conversion has such a massive Humanity cost, that it requires a behavioral chip which inhibits the borg's emotions and free will to such a degree that it essentially turns the borg into an almost mindless automaton.

A combinations of behaviour/thought inhibitor programming built into the onboard processor and a bank of psychoactive drugs which leave the user thinking and acting like a robot, literal minded and without personality.

Yeah, fantastic addition that would be to your cyberware package...

I always played that as basically turning over your character to the GM for the duration of your time in the Dragoon FBC. It really isnt a long term option. It's like calling a labotomy a cure of ADHD.

A combinations of behaviour/thought inhibitor programming built into the onboard processor and a bank of psychoactive drugs which leave the user thinking and acting like a robot, literal minded and without personality.

Yeah, fantastic addition that would be to your cyberware package...

I always played that as basically turning over your character to the GM for the duration of your time in the Dragoon FBC. It really isnt a long term option. It's like calling a labotomy a cure of ADHD.
Pretty much. According to the book, it's a total nightmare for those who have to endure it too.

Resurrecting a basically dead thread, I had a thought (yeah I know ... dangerous things to have).

Humanity is basically defined as your ability to relate to your fellow human beings, i.e. empathy.
Cyberpsychosis is a loss of that empathy to the point human interactions irritate you to the point of rage.

Psychopathy is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and dis-inhibited or bold behavior.
So would a true psychopath be susceptible to cyberpsychosis?

Top Bottom