December 2018 Update Overview

+
Why nerf Filavandrel when no one used him?

uBok4Ha.jpg

Yeah, let's nerf the only few good cards NR has.

Sabrina is now arguably worse than Lacerate (the only saving grace for Sabrina is that you can spawn Kaedweni Revenant by killing her).
NR has a lot of other great cards, but they were hardly played because of the removal Meta. Now that removal has been nerfed half of NR has been indirectly buffed.

And as Sabrina costs now a point less than lacerate, it makes sense that she is worse than it. And in the correct situations she can be even better as you mentioned.

NR has a lot of other great cards, but they were hardly played because of the removal Meta. Now that removal has been nerfed half of NR has been indirectly buffed.

And as Sabrina costs now a point less than lacerate, it makes sense that she is worse than it. And in the correct situations she can be even better as you mentioned.

I guess I'll play Harald or Crach with ragnarog, greatswords, ships, captains and whatnot just to show people like you how removal has been nerfed. I can even netdeck something and replace only savage bear with wolf pack.

Still can't get access to my profile page.
Since October 23, 2018 Gwent is officially out of beta. Two official patches and probably several in-the-meantime server side updates & fixes didn't fix this issue. Over € 200 spent on the game and I can't play it.
I have never had any problems with Gwent in close and open beta.
This is f*ing ridiculous.

rrc

Forum veteran
Most of the changes look good and the change list shows the full power of the recruit cost system.
My only worry is the Bearmaster deck, because it was left mainly unchanged, while its counter has been nerfed really hard.
SK has always been (at least in my opinion which Bruza denied) CDPR's most favorite faction. Anytime there is a balancing update, SK gets the least nerfs. Discard hasn't been touched and every single time many of the SK decks thin to 0. While denying tutors for every other faction (very very rightfully so), allowing SK to thin like crazy with soooo many discard cards never made any sense to me. Archetype or not, there shouldn't be so many cards which can discard 2+ cards with relatively cheap provision cost.
Open beta Igni requirements really? Hmm...:unsure:
IIRC, open beta requirement was 25 points on a row. With only 2 rows, 15 was very very easily achievable and this is a welcome change.
The nerf to Rivian Pikemen goes beyond my comprehension lol
All cards which were capable of doing easy 7 points swing has been nerfed/changed. NG's DA, SC's Dolbolthana Bombers, and NG's Pikeman. This is a welcome change. All these cards had a nearly guaranteed potential to got +2 points than their provision cost and at least their provision cost.
Post automatically merged:

How exactly is removal nerfed? All the SC cards still do the same amount of removal with a lesser point body. I would have preferred to keep their power the same while reducing their damage.

You went ham with the DD nerf damn. Was it really that problematic? Since it can get removed by weather clear?
It needs 4 units (instead of 3) to hit to be worth using, 5 if you include Nivellen into the mix.

I feel that big Monsters are going to be very strong now and Beast Skellige might go uncontested (I guess Scorch effects counter it and Yrden)

By the way what does Heimdall do now? I can't find the card in the notes unless it's not even there.

A lack of Artifact and Reveal changes for my taste but the other changes seem reasonable other than some random ass nerfs

IIRC, open beta requirement was 25 points on a row. With only 2 rows, 15 was very very easily achievable and this is a welcome change.

At the beginning of the OBT it used to be 20, I think. Then they nerfed Gigni to require 25+ points.

And in the CBT it didn't have that restriction at all (that's why it was an autoinclude in the CBT).

It seems there is no full mill value for cards that have only their recruit cost changed. Why is that? Recruit cost impacts a card's attractiveness and usefulness just as power or ability changes. It would make sense that these cards can be milled for full value as well.

Edit: I see now that full mill is only possible for cards that got nerfed (higher recruitment cost or weaker strength or abilities), so that makes perfect sense. Case closed.

Last edited:

Where has the remove meta been nerfed? Eithne? This will Change nothing. Most deploy units will still oneshot engine cards and this is the whole problem. Scorch epidemic pc increased? Again, people will build around it. The Line-Up Potential has been adressed a little, but unfortunately this wont Change the meta in the slightest way.

A really big Problem is that the devs seem to think that control = removal, and therefor dont want to delete an archetype by nerfing. But gwent has so much options for controlling beyond removing every friggin unit that sets a foot on the field. We have locks, movement, buffs and resets. We have row restricions. There is so much room for control without brainless burning every enemy unit, and the mentioned mechanics leave at least a chance to react for the engine deck when facing a control deck...

SK has always been (at least in my opinion which Bruza denied) CDPR's most favorite faction. Anytime there is a balancing update, SK gets the least nerfs. Discard hasn't been touched and every single time many of the SK decks thin to 0. While denying tutors for every other faction (very very rightfully so), allowing SK to thin like crazy with soooo many discard cards never made any sense to me. Archetype or not, there shouldn't be so many cards which can discard 2+ cards with relatively cheap provision cost.

All cards which were capable of doing easy 7 points swing has been nerfed/changed. NG's DA, SC's Dolbolthana Bombers, and NG's Pikeman. This is a welcome change. All these cards had a nearly guaranteed potential to got +2 points than their provision cost and at least their provision cost.
Post automatically merged:

How exactly is removal nerfed? All the SC cards still do the same amount of removal with a lesser point body. I would have preferred to keep their power the same while reducing their damage.

The thing with discard tho is that it is generally only a supporting mechanic now instead of a thing to build your whole deck around (like in beta). Discard alone can't win games.

The mechanics / archetypes you couple it with can tho.
With sacrificing card space and putting the discard cards in your deck you are increasing the consistency but decreasing the power of the deck.

Generally making the deck a more late game oriented one.

Let's say you have an enemy wounding deck that uses some discards to make it more consistent. If discard gets nerfed you will just remove the majority of the discard cards and put more powerful synergistic cards into the deck, essentially making the deck more powerful but if you don't draw the engines you are fucked.

The better approach here would be to actually nerf the wounding archetype than to nerf discard. If you nerf the only "real" win-con then discard also gets nerfed because it can't do anything on it's own.

Unless discard is so out of control that you can go to 0 cards with like 3 discard cards.
Right now you need 9 cards to get rid off to go to 0 cards.

Derran is 3, Birna is 2 and 2 from Skald that is 7
If you include Witchers you can go down to 0 but just look how much stuff you just used to go down to 0.

7/25 cards are already used, almost 30% of your deck has no actual win-condition on it's own but rather works off the win-condition of another archetype.

Not only that but you also need 9 cards you actually WANT to discard. Right now (apart from Beat Skellige) there are 2 Skirmishers, 1 Morkvarg and 1 Savage bear (I guess Phoenix too), now you need another 5 cards to get rid off, essentially making it so 11-16/25 cards are used without having an actual win-condition

Nerf the other archetype and you nerf discard too.

Last edited:
CDPR can you please make your changes visible in your freaking game for ex. wolfbane, I have been using it for a long time and given that GWENT IS NOT A TEXT BASED GAME IT'S STRONG POINT IS VISUAL REPRESENTATION, so it's really low quality to get into the game think your cards are the same and lose matches because of obscure changes. FFS I bought the physical card game by getting the freaking collectors edition for X-BONE although I have a PC just cuz you got fed money by Microsoft edited the card game and released it for a 10th of the price and also invalidated the 1st version I paid big money, then you release Gwent digitally so you milk the fan base more and you constantly change it radically gfx, card everything. You are slowly gonna lose me and a lot of fans because you skimp on quality.

Only two viable decks (at most) to play per faction, is this the case with all CCG games? How incredibly boring.

Then you have to take into account the weaker factions in general. their 1 or 2 best decks get crushed by the meta decks (usually NG or SK)….the ST decks that do well, Seem to be always be remove or control. The dorf point spam lasted a week...

Distinclty meh this update

Only two viable decks (at most) to play per faction, is this the case with all CCG games? How incredibly boring.

Not with all CCG games. There was this game called Gwent, it had 5 factions, and each faction had at least 3 decks capable of getting to one of the highest ranks in the game.

SK: Greatswords, Veterans, Axemen, Crach + Shupe + Iris' Companions
NG: Alchemy, Soldiers, Handbuff, Tempo Calveit (w/ Letho + Regis), Reveal w/ Villie/Yen
MS: Nekkers Consume, Swimlerith, Blood moon, Olgierd Consume
ST: Eithne Shupe, Eithne handbuff, Eithne control, Control Dorfs (packing thunders + Ithlinne and Triss)
NR: Foltest + Knight-elects, Henselt + machines, Foltest + Bluestripes

Cool game, I heard.

Bug with Sweers still in-game. So annoying.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Sweers' damage would not increase if he was put back in the deck during Redraw phase then played after units were Revealed.

Yeah I'm still going to play Eskel, Vesemir and Lambert, probably going to cut Roach now. Next patch the 3 witchers will be nerfed again by -1 point and make them literally unplayable. When is CDPR going to realise that they need to change their abilities entirely? They nerfed Wolfsbane to the ground now which wasn't even a problem to begin with, nobody is playing that now.

:ROFLMAO: how many 3 power cards are now? and what's gonna happen when the cards reach 1 power, how this problem would not even be a thing if silver cards were still a thing

Top Bottom