De Vries Extract

+
De Vries Extract

Is there a point to this potion...?I mean the effect for it is really cool. But I haven't found it useful... either for combat or some sort of side thing.
The only times it's mentioned is in Berengar's notes on the Beast in the Outskirts... and once more when Triss sends you the formula, warning that Sources, like Alvin, sometimes draw spectrals or something like that... but I found no use for the potion around Alvin either.

Is that the one that shows hidden enemies?Might be useful for the Kikimore in the Trade District or Giant Centipedes - dunno, never used it, but it might help show these burrowing pests.

It's journal entry suggests seeing through walls. This could be handy in dungeons and buildings.But no test from me either yet.

I couldn't find any use. I tried using it as a replacement for "Cat" but it distorts things too much, very much like looking through an infrared camera.

I found the potion useful late at night in the swamps when multiple enemies are popping out of the water and its dark and difficult to spot them. Also it looks pretty cool. Not sure about the see invisible part of it, I don't know off hand if there are any invisible creatures in the game.

Candi said:
It's journal entry suggests seeing through walls. This could be handy in dungeons and buildings.But no test from me either yet.
Would that be any better than holding down the Alt key while walking?

DVrisExtrct4sale said:
Would that be any better than holding down the Alt key while walking?
I don't think it would be. I personally use the function in the settings to see object names all the time. When I got the De Vries first I thought there would be some invisible foes or NPC's in the cemetery in Temple Quarter and maybe there was a quest/side quest involving some invisible characters but later I was disappointed. Once I used it in the Raven's Crypt because I forgot to make a Cat and I got my ass handed to me by a fleder horde. It didn't help me to see at all, I panicked when I saw they surrounded me and got slaughtered xD

I, too, sort of found this potion disappointing, since I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting for a situation in which I would encounter hidden or invisible creatures and therefore have to use it.Never happened, oh well.Maybe next playthrough I'll experiment a little with it and see if it becomes like some sort of mind-expansion drug, like... Woah, I can see through walls! You're right there! I can see! I mean: actually see! It's all so clear to me now!Something along those lines.Another potion that I hadn't quite come to completely figure out, even by game's end, was Golden Oriole.I mean: at first I thought this potion was supposed to make you resistant to the toxicity of the other potions you drank. (I mean: isn't that what the description said, after all?) I figured it would be really, really useful in that regard, so I brewed a few... but... turns out the potion doesn't work that way.In fact: when using it, it didn't seem to do much of anything.As for items, non-potions, that I never found a use for (not that anybody's brought it up yet) :(major spoilers: only for those who've finished the game) :
* That book that Thaler gave me. I kept holding onto it, hoping it would come in handy at some point. (Well, no one would buy it, either, but the point is: I sacrificed a slot in my inventory for that book ever since I received it. I carried it around with me everywhere. Thankfully the ink was indelible, so the swampwaters didn't affect it and turn it into a blurry mess, or anything.)* Those stupid scoia'tael 'squirrel-tail' things, those crudely suggestive puff-rags. The description said "quest item" (or something similar to that), so I held onto them, just in case, even though the game did not put them into the Quest Item bag. Never found any use for them. Maybe there's a use for them if you play the game on the Order's side? It seems to make sense to me that, just like Leuvaarden's purchasing of Salamandra badges to prove Salamandra deaths: the Order probably pays for 'squirrel tails' to prove the deaths of elves. Well... as for me, I held on to them anyhow, even though I was pro-Scoia'tael, and I mourned my possession of every single one of those tails. Screw co-op existence!* Anything valuable. Ladies' garments, rings, gemstones. Apparently, aside from the druids, they had only two purposes: 1. to get certain women to share with you some [usually useless] gossip (or, in one waitress' case, an alchemy recipe you already know (although that recipe might've been useful a little earlier in the game)), and 2. to get some woman to play the [always useless, though occasionally amusing] grind game with you. Next playthrough I guess I can feel pretty assured to sell all of these oh-so-valuable things (Geralt's done them, curiosity is satisfied). ...Well, maybe Alina's sister Celina deserves a ride, I felt bad for her until she turned murderess... and maybe then hold a few for the last chapter, for the druids... but still, even there: 1. their potion-rewards aren't even very good, and 2. they won't sell to you after you give them something. Seems pretty ironic to me. Pretty contradictory. All they say to me is "Good night!" I mean: I give them something they're looking really eagerly for, and they repay me with a couple of lame Thunderbolt potions and a boycott! How's that for gratitude?* Among those valuables, in particular: the silver signet ring. It was secreted away in a chest upstairs in the New Narakort -- remember, the point where that nosy, spying merchant who probably has ties to Salamandra or something confronts you for poking about through other people's stuff (honestly, people should be confronting Geralt more often about this sort of behavior, I mean, it's just not right) -- I held onto it because I figured it might prove valuable. I always kept it on my finger, but never got any prompting to show it to anyone, oh well.* Several rare or unique alchemical items which were easily replaceable by other items I had in bulk... but maybe in a second playthrough I'll found out there's a use for them.* I can probably think of two or three more, but I'll stop.
But, you know, I'm not complaining. I mean, really: every game needs some red herrings here and there, some useless objects that seem useful... a few charismatic doors that end up dying on you... some passageways that lead nowhere... and so on and so forth.

Evnissyen said:
...Another potion that I hadn't quite come to completely figure out, even by game's end, was Golden Oriole.
Golden Oriole removes any buffs caused by any potion and the reduces toxicity to zero as well. It's useful when you think another or more than one potion would be useful in a situation when you have high toxicity. I used it a couple of times.
Evnissyen said:
* That book that Thaler gave me. I kept holding onto it, hoping it would come in handy at some point. (Well, no one would buy it, either, but the point is: I sacrificed a slot in my inventory for that book ever since I received it. I carried it around with me everywhere. Thankfully the ink was indelible, so the swampwaters didn't affect it and turn it into a blurry mess, or anything.)* Those stupid scoia'tael 'squirrel-tail' things, those crudely suggestive puff-rags. The description said "quest item" (or something similar to that), so I held onto them, just in case, even though the game did not put them into the Quest Item bag. Never found any use for them. Maybe there's a use for them if you play the game on the Order's side? It seems to make sense to me that, just like Leuvaarden's purchasing of Salamandra badges to prove Salamandra deaths: the Order probably pays for 'squirrel tails' to prove the deaths of elves. Well... as for me, I held on to them anyhow, even though I was pro-Scoia'tael, and I mourned my possession of every single one of those tails. Screw co-op existence!* Anything valuable. Ladies' garments, rings, gemstones. Apparently, aside from the druids, they had only two purposes: 1. to get certain women to share with you some [usually useless] gossip (or, in one waitress' case, an alchemy recipe you already know (although that recipe might've been useful a little earlier in the game)), and 2. to get some woman to play the [always useless, though occasionally amusing] grind game with you. Next playthrough I guess I can feel pretty assured to sell all of these oh-so-valuable things (Geralt's done them, curiosity is satisfied). ...Well, maybe Alina's sister Celina deserves a ride, I felt bad for her until she turned murderess... and maybe then hold a few for the last chapter, for the druids... but still, even there: 1. their potion-rewards aren't even very good, and 2. they won't sell to you after you give them something. Seems pretty ironic to me. Pretty contradictory. All they say to me is "Good night!" I mean: I give them something they're looking really eagerly for, and they repay me with a couple of lame Thunderbolt potions and a boycott! How's that for gratitude?* Among those valuables, in particular: the silver signet ring. It was secreted away in a chest upstairs in the New Narakort -- remember, the point where that nosy, spying merchant who probably has ties to Salamandra or something confronts you for poking about through other people's stuff (honestly, people should be confronting Geralt more often about this sort of behavior, I mean, it's just not right) -- I held onto it because I figured it might prove valuable. I always kept it on my finger, but never got any prompting to show it to anyone, oh well.* Several rare or unique alchemical items which were easily replaceable by other items I had in bulk... but maybe in a second playthrough I'll found out there's a use for them.* I can probably think of two or three more, but I'll stop.
But, you know, I'm not complaining. I mean, really: every game needs some red herrings here and there, some useless objects that seem useful... a few charismatic doors that end up dying on you... some passageways that lead nowhere... and so on and so forth.
Yes, I agree that every quest item should go into the Quest Item section and it would be better if that section be cleared at the end of each chapter at least or they should've made so that a player can clear there.
I carried the mentioned book a long while then I dropped it somewhere. Thaler's lines were deceptive making you think that book will have a use later. Interesting. Did you follow the neutral path? If you chose to support Scoiatel why did you kill elves anyway? By the way if you choose Order's side they have a use, not the one you expect though.
It's useful that most of the journal entries can be acquired by several ways so that one has a higher chance to get them. Don't forget that not everyone might be as careful explorer as you are.
You need to get out of the cave and enter again to talk with the druids again or meditate for 24 hours IIRC.
That scene in New Narakort where Geralt's busted, the merchant's reaction made my day :D At first I expected that people would react if I robbed them but nothing happened. Anyway I didn't hold on to it since the tooltip was telling nothing more than a simple silver ring.
Those unique alchmey items make good money when some stacked.

e-ahmet said:
e-ahmet said:
...Another potion that I hadn't quite come to completely figure out, even by game's end, was Golden Oriole.
Golden Oriole removes any buffs caused by any potion and the reduces toxicity to zero as well. It's useful when you think another or more than one potion would be useful in a situation when you have high toxicity. I used it a couple of times.
Um, E-Ahmet, actually the removes-toxicity potion is White Honey. Golden Oriole increases Geralt's resistance to poison. The game sometimes calls poison "toxin," so it's easy to get confused, but White Honey removes toxicity (and buffs) caused by potions, and Golden Oriole increases Geralt's resistance to the bite of venomous creatures.
e-ahmet said:
That book that Thaler gave me. I kept holding onto it, hoping it would come in handy at some point. (Well, no one would buy it, either, but the point is: I sacrificed a slot in my inventory for that book ever since I received it. I carried it around with me everywhere. Thankfully the ink was indelible, so the swampwaters didn't affect it and turn it into a blurry mess, or anything.)
There IS a use for that book. It's kind of obscure, though.
Talk to the bootblack that hangs around near the entrance to Raymond's house. If you give him the book, he gives you something in exchange.
As for the squirrel tails, I've never done this, because I've never played the Order path, but I'm told that
White Rayla makes a bet with Geralt in Chapter 5 that she can get more squirrel tails than he can. Given his dislike of killing humans, it seems out of character to me for Geralt to accept this bet, but he does.

Top Bottom