Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Wait so you're replacing Ram that likely is perfectly fine because a game is dogshit optimized? The hell with that unless these awful developers are paying for the Ram.
It would either crash straight to desktop on launch or crash at the point I loaded into the game, also managed to get an hour playtime once so it was very intermittent. The frequency and location of the crashing actually changed slightly with different Nvidia drivers.
Using event viewer in Windows would show the Nvidia driver had stopped responding and recovered or say the driver was missing completely. Now fully up-to-date windows and drivers and 0 crashes.
I'm guessing that how the driver info was passed to ram changed slightly with the latest drivers. Causing the crashes to be worse.

All these crashes and bugs just seem to bottle down to a few different errors.

• DX12 Error - There is thousands of apperant fixes but its hit or miss which one will work
  • AVX Error - There is a community fix for this on nexus works 80% of the time.
  • Watchdog timeout errors - No known fix for these and I'm stuck in this pool so testing fixes best I can.
This launch hasn't been the best for them this is my first cdpr game and to be fair atleast they aplogised about it but still not an excuse for what has been released.

I was crashing in the loading screen after character creation, this is my gig:

W10 last update
rx 5700xt
some ryzen 5 that I don't remember
16gb of ram

what worked for me was to use MSI afterburn to underclock my gpu about 10% as some said on this topic already, worked like a charm while nothing else worked.

Wait so you're replacing Ram that likely is perfectly fine because a game is dogshit optimized? The hell with that unless these awful developers are paying for the Ram.
I have 8 sticks of the same ram across 2 PC's all other sticks do not cause the crash, (tested one at a time in the same machine) there is something dodgy about the one stick. This game has highlighted the pre existing issue. Should have been more clear. I have been having crashes for months intermittently in similarly demanding titles. But watch dogs legion and other titles currently installed are not crashing with the stick in question.
All it takes is for a single file you need to be sent to one bad sector and it screws up the whole system. I'm sure other games possibly handle these instances by retrying on another sector but it doesn't change the fact the ram is bad.

Last edited:
iCUE causes cyberpunk to crash!

Disabling this program solved most of the crashes for me!

iCUE is the program to control rgb etc. for corsair keyboards.

iCUE causes cyberpunk to crash!

Disabling this program solved most of the crashes for me!

iCUE is the program to control rgb etc. for corsair keyboards.

Didn't work for me :(
Closed iCUE, launched game, took 1 step forward and crashed instantly
GPU crash for unknown reasons

did you try to underclock your GPU? Mine crashed everytime in loading screen and underclocking 10% of the GPU on MSI afterburn solved for me

So here is my story and cash point.

My setup is pretty primitive compared to many here:

Core i7 930 CPU,
AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB video card,
8GB ram,
Windows 7.

Before starting I updated all drivers for both.
I also downloaded an AVX fix for my old-timer cpu.
And managed to start the game in clean boot.

I should say the game looks and runs well at the lowest settings.
For 60 - 90min.
Then, the PC and the screen first freeze and then crash.

Along the way I realised that CP2077 doesn't play at all with AMD Radeon Software. The software doesn't recognise it as a game. If I add the game, and try to run it, both CP2077 and Radeon Software crash even before starting. Thus, my video card cannot tweak itself according to the game's needs.

So I started setting game settings on AMD Radeon Software as my global settings, and manually raised the fan performance before playing. So there are no over-heating issues. (Likewise my CPU heat is within limits).

I pick my PC up, restart the game. The same issue in 60 - 90 minutes.

So, here is another puzle to solve.

Edit: PS: I did not install P1.04.

Last edited:
I have this problem:

Error Reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x28.
File: <Unknown>
Line: 0

It's now doing the Verify/Repair, but keeps staying at the looking at installed files and 0.0MB/0.0MB

I have tried everything, anyone an idea?

I can't even get the game started because of graphics driver issue even after troubleshooting.
Just gonna help make this thread a mile long.

Happy to see they released a statement mainly addressing console issues...
Have you checked your ram ? Take all out and try to launch the game 1 stick at a time.

Does your event viewer complain about a driver not responding then recovering?
Post automatically merged:

What type of crashes were you having before you fixed your RAM?

were you able to load the game at all, get past the character creation?
Only once in about a thousand attempts. At first couldn't launch game, messing with drivers moved the crash after character creation during loading. Removing the unstable ram has completely solved the issue for me.

Have you checked your ram ? Take all out and try to launch the game 1 stick at a time.

I'm happy this worked for you and I know you're just trying to help, but it's absolutely insane that this is something anyone should have to do to get a brand new game to run. Not blaming you at all; this rant is not directed at you!! This is just way outside reasonable troubleshooting.

Someone said it before - my PC is normally very stable, good hardware, minimum to no problems. Things like driver updates, a reboot, verifying - these are normal things.

Wiping Windows, pulling hardware, hex editing the exe - that's ridiculous. This is worse than Fallout 76 or PUBG. I'm not going to sit here and risk the integrity of my PC for this game.

I've wasted days now sitting here trying to get this game to run with literally zero progress, and it seems like getting it to launch is just the tip of the iceberg. What do I have to look forward to? 27fps? Crappy police AI? In-game crashing? Bugs and glitches everywhere I look?

If there's no sign of this game being stable in the next week or two then I'm refunding and waiting for them to get it together. It's disappointing that this is acceptable in gaming these days, but it's way less stressful that way.

Yeah, it doesn't solve the gpu crashes. I still get those from time to time. But i can now have the character menu open for more than 30s without the game crashing!

did you try to underclock your GPU? Mine crashed everytime in loading screen and underclocking 10% of the GPU on MSI afterburn solved for me
I'm going to try. I'm not super comfortable playing around with this tho.
I have a 3080 AORUS Xtreme which is factory overclocked quite a bit I believe

Ok underclocked by about 100 mhz.. and I been playing 30 mins now without crash. Wow

I got all the way until I encountered Royce. I had one crash before that, and then it crashed on game start up, but restarting the PC did the trick. Now everytime I enter the room with Royce the part where
you can either sneak past him, or fight him
, my game crashes. Anyone else getting stuck here?

Hey dawg I just fixed this, by updating my GPU drivers! Skated that fight.

Top Bottom