Does anyone else feel that the driving physics is off?

+

Guest 4211861

I don't know, man, I played a lot of Outrun when I was young.

outrun_12.jpg

It looks a bit cartoonish but it looks attractive in my eyes. They can't perfect things they make for the 1st time. Rockstar's been doing it for decades and the physics is still subjective. Watch Dogs 1 and Wildlands were bad but I didn't really mind it for some reason. Vehicles in shooters like CoD however are just plain awful.

It looks a bit cartoonish but it looks attractive in my eyes. They can't perfect things they make for the 1st time. Rockstar's been doing it for decades and the physics is still subjective. Watch Dogs 1 and Wildlands were bad but I didn't really mind it for some reason. Vehicles in shooters like CoD however are just plain awful.
I kinda get what you mean. I heard loads of people complain about GTA and Watch dogs 1 a while back. I heard WD2 slightly improved this but people still had their complaints. Whatever CDPR is doing with Cyberpunk2077, it looks different but also familiar in a good way, and that's good news to me because I'm hoping it means that it's not like GTA and it's not like Watch dogs in terms of the driving style. If I'm not mistaken CDPR was trying out different racing builds a while back and I'm very excited about that. I can't wait to go drifting and racing. I love the feeling of freedom and maneuverability and speed. The less I feel like a boat, the better.

It looks bad and according to those who played, they themselves were surprised how often they would have to drive in this game from their 4 hour session.

It looks bad and according to those who played, they themselves were surprised how often they would have to drive in this game from their 4 hour session.
I don't really understand why everyone is saying that the driving gameplay that we have seen so far looks bad? When it comes to something like driving, to me it looks great(what we have seen so far) but I can't be sure until I try out the driving when the game comes out. But I honestly fail to understand what exactly is wrong with the driving we have seen. I am very interesting in seeing more driving because supposedly it's been updated since (I think someone had said something like this). Can anyone explain to me and show me footage that shows exactly where and how and why there is a problem? I just don't see it.

Couple of examples in this trailer:
Look at how the car turns the corner in 0:21
How it comes to a quick stop at 8:21.

Just a bit too arcadey for my tastes. But that's my opinion, I'll reserve final judgement for when the game comes out.

Couple of examples in this trailer:
Look at how the car turns the corner in 0:21
How it comes to a quick stop at 8:21.
Just a bit too arcadey for my tastes. But that's my opinion, I'll reserve final judgement for when the game comes out.
If you look really closely, at 0:21, the car appears to be going very fast, but is actually moving not as fast as it appears. The car slows down, and then makes a sharp turn, but this occurs when the car was already moving very slowly. At 8:21 the car was going even slower than before, and simply comes to rest very normally. I honestly don't see any intense "arcadey" type stuff going on, and I feel like I could probably see a car in real life move like that if the driver was skilled and the car was "sporty" enough I suppose. I would be willing to believe that cars in the future have much better shock absorption, acceleration, brakes, and other features that would make things feel more like that. I guess the illusion that is occurring here is the lighting of the environment in contrast to the vehicle lighting. If you look at the surroundings of the car and the speed at which they are moving relative to the car, and avoid looking at the car itself, you can better gauge the vehicle speed, which wasn't actually moving that fast. I am actually very happy that whoever is playing that specific build of Cyberpunk2077 is able to control the car so that when they input "turn" the car turns, and when they input "stop" the car stops. Other games are much more frustrating and unrewarding about this. I'm kind of glad to see that it's at least this good. But yea definitely re-watch those. The car is not going very fast in those moments. It's just an optical illusion. What's probably missing is the feeling of weight, momentum, and the tires screeching. I really hope that doesn't get done only for the purpose to "fix" it and then all the cars drive like slow-land-boats from GTA, that would make me sad. But yes, It could use some more "weight/momentum/tire screech" maybe just a little. And these are already all very old builds I think, if I am not mistaken. All of this may have possibly been improved already.

Last edited:
yeah
you know , in witcher 3 riding roach was pretty smooth if you just watch ,
but when you get the game in hand , its a pain in the ass , seems like its riding for itself,
im a bit worried that driving in cp2077 is gonna be like riding roach , it was too cinematic-ish
just hope they wont repeat roach :shrug:

If we talk about driving, isn't the inscription on the tire mooving a bit too slow comparing to overall speed? Eventually we should see a stroboscopic effect but then the inscription should go backwards ;]

I don't mind the cars, they're not horrible, I've played many racing games with keyboard controls and CP2077 is not the worst by far. Try driving cars in The Crew with keyboard...

Motorcycles are a different story, they lose control way too easy which is a shame because they look so DAMN cool. As a rider myself I love the bikes in CP.

I'd rather they fix other things and leave cars alone for now.
Oh one more thing, the radar for driving is too small for the speeds you get up to!

Last edited:
Watching some of the trailers released recently, the driving sequences felt off to me. No car should be able to turn so sharply or stop so abruptly. CP2077 is set in the future but inertia, momentum and Newton's Laws are immutable.
It's not a driving simulator but it does spoil the sense of immersion for me. As a person with many years of driving experience it just doesn't seem right to me.
I used a mod to make the driving k.

YES! first off the key contols on PC are way to sensitive.
Then if you havent noticed,, whether you go to 3rd person or first person view, the camera is a few degrees off center to the left. Not the vehicle but the actual camera view. I think that makes the brain subconsciously compensate for those few degerees when trying to control the vehicle.

Didn't read all posts, not sure this was mentioned already. I have been trying different cars, and realised that some cars are not meant to be driven in the city, very fast acceleration but for what? These were maybe thought to be used in freeways for longer journeys.
If you try and keep your car under the NC speed limits, no mater which car your driving, you'll find them much more manageable. If you try to gas it then get to 90 degree turn, naturally you're going to get into trouble.

In my opinion the worst of car driving is that, it's barely possible to drive any of them from the inside. The inside of each car is so unique and well crafted and really works towards a good and immersive experience, this while the machine is motionless, all falls apart immediately the moment you start "pedalling" lol

I played on game pad. From top off my head.

• Slower cars are far more fun in the city.
  • All car feel like they are more or less AWD (I guess that might be one reason for Johnny's Porsche 911 being like easiest 930 type to drive ever)
  • You can drift, do some tricks
  • Braking distances are very short considering the speeds, I get it that it feel arcadey but it fits the game IMO very well.
  • In car view can offer surprisingly good sense of speed though it takes some time to adjust, force feedback via game pad when driving on patches is very good indicator
  • In car view in some cars is hindered by player model position. I guess that might be due extra space required for certain hair styles, causing player position to be too low in cockpit and hindering visibility
  • On keyboard players might be good to know that there's no steering lock, but wheels turn to about 90 degrees, not limited like in many racing games, this may make physics feel too snappy if player doesn't know to adjust

Didn't read all posts, not sure this was mentioned already. I have been trying different cars, and realised that some cars are not meant to be driven in the city, very fast acceleration but for what? These were maybe thought to be used in freeways for longer journeys.
If you try and keep your car under the NC speed limits, no mater which car your driving, you'll find them much more manageable. If you try to gas it then get to 90 degree turn, naturally you're going to get into trouble.

In my opinion the worst of car driving is that, it's barely possible to drive any of them from the inside. The inside of each car is so unique and well crafted and really works towards a good and immersive experience, this while the machine is motionless, all falls apart immediately the moment you start "pedalling" lol

Not sure if this game has wheel support. I havent tried a wheel yet nor have i read any input on whether anyone else tried an actual wheel in the game. A wheel would probably make cockpit driving easier....who knows.

I think the biggest complaint about cockpit driving is the extreme lighting shooting through the windshield.

The only real problem *besides physics bugs* with the driving that I've noticed is the fact that there's steering lag, which makes counter-steering nigh impossible and ends up in situations where I veer onto the sidewalk because of it.

The only way I can consistently drive normally is with a controller, and after a drift pretty much slowly steer the other way until the car straightens up.

Basically don't jerk the steering wheel or you'll end up in the ditch.

The only real problem *besides physics bugs* with the driving that I've noticed is the fact that there's steering lag, which makes counter-steering nigh impossible and ends up in situations where I veer onto the sidewalk because of it.

The only way I can consistently drive normally is with a controller, and after a drift pretty much slowly steer the other way until the car straightens up.

Basically don't jerk the steering wheel or you'll end up in the ditch.
How much do you think that we are driving some sort of AWD's instead of what car description says and what we expect might contribute to that?

in my opinion brakes are lame and steering is to fast, if you play with keyboard.
well it is depending on the car you are driving. but so far that is my opinion.
brakes should be quite a bit harder, steering slower at least on the caliburn.
On other cars it might be just the brakes.

Top Bottom