Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
ATiBotka said:
Really? I didn't know that.
Yeah, male and female qunari which is awesome since we never saw female qunari in the game.
Now we will be able to play as one. Warrior and mage classes for qunari were also confirmed, don't know about rogues. If there is any reason why i will give DA:I a shot is because of this.

Geksi said:
I was not impressed with gameplay.
The only thing that has me excited is that qunari will be available as playable race. Funny how they are talking about tactical combat, yet it looks almost the same as TW2: semi-twitch combat, dodge roll... with detached camera.

I don't know what everyone else means by tactical combat, but my interpretation is a return to the script-based combat in DAO. I still consider it one of the strengths of the game, and a great way of handling team-based combat.

And a polite reminder to everyone that criticising games is acceptable, criticising fans of games is not.

Geksi said:
Yeah, male and female qunari which is awesome since we never saw female qunari in the game.
Now we will be able to play as one. Warrior and mage classes for qunari were also confirmed, don't know about rogues. If there is any reason why i will give DA:I a shot is because of this.

Same here. Playing as a saarebas will be interesting.

Not impressed at all.Only a technical improvement due to Engine change, lacking soul, lacking the hand placed element in environments, lacking atmosphere and radiating emptiness.
Still has the spiky vibe and the town looks dull and predictable. Needs more.
Painfully obvious that they have to compromise details, due to 360 and PS3 release, it would be illogical to create things that wouldn't run on it.

gregski said:
So, apparently Laidlaw's favourite RPG is Planescape:Torment and it's gonna be an inspiration for DA:I.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/31/one-of-dragon-ages-big-influences-planescape-torment/

Pff.

Let me guess, it's Nathan Greyson lodged firmly up their rectum praising them for going old school when a few months ago he was praising DA2 for spurning old school. That fucker's seriously angling for a job with whoever's on top and personally I wouldn't trust a word he says out of either face.

I think it looks great, a very big improvement to DA2. Combat looks fine to me. I liked DA0 a lot though, so I will probably buy this game. Will hold off for some user scores though.
Nice to actually get to see the tactical camera, thanks Sycophant.

Monimonster said:
I think it looks great, a very big improvement to DA2. Combat looks fine to me. I liked DA0 a lot though, so I will probably buy this game. Will hold off for some user scores though.
Nice to actually get to see the tactical camera, thanks Sycophant.

Thanks.
Yes, it is an improvement to DA2 - what that game would have been had it not been rushed so much. My - and other naysayers' - problem is that it does not seem to be returning to DAO roots - which made the game good in the first place. It now has more in common with Mass Effect and Amalur:Reckoning than it does with Origins. So with that what we will get is a good next-gen game - not the Dragon Age people want (think Dead Space 3)

What do you mean by "DA:O roots" (it's a serious question, not a troll one)?

I don't want DA:O 2; so far, DA:I looks less generic than DA:O in my opinion. I also don't want the "Dragon Age people want": the "Dragon Age people want" is actually my biggest fear and will be yours once you'll spend some time on the BioWare Social Network.

Szelius said:

I don't want DA:O 2; so far, DA:I looks less generic than DA:O in my opinion. I also don't want the "Dragon Age people want": the "Dragon Age people want" is actually my biggest fear and will be yours once you'll spend some time on the BioWare Social Network.

I can't even take BSN seriously, because every third thread is about romance. It's like people want to turn every game into a romancing simulator.

Szelius said:

Screw BSN. They... are useless in all regards except the modding guys, and have horrible taste.

What I meant by roots is that DAO is at base an old school isometric ARPG (with optional 3rd person camera, no way around it these days) with tactical squad control - as in how you position your members matter, bottlenecks etc are actually effective, full run at squad customization (which is there in DAI, at least) and real-time control where switching between squad members makes sense. Think Baldur's Gate. Now, if Bioware wants to add a 3rd person combat system over that, no problem - as long as it does not actively conflict with the strategizing/planning DAO is famous for.

Instead of that, we have... DAI. The isometric view they are showing is literally a freeview cam e la Skyrim, not a dedicated isometric view. And by the nature of the combat, it's fast-paced, negating advanced planning (especially since everyone makes it their business to flank you even in supposed bottlenecks), and the emphasis on Amalur/Witcher/Dark Souls type combat (only way more janky, like Ryse) means you need to have real-time control of one character at a time to utilize them properly, and when you move to another character, the AI can't do shit due to the combat system.

The story I could not give a fuck about - it is full of cliches, Bioware-style, the graphical fidelity looks way worse than Crysis 3 (the best graphics engine of current gen), and the only ones hyped are the rabid Bioware fans you find in BSN.

Geksi said:
I can't take even take BSN seriously, because every third thread is about romance. It's like people want to turn every game into a romancing simulator.

And what do you expect form a mark which work on cliches? In the whole history of tales, novels, theatre, movies, legends and imaginery the Hero wins and take the Girl. BW only give the option to put she in the hero place and he in the girl, but romance is part of epics stories, and BW will keep their gold-makers cliches.

Sycophant said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3OjMCHnsZg

New gameplay, including tactical isometric view(end of video).
Either I am bit jaded or these people are easily excited.

UI looks terrible. I liked UI in Origins. This looks as cheap as DA2 interface. Also armor designs and other things look more like DA 2 which were really uninspired. I preffered more realistic look in Origins.

But what will make or break this game is writing. DA 2 was mostly embarassing.

Babli said:
Either I am bit jaded or these people are easily excited.

The place was packed to the brim with Bioware and Dragon Age fans.

Babli said:

Uh... let me give you and example. The enemies in the video are Red Templars who went crazy by consuming Red Lyrium. And... well, we can always hope that things will not turn out as I expect it to.

So "old school" tactical combat as "roots" for Dragon Age: O? That's not much, and one can hardly say it's unique to DA.

I was never impressed by the combat in both DA:O or DA2. I rarely played the isometric view in DA:O anyway. And there is a dedicated isometric view : http://youtu.be/bbGN7OBngCQ?t=4m29s (warning: turn off the sound) That's the first time I'm actually interested in DA combats (can't say I'm hyped though, I won't comment combat mechanics until I've seen more of that and played it with my own keyboard).

Szelius said:
So "old school" tactical combat as "roots" for Dragon Age: O? That's not much, and one can hardly say it's unique to DA.

I was never impressed by the combat in both DA:O or DA2. I rarely played the isometric view in DA:O anyway. And there is a dedicated isometric view : http://youtu.be/bbGN7OBngCQ?t=4m29s (warning: turn off the sound) That's the first time I'm actually interested in DA combats (can't say I'm hyped though, I won't comment combat mechanics until I've seen more of that and with my own keyboard).

Of course it's not unique to DA - originally Dragon Age was touted as a return to Baldur's Gate style gameplay. Origins didn't quite deliver, but it was still a good game.

I agree with you about the combat in DA games - they had different problems. DA2 had wave-based combat where enemies would suddenly appear behind you, destroying tactical positioning, along with a dumbed down combat system (rogue becoming pure hack'n'slash for example). DAO's combat was... didn't flow well, and I spent a ridiculous amount of time doing damage control, but at least it got the basics down right, and the game is also fixable with mods (I never played vanilla DAO - downloaded a shit ton of mods from the Nexus, which made for a great game).

Btw since this is the first time you have been drawn into DA combat, can I suppose you never played an isometric RPG? (I recommend Torchlight 2 - it's great, and is like $5 on Steam) Then I would understand the appeal the new isometric view has to you. (And I believe I am the one who posted that video - at least, I have already watched it in its entirety.) It is freeview cam you can get in any Elder Scrolls game by typing tfc in the console. When I say isometric I mean http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aG6nFyRAfDY http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BtRvhTb6TAk .

And as I have said, I am cool with the 3rd person combat if it caters to/does not conflict with the isometric combat. What we have here in DAI is that the isometric view is "tacked on" to the point the game has become a CRPG with full squad control. Now, that can be pulled off, but with Bioware saying "tactical", "return to Origins", "Planescape:Torment" at every turn... the game is definitely not any one of these things. I hoped for a sequel to Origins, what I got was a sequel to DA2 with (hopefully) the shit taken out. I'll enjoy it, I think, but it's not the game I wanted.

EDIT - almost forgot, attached image says everything about my thoughts on the story.

Wichat said:
I think that when KoP says review he means "real" reviews made by real "gamers", not these childish-fanboy-marketing reviews

Exactly.

Even more specifically, two individuals who know what I like and what I hate. Costin being one of them if he's going to get it.

Top Bottom