Digital Foundry : Tech Analysis: The Witcher 2 EE

+
Digital Foundry : Tech Analysis: The Witcher 2 EE

In summary then, it's clear that The Witcher 2 has the performance to match the spectacle.This may well be a PC conversion, but the level of technical accomplishment we see here is more in line with what we'd expect from a top-tier first-party studio designing a game directly for the strengths of the host console hardware.

Compare and contrast with a comparable technology - such as Anvil, the Assassin's Creed engine, which has gradually evolved across four games thus far. On its first attempt, CD Projekt RED has bested it in virtually every way, from characters to environment detail to lighting to effects work - and it runs more smoothly to boot

Full analysis here

They did an amazing job, seriously, congratulations, CDPR, it looks gorgeous considering the 360 is 7 year old hardware.

I sure hope they won't change the lightning in the PC version to it's equivalent in the x360 version. I think the lightning in the PC version is just amazing and it's one of the best you can find in any game, while it looks like they've changed a lot of it in the 360 version, not just toning it down to enable the old hardware handle it, they really changed it.
For example: in the begining cut-scene with Triss, they're in a red tent, so the light has a red pattern to it, while in the console version, in the same scene, the lightining lacks that extra pattern. I really don't want them to change the lightning scheme ):

Yasha08 said:
I sure hope they won't change the lightning in the PC version to it's equivalent in the x360 version. I think the lightning in the PC version is just amazing and it's one of the best you can find in any game, while it looks like they've changed a lot of it in the 360 version, not just toning it down to enable the old hardware handle it, they really changed it.
For example: in the begining cut-scene with Triss, they're in a red tent, so the light has a red pattern to it, while in the console version, in the same scene, the lightining lacks that extra pattern. I really don't want them to change the lightning scheme ):

That was post-processing emulating Global Illumination, I don't think they'll remove that from the PC version.

Yasha08 said:

Pretty sure the PC EE version has upgraded lighting. From what i saw the lighting has a lot more of a blue tinge in it.

Yasha08 said:
I think the lightning in the PC version is just amazing and it's one of the best you can find in any game

No, it's not! It was too bright, unrealistic looking, resulting in oversaturated colours. There was nothing amazing in how the NPCs looked like they were covered in some orange radioactive goo, under the light of candles in taverns, of how the night looked too bright because of the unrealistic reflection of light from torches on the surface..

n4meless1 said:
No, it's not! It was too bright, unrealistic looking, resulting in oversaturated colours. There was nothing amazing in how the NPCs looked like they were covered in some orange radioactive goo, under the light of candles in taverns, of how the night looked too bright because of the unrealistic reflection of light from torches on the surface..

It was a bit unrealistic, but that's precisely the point. If you compare the art direction of W1 to W2 then you can clearly see that they've taking a step back from the 'realistic' look of the game. W2 remided me of Fable, art-wise. And I really liked it, the night being so bright was beautiful, it had a magic atmosphere to it, and the day forest brimming with colors had the same sharm.

I am very curious if the EE patch includes changes to lightning. The game does look very different on console because of it, in some cases better, in others maybe worse...although it is mostly subjective.

Yasha08 said:
It was a bit unrealistic, but that's precisely the point. If you compare the art direction of W1 to W2 then you can clearly see that they've taking a step back from the 'realistic' look of the game. W2 remided me of Fable, art-wise. And I really liked it, the night being so bright was beautiful, it had a magic atmosphere to it, and the day forest brimming with colors had the same sharm.

No, I don't think that CDP wanted the game to look like Fable, and less realistic, because their motto is 'dark & gritty', but it was more like a flaw in the engine, a flaw that is now fixed..

Perhaps the most dramatic difference between the older Witcher 2 on PC and the Enhanced Edition on 360 is that lighting has been radically overhauled, looking much more natural on the console. PC owners don't lose out though - all the work carried out on the console version is being rolled back into the original game.

I can't say I'll mind some tweaks to lighting on the PC. I've had quite a love-hate relationship with the bloom - it makes some scenes look fantastic, but in others it causes people's faces to shine like projectors.

A bit toning down of the color palette wouldn't be out of place either, the X360 footage looks much more closer to the first game's tone. I also liked how dark the tent and the inside of the siege tower were.

Guess we'll see on the 17-th.

n4meless1 said:

First time I actually agree with n4meless1. I don't have much experience with the PC version, but from what I've seen in those comparison videos in that article of the OP, I actually prefer the color-palette of the Xbox360 version over the PC version. The PC version is obviously more detailed and of higher quality, but when it comes to color, saturation and the general lighting setup, I think the Xbox360 version on the right in the video is way better than the current PC version on the right in the video. The PC version seems to be way over-saturated in most of the scenes. The hue and saturation on the PC version is just too much sometimes.

Looks amazing next to screens of the vanilla PC version and even improved in some areas. That is where the enhancements come into play, though. I imagine the PC version with the enhancements will really be something else. At any rate, cannot wait to experience the game for the first time on the 360. I think I am in for a real treat.

n4meless1 said:
Have you ever heard about "artistical choice"?

Luc0s said:
First time I actually agree with n4meless1.

Keep it up, and you might make it as an irrational human being after all..

Luc0s said:
Have you ever heard about "artistical choice"?

No! But you could try explaining it to me, for I love reading your posts.. :p

Luc0s said:
You meant: it's not a word some people seem to understand

Are you implying that I'm artisticaly challenged? Because if you are, that's not very ladylike, and it hurts my feelings. :(

n4meless1 said:
Keep it up, and you might make it as an irrational human being after all..

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? If that's a joke I didn't see the humor in it.

Why should I point to you specifically? Everytime I replied in a critical sense, there is someone thinking that I'm "implying" something and even specifically pointed to "him".

Anyway, I don't think there is something to explain, I think you perfectly understand what's the meaning and the sense of "artistic". We cannot expect any game details is changed by our desires or our will, otherwise, it would be a patchwork, not a product any more.

@Luc0s

relax I think he was just joking :)

Top Bottom