DVD not required anymore for patched Original version ( released in 2007 )

+
Sokkratez said:
I stopped keeping track, has there ever been any resolution to this issue?
this issue is mostly handled by the publisher: ATARIi think of it this way: those who bought the game at the original launch had to deal with this *issue* for a year, now they free from it, this it's a gift to them ;)

gorwin said:
In the end, given the fact that CD Project RED is already demonstrating their loyalty to their customers by releasing the bonus content as a free patch, while any other company would have sold it as an expansion pack, the copy protection seems like a small thing to complain about to me, personally.
I beg to differ. If it wasn't for the "unofficial" patch I applied to disable the DVD check on my copy of Witcher EE, I would not have played the game (and I was on the point of returning it for a refund) making it a singular black mark on an otherwise excellent game.There are several problems that DVD/CD checks cause legitimate users, many of which are listed in Why do people want to use no-CD/DVD patches at all? As others have mentioned, such checks are virtually useless in preventing piracy and are more indicative of the contempt that software publishers have for their customers.
gorwin said:
Stardock hates copy protection as much as gamers.
No they clearly don't, since they implement it themselves via online DRM (see their Activation Policy for more details). This is worse than DVD/CD checks for the following reasons:
  • If the company goes bust, you lose the ability to install/use the products.
  • The company can change their activation criteria at any time and enforce it (i.e. it is a one-sided contract where they can change terms to their liking - even making you pay again for activation, which Stardock do under some circumstances).
  • The possibility exists for extra data to be transmitted without user knowledge or consent (e.g. hardware/software setup, browser history, private documents, etc).
With DVD/CD checks, at least the end-user has some ability to limit the downsides (e.g. keeping DVDs stored away as much as possible, not using laptops for gaming, etc). With online checks, the user is effectively reduced to renting the software, with no control over when their usage ends.In addition, Stardock's Impulse service requires .NET Framework (which bloats up your Windows registry by 1.2MB) and, since everything you purchase is tied to a single account, it means that (like Steam) they could choose to start charging annual/monthly fees to keep accounts open (if you had $200-300 worth of software tied to an account, would you be prepared to lose that by not paying say, $30/year?).Now this last point is conjecture, but given the tendency of established companies to milk/bilk customers when they gain a monopoly position (eBay's recent fees hike being a good example) I would consider it a likely, if not inevitable, one.

Yes that Is the one thing that I hate having to have all the CD'S/DVD's around so I can play a game. I finally got tires of all that crap and got Game Jackal by SlySoft Works Fantastic. Now I don't need a CDor DVD inserted to play any of the games that I have including the ones that I'm currently playing. IE: Bloodrayne, Assassin's Creed, Soul Reaver 2, Neverwinter Nights, NWN2,Doom 3, Spellforce Platinum, The Witcher EE, Two Worlds Epic Edition, ect.

Hello:I'm new in this forum, so I don't know if this is the right place to make this question. So I apologize if this is not the place.I know that the downloadable version of the 1.4 Patch for The Witcher removes the DVD-check. I recently buy the EE of The Witcher and it came with the dvd-check. The question: ¿Is CD-Projectk creating a patch to remove the DVD-check in the EE of The Witcher? Thanks in advance.

RicardoOlavarra said:
The question: ¿Is CD-Projectk creating a patch to remove the DVD-check in the EE of The Witcher?
They would require Atari's permission to do so which is likely to happen when global peace is declared, poverty ended and climate change averted - and not a day before. ;)

RicardoOlavarra said:
I know that the downloadable version of the 1.4 Patch for The Witcher removes the DVD-check. I recently buy the EE of The Witcher and it came with the dvd-check. The question: ¿Is CD-Projectk creating a patch to remove the DVD-check in the EE of The Witcher?
http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16955.msg423869#msg423869 ;)oh, guys for any DRM talk we already have a thread here

Well, thanks for your answers and the link.I hope that your theory, Licaon_Kter, about that "those who bought the game at the original launch had to deal with this *issue* for a year, now they free from it, this it's a gift to them" would become true, after a year too, to the people who buy the EE edition.

RicardoOlavarra said:
Well, thanks for your answers and the link.I hope that your theory, Licaon_Kter, about that "those who bought the game at the original launch had to deal with this *issue* for a year, now they free from it, this it's a gift to them" would become true, after a year too, to the people who buy the EE edition.
i hope too, but this is in the hands of ATARI

Well, I thought I lost my disc of the original witcher a few days back and thankfully I found it (I had moved and it wasn't in the CD case). It's a bit scratched, but installed onto my system just fine. But now I'm worried about further screwing up my disc by constantly inserting and removing it into the tray. Is there anything I can do, like a setting or something to not have to keep using the disc everytime I want to play?Apparently, since my disc of The Witcher is a retail version, I can't register the game on STEAM, which was my first idea (I buy all my games on STEAM now).Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy this game, but really don't have the cash to buy it again if I screw this disc up further.

ZeroPhoenix said:
Well, I thought I lost my disc of the original witcher a few days back and thankfully I found it (I had moved and it wasn't in the CD case). It's a bit scratched, but installed onto my system just fine. But now I'm worried about further screwing up my disc by constantly inserting and removing it into the tray.
Original version released back in 2007?just update to patch 1.4 and you don't need the disk in drive anymorealso get hotfix 2.3 after the patch: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21011.0but if it was the Enhanced Edition released in 2008, with 2 installation DVDs then you can't

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Well, I thought I lost my disc of the original witcher a few days back and thankfully I found it (I had moved and it wasn't in the CD case). It's a bit scratched, but installed onto my system just fine. But now I'm worried about further screwing up my disc by constantly inserting and removing it into the tray.
Original version released back in 2007?just update to patch 1.4 and you don't need the disk in drive anymorealso get hotfix 2.3 after the patch: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21011.0but if it was the Enhanced Edition released in 2008, with 2 installation DVDs then you can't
That is great news. I DL'ed the EE from fileplanet, but haven't had time to test it.Thanks!

Top Bottom