Difference between Blood and Broken Bones and Death March

+
This is my thinking exactly. As far as I'm aware nothing changes but increased health & damage of enemies, which is disappointing. I wish they would follow more the Pillars of Eternity difficulty modes where the number & type of enemies change, or Killing Floor 2 where the AI itself gets smarter as the difficulty increases.

EDIT: Ooops, thought I was quoting. Anyway I'm responding to Percival up there.

I liked Fallout New Vegas Hardcore system....where it has far more changes to gameplay than just a generic monster health pool and damage boost.

Hud part not a huge deal in W3 as there is a separate Hud options menu where you can turn stuff off easy.

Yeah, but the game was not designed to work without HUD. Like in Metro, although there is no HUD to show how many bullet left, you can tell by looking at the back of the clip (they gave you this animation to check the clip), which helps the immersion a lot. Also like in Monster Hunter, although there is no indicator showing how many health the enemy has left, it will behave differently based on how much total damage it has received. While in TW3, except for certain bosses, the enemies act indifferently no matter how much health they have left.

I thought so Wasbunny.

@malkavian
Hi! There is really little difference and the enamiesare not that tough. I can say there is very little margin from BB to DM. Drowners are really a head ache if they are too many. Quen is most effective in any setting.

About 60 hours into B&BB and I felt that the game wasn't giving me enough challenge anymore, at least with enemies around my level. So I switched to DM just before fighting the foglet beast fro the swamp contract, and man was that a blast! The bastard killed me 4-5 times before I got my thinking right and adopted the right strategy. It felt amazing to be challenged again, not because enemies are stronger, but because you can't afford to be careless. I guess the game is meant to be played in DM for full enjoyment.

Then I got out of the cave and was downright butchered by a group of lvl 4 drownies. That felt orgasmic!!

From what I understand the only real difference is that enemies have more HP and deal more damage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw in the game files enemies also get resistances to critical effects (poison, bleeding, burning, stunning...) in death march.

Something i don't understand about Death March is the fuss some people make when playing on that difficulty. I remember reading up on a few Death March tips before starting as it was my very first game on TW3. I read people saying "you don't get away with XX or YYY on Death March", need to read the bestiary, apply oils etc etc etc. Come level 15ish, tactics don't matter a jot. You can still get away with umpteen mistakes, Quen is all conquering still and come the end, it really is no harder than playing on whatever the lowest difficulty is when you first begin. Other than 2 out of the four Wild Hunt boss fights, I never struggled. In fact, I expected the last boss fight to be traumatic as I initially struggled to beat the first proper wild hunt boss on top of the mountain and the 2nd to last boss was a pain until i realised his attack pattern was all but 3 things.

Quite bad when you consider a pack of wolves are your main threat and they soon become irrelevant too. I'm no uber gamer, in fact, I'm usually pish at games, but this was a breeze. Not saying I didn't die, but I would say 3/4 of my deaths were my own doing. Like "ooooh, this boss only needs one or two more hits, no need to quen, chug a potion or roll away", then I'd get smacked into the ground. I think I had around 8 deaths that were down to being properly owned by what i was fighting. 6 of those happened during facing the wild hunt, not the end boss either as I did him first time.

For the stats difference is following valid:
Easy: Enemies have 50% less base life
Medium: Enemies have 10% more base life and base damage is increased by 40%
Hard: Enemies have 20% more base life and base damage is increased by 130%
Hardcore: Enemies have 80% more base life, damage is increased by 230%, their stamina regenerates 20% faster and their force, burning, will and shock resistence is increased by 10%

Last edited:
I have just started a new game on blood and broken bones...was playing normal before that. I have noticed less exp on this playthrough. An example: At the start on my normal playthrough I remember getting 40 exp using axii on the guy in the bar at the start. I also remember getting 350 exp for the fist fight after coming out of the bar in white orchid. On my new playthrough ( blood and bones ) that exp changed for me. Using axii on the same guy gave me 25 exp. The fight ( same method as the first playthrough ) only gave me 315 exp. I also noticed less exp in general. I believe you do get less exp on blood and higher.

Just to update about exp from my above post.

I've started a DM playthrough because B & BB wasn't has hard as I thought it would be. Anyway...the exp I got was again different to B &BB. I got the same exp using axii on the two NPC's in the bar ( 25 ),but after the fight when you leave the bar I only got 280 exp this time on DM. Again, I did it exactly the same way on this playthrough as I did the others. Getting less exp is not a myth in my opinion.

Top Bottom