Darker nights

+
You mean the screenshot with everything giving off a long shadow because the sun is still up?

Have we seen a screenshot outside at night yet? I don't think so? Mmm... maybe the one near the docks with the boats. Someone'll dig it up.

That's not even night...

And this one has fire but well, other than that looks pretty dark to me

The (night/dungeon) lighting in (recent) RPG games has been dreadful for the most part.The games that have done it right IMO are Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls while games like Skyrim did it very wrong (torches are practically useless if you don't use mods).Games like TW 2 are in the middle ground in my book but I feel CDPR will most certanly deliver the frightening darkness TW 3 deserves when I look at the screenshot above.

This is something that's been on my mind too, only in crypts and caves did Geralt have to use the cat potion, but when it's dark outside that's fine, he doesn't need it there... So yeah, it'd be cool if the nights were actually dark, at least in the areas where there is no light source of any kind, like moonlight or torches for example. Final summation, dark places should be dark.

@Blothulfur
I think what everyone wants is to have a reason to use Geralt's ability to see in the dark.Like I said in my previous post games like Skyrim provide a number of spells and items that help you see better in the dark but there's never a reason to use them because the world isn't dark enough in the first place.TW 3 is made by people that value immersion above all else so the game should be able to provide a beliveable night enviroment to hunt/be hunted by monsters (which is a thing none of us would be able to say no to).

Last edited:
The stars at night in red/dead look best. I thought the moon looked boring though, but the mood and lighting is the best to date.

@fracturedearth
I'm going to disagree with you on that.While the stars and moon themselves looked ok in Red Dead the night light itself was pretty awful.I mean,you had nights where you couldn't even see the moon in the sky but the desert would be lit more then the city of Los Angeles.

@Blothulfur
I think what everyone wants is to have a reason to use Geralt's ability to see in the dark.Like I said in my previous post games like Skyrim provide a number of spells and items that help you see better in the dark but there's never a reason to use them because the world isn't dark enough in the first place.TW 3 is made by people that value immersion above all else so the game should be able to provide a beliveable night enviroment to hunt/be hunted by monsters (which is a thing none of us would be able to say no to).

You mean change his eyes, well I suppose if there's a way of doing it in the storyline, false one like Garret or an ability like Nameless to rip out his own and replace it, but as far as we know he's stuck with his mutant peepers. Lucky beggar.

You mean change his eyes, well I suppose if there's a way of doing it in the storyline, false one like Garret or an ability like Nameless to rip out his own and replace it, but as far as we know he's stuck with his mutant peepers. Lucky beggar.
I really don't follow what you're saying.In the games Geralt can't use his Cat "peepers" fully in the dark without drinking a mutagen so they don't have to change a thing.

Cat potion enhances his allready mutated peepers for dungeons and stuff like Vergen mines, he allready sees in the normal dark doesn't he, or did I misunderstand this?

In the recent book, Season of Storms, it's confirmed that Geralt can see quite well during the night due to his eyes. He cannot see in pitch black darkness where there is no light whatsoever, but a night still often has moon and star light and that is enough for his mutated pupils.

In the recent book, Season of Storms, it's confirmed that Geralt can see quite well during the night due to his eyes. He cannot see in pitch black darkness where there is no light whatsoever, but a night still often has moon and star light and that is enough for his mutated pupils.

Yep, makes sense, since the scene I've linked to takes place during a stormy night, so clouds blocking out the starts/moon etc.

Again, this problem was better dealt with in W1. In the crypts it was pitch dark - impossible to see anything,you had to use Cat in order to see something.
I don't like lighting in W2 at all, it's unnatural and over-saturated with red color.

Logic is simple.
When the night is bright, moon is seen, stars are shining - Gerlat can see, he doesn't need Cat or torches.
When the night sky is cloudy but there are other artificial sources of light - he still doesn't need Cat or torches.
When there is NO light source of any kind he must use Cat, but Cat must be W1 Cat, not De Vries potion.

@fracturedearth
I'm going to disagree with you on that.While the stars and moon themselves looked ok in Red Dead the night light itself was pretty awful.I mean,you had nights where you couldn't even see the moon in the sky but the desert would be lit more then the city of Los Angeles.

CDPR will do it justice. I'm not worried about it really ;)

I don't really see the big deal, Nighttime was fine in TW2.

It was probably slightly too bright, Nighttime pretty much felt like it was always a full Moon & it was in the middle of the sky for the whole "Nighttime" period. However it always felt sufficiently dark, it still felt like Nighttime. Whether by design choice or engine restrictions, Witcher 1 felt more realistic simply because of the LACK of colours/lighting. Which is a good thing & I do think it was done slightly better in TW1, but it's not one of those elements that is really threatening the immersion or anything.
As long as it is still dark enough to feel like Nighttime & Mines/Crypts/Caves that are meant to be pitch black are pitch black, I'm happy. Witcher 1 & 2 fulfill both these categories sufficiently.

By looking at the screenshot I'd assume that the nights are darker, you don't want it to be pitch black all around since Garshasp has witcher vision, it just wouldnt make sense. Dungeons and crypts and blahblah are entirely different and I hope theres going to be enough instances of these areas to make vision enhancing potions worthwhile.

By looking at the screenshot I'd assume that the nights are darker, you don't want it to be pitch black all around since Garshasp has witcher vision, it just wouldnt make sense. Dungeons and crypts and blahblah are entirely different and I hope theres going to be enough instances of these areas to make vision enhancing potions worthwhile.
Basically what he said. I think CDPR will do a great job and the darkness of the witcher world will be preserved.

Top Bottom