DVD not required anymore for patched Original version ( released in 2007 )

+
I'm still hoping they'll issue a fix. I haven't started playing yet because I have heard that DVD in the drive causes longer load times. If there is a possible way to not have that problem I'll wait for it.

It proves that you care about the customer. The way how many publishers use DRM and copy protection nowadays is really sad for those who actually buy the games. It hurts no one else but the customer, and I had to learn it the hard way.You have quickly become a respectable developer, and you deserve it. Keep up the good work, and we'll both have fun. :beer:

Icharius said:
It proves that you care about the customer. The way how many publishers use DRM and copy protection nowadays is really sad for those who actually buy the games. It hurts no one else but the customer, and I had to learn it the hard way.You have quickly become a respectable developer, and you deserve it. Keep up the good work, and we'll both have fun. :beer:
I have no idea where you are getting your misinformation. The Witcher, as well as The Witcher Enhanced Edition come with TAGES Copy Protection. You might find some interesting reading over here: http://www.tagesprotection.com/

Still, would be nice to know officially whether copy protection is removed for the patched original game, or there is a risk of ending up with a broken game when the DVD is removed (after reading up on the Tages copy protection The Witcher apparently uses this seems like a real risk).

ok ok hello everyone again!I own both copies of TW I got a new dvd drive today had some trouble so I had to stare at my EE retail copy all weekend without playing it. I have both and since the EE needs a disk to play it all the time I'll probably install the normal copy I have and update it with the patches. What I really want to know is do you have to register to play the EE retail verison? As I remeber the normal game at 1.0-1.3 need the disk to play but you didn't need to register to play it. After the installtion will it tell me to register, etc? People that have installed the EE retail version can answer this for me please? :-\

gorwin said:
Still, would be nice to know officially whether copy protection is removed for the patched original game, or there is a risk of ending up with a broken game when the DVD is removed (after reading up on the Tages copy protection The Witcher apparently uses this seems like a real risk).
You can remove TAGES From your system. They have an official uninstaller. Download and run. If you have it on your system it removes it. If you don't have it, it will let you install it if you want to. http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm?page=5.5.htmMany I am sure of the people who have the original witcher downloaded the patch, but that DOESN"T remove TAGES from your system. You need the uinistaller for that. The patch removes TAGES from the .exe that runs the game but TAGES is driver level protection, like Starforce. When you run a TAGES game for the fist time it installs the drivers on your system. To get rid of them you have to do it manually (ie: run their uninstaller) after you patch your original game to 1.4 of course you can remove TAGES since there is no more TAGES checks when you run the game. Of course if you have another game that needs it, it won't start.

umm I was hoping for a different answer regarding registering the game on the official site. Because you didn't have to for the original do you have to for the EE. I'm not gonna ge tinto that Tages stuff someone might find it useful tho.

AJCN said:
umm I was hoping for a different answer regarding registering the game on the official site. Because you didn't have to for the original do you have to for the EE. I'm not gonna ge tinto that Tages stuff someone might find it useful tho.
This is only an assumption but, if you bought TWEE boxed version, I don't see any reason you'd have to register to play. You will likely have to have the DVD in the drive to play, though. You might even have to register in order to apply any forthcoming patches from the official site. However, that remains to be seen.

Hey folks, I purchased TWEE through Stardock Impulse (already use it for a couple of games). Once downloaded, it does an initial check to make sure the serial number is part of your Impulse account, and then that's it - no more checks each time you play. As a matter of fact, you can archive and burn compressed game files, and then to reinstall, do so through Impulse installation and it repeats the serial number check. That's it. No limits on installs, no phoning home every time you play. Stardock hates copy protection as much as gamers. Of course Stardock is limited in countries it can sell to, courtesy of Atari I understand.

Yeah, Stardock is great - and I would have bought the game from them if my internet speed was just a bit faster. :'(

All digital games are played without dvds though obviously same for the witcher on steam, direct drive, etc why am stating the clearly obvious. Stardock i don't know of

AJCN: What I know about the registration of The Witcher is that it just checks that you have the correct Username and Password here on the official site. FWIW, The Witcher is the only game I've ever registered as I tend to avoid doing that. Of course, I buy my games and use the CD KEY to install. I think you really only need to register in the case that the company offers any new, free, content in the future. If you can play your boxed version of EE without registering, go for it.

Hello everybody,I've bought The Witcher Enhanced Edition (CZ/SK version) yesterday. I've registered the game and patched it on 1.4 version. As seen e.g. here:http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16955.0it doesn't seem to be quite clear, there might even be some differences among the different language installers etc..So, is there a way to actually play the game without the DVD in the drive? If so, how can I do that? Thank you very much for any help.

budzogan said:
Hello everybody,I've bought The Witcher Enhanced Edition (CZ/SK version) yesterday. I've registered the game and patched it on 1.4 version. As seen e.g. here:http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16955.0it doesn't seem to be quite clear, there might even be some differences among the different language installers etc..So, is there a way to actually play the game without the DVD in the drive? If so, how can I do that? Thank you very much for any help.
Apparently that only works for the original edition with the downloaded patch. Us who bought the new ee edition has to use the dvd in the drive.

stefan9 said:
stefan9 said:
Apparently that only works for the original edition with the downloaded patch. Us who bought the new ee edition has to use the dvd in the drive.
Very strange. I hope we will get the same chances as people who have bought the original and now they are able to play without the DVD in the drive. My drive is making sounds like someone is using a vacuum cleaner around my head... :(

Maybe its just temporary for the actual EE copies to protect them from pirates. You can not go on selling something specially with a new product that could be easily pirated. The first generation, the October 2007 copies have already been paid for and the revenue went to Atari and CDPR while the EE is still generating income as of today which is in paper and not in actual received money.Huh, why do I get the feeling nobody understood me. ;D

I did, but I can also assure you that the DRM is doing nothing to stop people from pirating this game over the internet :)

Top Bottom