Don't make winning the only way to advance/progress

+
Don't make winning the only way to advance/progress

I have played a lot of cards games over a very long time, and one mistake made by digital card games is to put all the emphasis on winning.

If you have a competitive mode (a ladder or ELO system), then winning is all that matters, but a lot of people play these games because they enjoy the mechanics, or the lore of the game, and are not necessarily particularly good, or investing a huge amount in to the game.

Hearthstone just recently significantly trimmed on the number of daily quests that require "winning" and instead added 60 new quests that say "play X number of pirates" or "deal X damage with murlocs" etc etc ...

That might be difficult to translate in to this game in the near future, but they could do 3 games played = 1 win

If you win, you jump to the next reward bar. If you lose, you only get 1/3 of the way. It might be a bit weird, but I would also reward win streaks by making it so that every win takes you to the next reward bar regardless of when it happens. If you lose 2, win 1, you still just jump to the next reward bar. 3 losses in a row, get to the next reward.

To be very clear:

1 win = 1 reward level
3 losses = 1 reward level
1/2 losses followed by 1 win = 1 reward level
2 wins = 2 reward levels

I STRONGLY recommend this because people playing decks they enjoy that aren't "top tier" will simply stop playing. If someone wants to play only Elves or if they are all about building a Boat deck that uses weather conditions on the other rows, they should be rewarded for investing time.

There is going to be a campaign in the release version so players can advance by other means than PvP.

Here are some details from June:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/16/standalone-gwent-game-has-ten-hour-single-player-campaigns/

False, the campaign will be paid: http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1117
And I agree, people who lose should still get some sort of reward. Heck, I feel there should be an overal reward for playing, because right now, after you've done the 3 daily levels, there's no incentive to play at all.

False, the campaign will be paid: http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1117
And I agree, people who lose should still get some sort of reward. Heck, I feel there should be an overal reward for playing, because right now, after you've done the 3 daily levels, there's no incentive to play at all.

Thanks for the correction - but the reward on loss needs to be restricted somehow or too easily exploitable.

Something like winning at least one round.

Last edited:

Guest 3885261

Digital card games always do this because it hinders bots. Stinks for us humans, but implementing a more effective system would be extremely tricky.

I believe that at least for one month they will not change much in the system.But after more stats come in (progression collection wise, win rate/ faction, Kegs opening stats etc.) it will be decided what direction should be taken.

They already said that they consider new play modes, so more opportunities to get resources in the future will arise.

Giving rewards on loss becomes a problem due to the fact people will exploit it.

We will have bots written to work with whatever system we create. The GG mechanic is there for this, so you don't get nothing :)

It's really frustrating when you lose and gain nothing.Not everyone gives you GG after a game...You basically get punished for...playing?

Guest 3857871

It's really frustrating when you lose and gain nothing.Not everyone gives you GG after a game...You basically get punished for...playing?
When i started i took that as game telling me to get better. If i wanna get good things i have to do some work with the cards. My very first strategies were quite simple such as lining up three Redanian knights and buffing them for like forever or lining up 9 poor infantry and giving them potions. The hardest part was to smuggle these knights and infantry past my opponent and get them to stay alive long enough to be useful.

I don't find that this mechanic is bad as long as the Matchmaking is based on the player level in the final version of Gwent.
Maybe the rewards have to be adjusted in future builds so this can work properly, but if the player level depends on the number of matches you've won and the matchmaking look for opponents with a level around yours you should play against decks that are equally powerful as yours most of the time.

But in my opinion the GG mechanic should be removed or changed, because many players don't give a "GG" if they loose or even if they win and the other players give "GG" in every match so it would be better to give the rewards automatically to every player and maybe if a "GG" is given the players should be rewarded with some extra Scraps additional to the base reward.

The "no GG given" attitude is far more prevalent today than it was the last 3 days, for some reason.

While I can understand some (Yen from the keg may make me look like someone who paid to win, Surprise Toruviel is like an arrow to the knee and might piss people off), that doesn't explain it all.

So, I sometimes got nothing for winning (or losing) while nicely pressing GG for the rude dudes.

That was rather off-putting.

Giving rewards on loss becomes a problem due to the fact people will exploit it.

We will have bots written to work with whatever system we create. The GG mechanic is there for this, so you don't get nothing :)

But isn't the GG bonus also being exploited?

I don't see people not giving GG as an issue, in fact people give GG too easy.

After grinding out my daily bonus, I started just throwing games(esc card selection, esc to forfeit) and I got 2 kegs (will be more) today + scraps just from that. I think that they should implement some minimum number of cards played per game for GG to count.

I don't see people not giving GG as an issue, in fact people give GG too easy.

After grinding out my daily bonus, I started just throwing games(esc card selection, esc to forfeit) and I got 2 kegs (will be more) today + scraps just from that. I think that they should implement some minimum number of cards played per game for GG to count.

If someone just forfaits right at the start of the game, I wouldn't give him the Good Game bonus... I mean you can still try it if you have enough time to do so, but I'd prefer to use my time more sensibly. Like instead actual playing to earn the Good Game. :)

If someone just forfaits right at the start of the game, I wouldn't give him the Good Game bonus... I mean you can still try it if you have enough time to do so, but I'd prefer to use my time more sensibly. Like instead actual playing to earn the Good Game. :)

Yea, but I don't get win bonuses anymore today. And you would be surprised how much people GG.

the participation trophy mentality on this board is really something to behold

The only point I see is this. Let's say 6 months down the road a new player starts. If PvP is the only non-pay way for them to advance, aside from GG, I could see that player getting frustrated leave. Even after a few days, it is clear new decks would struggle greatly against my current cards and I have not paid a penny yet.

Is it so hard to write a code which would count the time of a duel? 5 minutes seems fair and square. If match lasts this long you'll get a reward even for a loss.
Either this or write matchmaking script that won't force me to play with players with great cards I can only drool over.

We will have bots written to work with whatever system we create. The GG mechanic is there for this, so you don't get nothing

I understand but i have one suggestion:
This system MIGHT work if BOTH players have to GG in order for either to get rewarded. At least that will force some level of fake civility as if they didn't like the outcome of the game, they also don't get rewarded.

Ps. Good game today Rethas, I'm plaing in f2p model so I try at least 'Put up a good fight'

Top Bottom