Cyberpunk 2020 Play by Post Databook- Title Subject to Change

+
well now, this is embarrassing. turns out that file i thought flash had fucked up... no, it was buggy because you have to extract zip files before they can run reliably. good news is the trippiest character generator I've ever heard of is BACK ONLINE! many times i thought about giving up, but i couldn't let my homeboy sard down :D

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gqpnhtlhs1ouv9/AACp65Jvatt9jOBMEuiN37pSa?dl=0
so download that whole bundle of files, then open lifepath_content.html with your browser

I may have some fun with this and the auto character generator at some point in the campaign.
Whip up a random character and play it.

well don't forget, if I'm reading sard's comments correctly this will at times be semi-self directed... meaning players can walk in NPC's to interact with. could come in handy for that as well

Wallace "The Fang" Emerson's Contacts:

Erin Bjornson, the Eurobank corporate

girlfriend (ex?) of Wallace's (now missing) uncle Derek, Erin came to know Wallace rather well during his time at his uncles. She is aware of the kind of work Wallace does, and is not afraid of helping him if it means that Wallace will one day find his uncle Derek.
Capable (15), known (1x), often available (1.5x), reliable (1x), Eurobank Executive. 22.5 points, 15+1D10 skill, rep 5, Luck+1D10 vs 8 availability, if capability fails they cannot help; if critically fails they deceive

Sarah Nelson, the NCPD secretary

A childhood friend of Wallace, one who feels more loyal to him than to the oafish officers that keep drowning her in paperwork.
Incapable (10), unknown (0.5x), sometimes available (1x), reliable (1x), Precinct Secretary. 5 points, 10+1D10 skill, rep 2, Luck+1D10 vs 12 availability, if capability fails they cannot help; if critically fails they deceive

Chris Avalon, the 'freelance' Netrunner

Another childhood friend of Wallace. Many an afternoon was spent together at the local brain-dance arcade during their teenage years.
Very Capable (25), unknown (0.5x), always available (2x), reliable (1x), Netrunner. 25 points, 20+1D10 skill, rep 2, Luck+1D10 vs 5 availability, if capability fails they cannot help; if critically fails they deceive

Jared Nettle, the back alley technician

A recent drinking buddy of Wallace's, and one who evidently used to know uncle Derek before he went missing.
Very Capable (25), unknown (0.5x), always available (2x), reliable (1x), Technician. 25 points, 20+1D10 skill, rep 2, Luck+1D10 vs 5 availability, if capability fails they cannot help; if critically fails they deceive

Jesse Ricardi, the Mafia smuggler

A man Wallace quickly befriended in his early days with the Mafia.
Capable (15), unknown (0.5x) sometimes available (1x), reliable (1x), Mafia smuggler. 7.5 points, 15+1D10 skill, rep 5, Luck+1D10 vs 1 availability, if capability fails they cannot help; if critically fails they deceive

Lucian DeRigotti, the Mafia hit-man
A man Wallace never got close to (probably for good reason), but was none the less introduced to by Wallace's (ex)Mafia mentor. The two form a somewhat symbiotic relationship of favor trading.
Capable (15), known (1x), sometimes available (1x), reliable (1x), Mafia hitman. 15 points, 15+1D10 skill, rep 5, Luck+1D10 vs 12 availability, if capability fails they cannot help; if critically fails they deceive

Last edited:
Okay. Ive been thinking and instead of that horrifying exotic idea, I was thinking a teenage Nomad out to party his way into an early grave. Is it okay if I get to speccing him until I return home where I left Otis's sheet?

Okay. Ive been thinking and instead of that horrifying exotic idea, I was thinking a teenage Nomad out to party his way into an early grave. Is it okay if I get to speccing him until I return home where I left Otis's sheet?

Just make sure he's not partying so hard and often the rest of the team doesn't have any reason to include him.

Just make sure he's not partying so hard and often the rest of the team doesn't have any reason to include him.

Edgerunning and other assorted crime/terrorism fit under "partying" for him. So dont worry.

Hes effectively a booster with mad combat sense skills and a budget.

Matter a' fact. I think Il make him a ganger instead of a nomad, since that is a viable archetype for a Nomad according to IU.

Last edited:
Couple questions came up.

1. We are using IU rules on skillpoints - your Stat Pool is your Skill Points.

2. Those Skill points can be distributed amongst both Career Skills and Pickup skills.

This looks like entirely too much work.

@Sardukhar Let's say I'd like to get involved but don't know shit about the CP ruleset. How hardcore/tryhard is this going to be?

And no, I didn't read the entire first post, just scrolled through it.

This looks like entirely too much work.

@Sardukhar Let's say I'd like to get involved but don't know shit about the CP ruleset. How hardcore/tryhard is this going to be?

And no, I didn't read the entire first post, just scrolled through it.

Of course you didn't. It -was- HUGE though.

Pretty easy to play! Mostly you just need a few lines describing your character. If/when you get into the nitty-gritty character aspects, someone here will help you build your character, which is also quite an easy process.

The play method is either Stat Pools based on the skills you'll get, or dice rolling..which consists mostly of rolling a single 1d10 and adding it to the aforementioned Stat Pool. It's designed to be slick and fast and that's what I'm aiming at.

The only real limitations, character-wise, you need to be aware of are not to go hog-wild on the Tech Powerz: No power armoured killers, no giant robots, no one who can fly or teleport or has laser swords.

So, yeah, a few lines describing your "high tech, low life" character is about it. You can find a list of the Roles here.

Then you interact with the plot and other players by posting your action/reactions in-character.

You can play as often or as little as you wish. Scenes are very "drop-in" since Night City is huge and trouble is everywhere.

Last edited:
So, yeah, a few lines describing your "high tech, low life" character is about it.

Look at the CP2077 trailer again. While cyber is everywhere Joe Average probably has little if any because of cost. In the real world there's a large middle class in most places, in Cyberpunk it's a much much smaller proportion of the population. There's RICH and there's poor and not a lot in between.

The "working man" lives on a subsistence income and just plain can't afford most "fashion" cyberware much less the combat related stuff, and ask yourself "Why" would they even have it in the first place? A neuralware processor and interface plug might be necessary for their job but a cybereye? As always the rich can do what they damn well please, but their focus is fashion not utility, so again not a lot of combat cyberware.

The military and police forces have a use and reason for the stuff, when a soldier gets an arm blown off it get's replaced by a cyberlimb, it's cost effective to the military, they retain the training and experience at the cost of the limb, and do they really care about the "humanity" of the grunts as long as they follow orders?

So while cyberware itself is common place enough to not raise an eyebrow "excessive" cyberware will get noticed if for no other reason then that amount of augmentation is uncommon. How often do you see someone in a wheelchair cruising down the street? Often enough it's not shocking, and you probably don't pay that much attention to them, but you do notice. And unless you go to the Special Olympics you rarely see more then one or two at a time.

While it's Sards game, Sards world, and he decides the "tone" good role-play means the players should consider the world their character lives in and how it's going to react to and with their character. Sure, everybody and their sister is armed, the world is a dangerous place. How many carry, or need an assault rifle? If they get into a life-or-death firefight coming home from work every other day how long do you think it will be before they lose one? Think more like the real US "Wild West", many people are armed and everyone has ready access to a weapon and knows how to use it. But that doesn't mean firefights in the streets are a day-to-day occurrence. They can't be else the streets would soon be empty.

Let's look at weapons and armor.
If everybody and their brother is wearing an armor jacket rendering most handguns and SMGs ineffective who's buying them and why? The average weapon people carry must be effective in the vast majority of situations where they'd use it or there is no reason, NO REASON, to carry it.

**Puts her soapbox away**

Last edited:
Yeah, I see this is mostly aimed at Sard, but I don't actually plan to have lots of cyberware for my character.

Anyway, role-playing with no knowledge in the lore is gonna be fun, I bet.

Is it okay if I use the guide to the combat zone from Datafortress for my Nomad? As I am planning on him being affiliated with the Stomp Street gang.

http://datafortress2020.com/nightcity/combatzone/stomp

Yeaaah..no. Not sure what the Zone is going to look like and I'd rather not commit too hard. So, you cna pick that gang if you like and if they are suitably "Zone" but I'm not committing to that book.

Also, WHY did Wisdom change up the payscales so much? Argh. Think I'll use the old tables.

Also, fire fights in the streets are a daily occurrence. There is a nightly Body Lottery. You can bet on it.

HOWEVER. That's in Free Fire Zones and of course in or near the ( rest of) the Combat Zone. Nightly firefights, i.e. full on firefights and not just angry rounds exchanged poorly, are waaay less common anywhere near the Corp Center or the University. Mostly.

It's worse than the Wild West, though. Much worse.

Sue makes a good point about the sustainability of such a society - by our standards, it's pretty bad. Oooon the other hand: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2015-1 So people do live in these places. Caracas in 2014 has 3.3 million people and nearly 4,000 homicides alone. Not counting the other violent crime. That's 10 murders every night, night after night. Multiples of attempted murder, assaults, rapes, etc.

Why is Night City so violent and people still live there? Well, 1) outside the city life is harder. Much harder. You're less likely to get shot at, but much more likely to die of dehydration or exposure. 2) people are inured to it. Trauma Team exists and will probably save you, you travel with your friends and if you can afford it, you get to a Beaverville, where it's much safer, and commute to work. 3) You couulllld be living in Detroit! Now, that place is really nuts!

Yeah, I see this is mostly aimed at Sard, but I don't actually plan to have lots of cyberware for my character.

Not in the slightest!

It's aimed at the players.

Think about the world your character is going to be in not just all the cool toys available. You "can" have almost anything, does it make sense to have it? If a players only concern is min-maxing their character by necessity the role-play aspects of a game suffer because the GM must create a setting that can challenge the characters. If the average skills of the average character in the game are 5 (mid range for the system) then "easy", "average" and even "difficult" skill checks are pretty much automatically successful, thus no challenge. So the GM is left with no choice but to make virtually everything in the game "very difficult". This leads to the entire game being "over the top" because it has to be to challenge the characters.

By the same tolken look at all the "mundane" skills the characters don't have. If most players don't bother with "Wardrobe & Style" Sard can't have many situations where it's relevant in the campaign because the players will be exasperated by needing skills they don't possess. And no one likes to be constantly thwarted.

Sue makes a good point about the sustainability of such a society - by our standards, it's pretty bad. Oooon the other hand: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2015-1 So people do live in these places. Caracas in 2014 has 3.3 million people and nearly 4,000 homicides alone. Not counting the other violent crime. That's 10 murders every night, night after night. Multiples of attempted murder, assaults, rapes, etc.
One should also keep in mind that comparatively things are pretty good right now, things have cooled after the disaster that was the late 90s early 2000s. During the collapse 100 million people died. In a country with a population of 300 million that is absolutely cataclysmic. Also compare that to WWII the most bloody conflict in human history which saw only 70 million deaths world wide.

Think about the world your character is going to be in not just all the cool toys available. You "can" have almost anything, does it make sense to have it? If a players only concern is min-maxing their character by necessity the role-play aspects of a game suffer because the GM must create a setting that can challenge the characters. If the average skills of the average character in the game are 5 (mid range for the system) then "easy", "average" and even "difficult" skill checks are pretty much automatically successful, thus no challenge. So the GM is left with no choice but to make virtually everything in the game "very difficult". This leads to the entire game being "over the top" because it has to be to challenge the characters.

You're looking at it all wrong man! You gotta see this as a business opportunity! When all those gangs find out he slept with their sisters (at the same time!) surely they would be more than happy to turn over his corpse to you for a negligible finders fee. After that you are left with all kinds of valuable lightly used Cyber goodies to resell!

Well, then the first crop all die in some mass boostergang shootout and the next ones are more careful?

Always been my philosophy

Top Bottom