Darker nights

+
In Oxenfurt, Geralt has a strange box of light around him.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the world of the witcher is a lot smaller than the Earth. A smaller circumference could justify this big changes of the sunrise over so small distances.

You are wrong. White Orchard is at the same latitude as Vizima, but nights there are as bright as in Novigrad.

I think the brighter nights have to do with the lore than anything. Geralt's eyes can see in the dark as well as any cat. He c an see clearly under moonlight. He just needs a cat potion in complete darkness. So it makes sense for nights to be bright, because we're playing from his perspective. Having said that, I still prefer nights to be a bit darker, perhaps as dark as TW 1. It makes for better atmosphere

Last edited:
I find it more difficult to see in Novigrad on a rainy day at noon than in the countryside at 1am.

That's what the night should be like. Note that all people sleep in houses, and do not rustle about the streets at three o'clock in the morning.

CowboyBebops;n9464921 said:
I was hoping the nights would be darker as well.

Actually, while this is normally a beef I have with many games, I feel it makes sense in TW3. Geralt is supposed to be able to see at midnight what most people can see at noon. Drinking a cat potion basically allows him to see clearly in complete darkness with no ambient light.

Still, I get what you mean about the aesthetic impact of nights, in general. (Dragon's Dogma does proper nights! That's what "night" is!)

I recently came across Wiedzmin Lighting Mod that's actually updated and in my opinion is the best lighting mod that I have tried. At the moment it's currently on version 7.6 and the mod author stated hopefully today or tomorrow that version 8.0 will be released and it should address some of the issues with the nights just being unrealistically bright. I hope that this will be the answer, looking forward to giving it a shot.

Dragon's Dogma's nights are incredibly immersive, I completely agree. I love the uncertainty from not being able to see what may be in front of me, great example.

Some of the new changes coming with 8.0 regarding nights.

- In all regions nights are now much more ominous with tone
- Foliage will be much darker in nights
- Tweaked Novigrad sunrise and sundown to look much more natural, also sun exposure is fixed
- Tweaked sunrise and sunset in Velen to have more brown ominous feel
- Tweaked Novigrad night moon light intensity, roads are much natural now
- Tweaked sunset in Swamp also to have much more ominous feal

Top Bottom