Decided to quit

+
Decided to quit

I tried really really hard to like this game after the midwinter updat, but i just can't. Everytime i log to do finish my daily quest, i leave with frustration. Strategy just doesnt work anymore. You either have to play point spam (The deck that plays always the same intro move : CA spy and then Brouver -> Barclay -> Cleaver or the francesca swap deck) Anything that contains engines, getting hard countered by the create bs.

Here is my daily attempt to finish my monster quest :

Game 1: (https://i.imgur.com/CJKxTkC.jpg) I play Ge'els into my silver lock (instead my gold card) so i can lock enemy's axeman. Enemy plays stone and creates an unlock card out of his a$$. A card that none ever used in his constructed deck, but instead exists only to be created by this retarted mechanic.

Game 2: (https://i.imgur.com/MVafPZe.jpg) I play my normal fog archetype. Enemy has no weather clears in his deck, because weather clear cards are low point useless cards. BUT, he plays doppler instead and he creates one of those useless weather clear cards....And as if this wasn't enough, the bronze weather clear card he created, he was able to ress again and again on other rounds to clear every weather i put on board...Game turned to his favor all because of that 1 create card..

Game 3: I play first. Enemy then instantly plays CA spy. I pass ofc cause i had 20+ points. Enemy plays Brouver -> Barclay-> Cleaver...

Game 4: Exactly same thing happend with game 3 (no it wasnt the same player)

Game 5: Exactly the same happened with 2 previous games. CA spy, brouver barclay cleaver..

Game 6: Francesca swap point spam deck. Point spam + hard counters with elven scouts...

That's it...i reached my limits...I get mad even now that im typing it. I loved so much the witcher universe and i wanted to like this game so much, but since midwinter update i can't have anymore fun in this game. I don't even have the mood to play 6 rounds for daily gold.

I can barely play anymore, went from 15 hours a day to next to nothing maybe 5 minutes a day half attempting my daily keg. Its just ridiculous so many bugs still linger and they're game breaking i might just have bad luck but i encounter a bug nearly every second match, today in arena mode twice in a row. two games in a row.

I'm sorry to hear that. Playing a game where the frustration is higher than the fun makes no sense. I was in your state when I left HS.
After the Midwinter patch my enthusiasm has also dropped significantly, but not to that point.

Call me a fool, but I still hope to have the "Create" mechanic reworked in someway or restricted to arena, where it belongs.
The loss of Lifecoach and the unhappiness among many players may encourage CDPR Red to reduce the RNG content in the game.
Thronebreaker is also a big reason why I still believe in Gwent.

Goodbye for now and best luck.

Yeah, my enthusiasm has diminished significantly. Didn't play a single game during all of the first season following the Mid-Winter patch, after hitting GM the season before. Played a little bit this past season, just trying to find any type of interesting and interactive non-'point vomit' deck that was viable. Didn't come up with much. With any CCG there will be occasional balance issues that slip through testing... but what's most troubling to me with Gwent is that it seems the development team is taking a serious deviation from what made me enjoy the game in the first place. From adding Create, to removing previously fantastic cards, to removing a ton of diverse archetypes, to promoting blind point vomit over engines and synergies, to badly designed hard counter cards (e.g. the new ambush and monster hate golds), to an arena mode with practically no skill involved... it strikes me as someone up top pressuring towards a more 'streamer friendly' environment (e.g. Hearthstone lite) at the cost of the skill intensive game Gwent used to be.

No Title

Oh, and to repeat myself...

Attachments

• photo199962.jpg
    photo199962.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 48
There's a reason everyone plays Brouver-Barclay-Cleaver just as there's a reason everyone played dwarfs last season and it's balance. Not everyone is as good as the top 100 so they go for the current best known strategy. Being creative no longer pays. Engine units are zapped on sight, one after another after another and so on until I personally no longer even run them. If you nerf Brouver the next big thing will be Henselt, if you nerf him then NG will be so op that it will become the next big thing.

A lot of things need to be changed imo, limiting special cards and removal is one thing. With the current removal trend you got no other option but to point vomit which is why many swarm decks are popular atm.

I feel the same as the op but decided to hang around a patch or two because I really want to enjoy the game. Balance is the issue and with so many cards it's no easy one to fix. Create is a topic of its own, I kinda like having options, but I can see both sides of this argument and don't feel like I'm in a position to go for or against. Maybe the game is simply better off without it.

One thing is certain, the game is frustrating atm. More attention needs to be given to balance but not in the way dwarfs got it last month. Dwarfs are dead now..how many of you play them? They all but killed a whole archetype because people were frustrated and rightly so but balance needs to be done carefully, not with a hammer.

Last edited:
It's always a bummer to see anyone leave a community but I understand where you are coming from. Just know that we'll always welcome you back and until then I hope you enjoy yourself elsewhere!

Yeah I feel ya man.

I like like the game, it's the first card game I've ever tried, but it feels like there are a lot of meta decs.

summon cycles, create after create, slavers, trebuchets being revealed so they can attack whilst in the safety of an opponents hand.... I'm starting to forfeit a lot and not give good games.

I don't mind losing (I used to play a lot of Dark Souls), but feeling slaughtered, it's no fun.

I've 800 scraps sitting there. I'm debating whether to experiment, or start searching meta decks, which really feels not in the spirit of sportsmanship

It's sad but honestly, most of the issues you;re facing are pretty much to be expected for a card game.
In fact, Gwent is pretty soft on that regard (if you look at MTG cards, you;ll see some incredibly more broken mechanics/combos).

I'm, myself, not a big fan of create either but since Silver spies can't be created anymore I think they're much better. And yes, sometimes your opponent is gonna create THE card you don't wanted to see but if you count the games when they brik, I think that's fine.

Also, the Broover/cleaver combo is a joke. Just my opinion but this "combo" is an incredible waste of your leader + one slot of Silver. I've never lost to anyone using it and I indeed, see quiet a few.
I guess some random streamers updated a list containing it and "everybody" play it (because you know, card game in 2018...games were you never make a single deck of your own)...

Last edited:
You know what the problem is?

every game is the same thing

Lots of people using the EXACTLY SAME DECKS!

its GREATSWORD

its ALCHEMY

its NEKKER

its POINT SPIT ELFS

always the same! Even the cards are played in the same order!

Games get either boring or frustrating, the age of skill is over.

This is the time of the empty-heads with standart netdecks:facepalm:

I played a lot during the closed beta, then reduced for a bit once it went open beta and took a break the rest of the year. Played again after the winter update and had some fun, but quickly diminished. Same tactics, same builds, became practically predictable with little to no uniqueness. I play mostly b/c I enjoy the witcher and the music. Some days I'll stick it out and play the dailies, others I'll just rage and take a few days off.

I quit for a week last month because cleaver spy swarm abuse, but i got back because i realised that i could win in round 3 with one card less because they dont have a finisher and my swordmaster is ~15.
I got to 4100mmr but then i got destroyed by alchemy with spy abuse rainfarn+cantarela and mandraked calveit for finisher. they also kill my dragoons and get them with slavers.
:mean:

Ranarch;n10580732 said:
always the same! Even the cards are played in the same order!

Games get either boring or frustrating, the age of skill is over.

This is the time of the empty-heads with standard netdecks
Yet it takes them so long to actually play their turn. Its infuriating

sfruzz;n10578302 said:
I'm sorry to hear that. Playing a game where the frustration is higher than the fun makes no sense.

I just wish CDPR would realize this.

For op, I start to lose my faith in this game too, I feel frustration and desperation when nothing outside of meta does not work even for 40% winrate, there are fun decks in there, they are just not viable.

Playing arena I have noticed the most important thing why the game is like it is. The problem is lack of synergy with cards, the biggest combo you can hope to do that is effective is 2 cards, or 1 card (elven swap for example). There is no point to try anything fancy because you just lose the game that way. Spam points or damage=win + add create against those rare weather etc decks.

There is no fun in gwent. I do not know how long I will play anymore, because I feel like op does.

I play since February CB and my hopes for the game did nothing but increase over time, until Midwinter.

I really do not know why CDPR made so bad a mistake, but what's worse is that they kept repeating and accumulating "One mistake after another" as Letho would say.

Changing a game engine that was working (and got polished from 1 year of beta) for a buggy one, introducing RNG cards who simply killed the concept of synergy and strategic play, adding an excess of useless and half-worked cards (with no premiums) upon whom no decent deck could be constructed, leaving the community to deal with the bugs during Christmas vacation with no communication at all, then promising fixes and doing mea culpa to later change basically nothing they promised to...

The list goes on, I'll just stop here.

I had hopes for Arena, but it's literally unplayable.
In Arena AND Ranked, 7 disconnects out of 8 result in my loss; I took notes, no confirmation bias at all.

For the OP's same reasons, I am about to quit the game.
Already found something else that will not create frustration, search was painfully simple.

Gwent could have been a great game, and had all the numbers to succeed, as several tournaments showed.
A pity it had to go this way.

Unlocking an axemen hardly defines a game, not sure even if he got his silver points worth. About the weather, you got bad luck, it happens in any card game. Just move on to the next game.

Facing coin-flip abuse game after the other, though, I agree with you that is simply not fun. I really hope CDPR will act on this sooner rather than later. It is more obvious by the minute that this is the biggest design flaw in the game, and it is really triggering how slow they are to provide any kind of fix.

Top Bottom