EA/BioWare's Origin WILL be a mandate for ME3, CD Projekt RED now has my business for life.

+
Welp, i bought me1 and me2, too bad im not gonna play me3. Still there will be videos on youtube with walkthrough and letsplays so at least i'm going to know story. I'm afraid that me2 was last bioware game i bought.

It was sooooo dispointing when they finally anounced that it will be mandatory..... I'll se what I do, but I've got crystal clear that I won't install Origin. It's sad to see Bioware in this situation since it has been aquired by EA, first we had a game like DA2 that I have no doubt that the changes the game suffered from DA:O were because of EA's requirements regarding market targeting etc...... and now Origin.

Anyway it's good to see companies like CDPR who respect their customers and offer them both great games and good service. Glad to support you!

For last 3 days, after Origin's update, I cannot login to it. It is like 5th time it happens to me after Battlefield 3 was released, but this time it takes too long. Therefore I cannot play Battlefield 3 that I legally acquired for 3 days already.

Real story. So, yeah, ME3 just went plough itself. So is Diablo 3.

gregski said:
For last 3 days, after Origin's update, I cannot login to it. It is like 5th time it happens to me after Battlefield was released, but this time it takes too long. Therefore I cannot play Battlefield 3 that I legally acquired for 3 days already.

Real story. So, yeah, ME3 just went plough itself. So is Diablo 3.

I hate shit like this. HATE it. You legally buy a game, and then get a major hassle. Not even the music or movie industry stoops this low.

slimgrin said:
I hate shit like this. HATE it. You legally buy a game, and then get a major hassle. Not even the music or movie industry stoops this low.
Wholefully agree.

After your post, gregski, I tried playing Alice Madness, coz of course it requires the installation of EA Origin as well
The game runs with no problem and I can play it. Maybe it is because I've removed the Origin from the startup? I've checked in the task manager as well, and it's not running not even when you open the game.

Windows Live similar to Origin, isn't it? Coz that I can't stop from running when I launch Batman AA\AC. Or I can't play at all.

secondchildren said:
Wholefully agree.

After your post, gregski, I tried playing Alice Madness, coz of course it requires the installation of EA Origin as well
The game runs with no problem and I can play it. Maybe it is because I've removed the Origin from the startup? I've checked in the task manager as well, and it's not running not even when you open the game.

Windows Live similar to Origin, isn't it? Coz that I can't stop from running when I launch Batman AA\AC. Or I can't play at all.
Well, there used to be exeptions on EA's SP only games. It would've been nice if you could remove Origin entirely. I've got close to no experience with GfWL, though.

I played some titles with Games for Windows Live and compared to Origin, it's the most reliable, user-friendly service ever.

Forum veteran
slimgrin said:
Not even the music or movie industry stoops this low.
Not anymore, but they certainly used to.

One would think that companies would learn from the past mistakes of other companies, but apparently everyone needs a turn in the fire before they can accept that it's going to burn them.

Anyway, it amuses me that EA is trying to prop up Origin as a competitor to Steam. The whole thing seems identical to iTunes and its competitors. For all of the purported "iTunes killers" that popped up, nothing dislodged its place in the market, and its competitors have faced plenty of problems. Pandora is a money-burning machine. I'm not sure if they're still losing money, but they served up a ridiculous amount of ads and still managed to lose money in 2011. Certain musicians are withholding their music from services like Spotify. Grooveshark keeps getting sued. Rhapsody has fared pretty well, but only after buying Napster and coming up with a "music rental" scheme that works on the iPhone and Android. That's not even to mention Sony's attempt to make an iTunes clone that was "phased out" in 2008.

This has all happened before. It's just going to be funnier this time because EA deserves it.

yayodeanno said:
So? Is Origin that different from Steam for instance?
Well, it's backed from Ea instead of Valve, and that alone is a fairly big difference.

Valve "can get away with this" (despise actually being flamed as hell at the beginning of their attempt to introduce Steam) cause they essentially invented this market, they made this when there was no one else doing the same thing.
They won customer's fidelity over time tinkering a great service, delivering outstanding products and pricing them aggressively, treating their user base in a fair way, supporting their titles for very long periods of time, releasing hundreds of free updates, being a very paradigm of the ideal pro-consumer company.
And now they are some sort of institution in PC gaming.

EA, on the other hand... God, do I actually need to explain in any detail why EA can't brag about being as much loved by their customers as Valve?

yayodeanno said:
So? Is Origin that different from Steam for instance?

Origin isn't that bad, but it's another piece of software you need to install to play games. That being said, Steam craps all over it. The reason why EA brought about Origin is because they don't want to pay Valve money to put their games out (no middleman = more profit). What's worse is that they force you to use Origin regardless of if you buy the game retail or digital (again making buying digital more enticing = no middleman = more profit). So even if it was available on steam, they'd still force you to use Origin to play. Lastly, Origin allows them to build in their own DRM. Even though DRM is useless because hackers get around it before the game is even released.

Additionally, if you decide to post on their forum and go on a rage, they can not only ban you from their forums, but they'll also ban you from playing all of your games (single or multiplayer). I've heard about this on the BF3 forums.

I'll still get ME3 since I haven't had really any problems with Origin, but I know I'll stay away from it as much as I can.

AnthonyF1227 said:
Additionally, if you decide to post on their forum and go on a rage, they can not only ban you from their forums, but they'll also ban you from playing all of your games (single or multiplayer). I've heard about this on the BF3 forums.
To sort of borrow a line from "Bambi"
"If you can`t say something nice then we`ll make sure you don`t say nothing at all " LOL

Origins Systems 1992: We create worlds.

Origins from EA 2012: Speak, think and do nothing that we do not wish or what you have paid for will be taken away.

In 20 years Origins has gone from the creative kid making dreams come true, to an autocratic school bully.

The Guardian lives.

Over 6,000 replies over 2 threads since Friday night. I guess hoping to slide in at the end of the news cycle didn't help much.

The few people who are defending Origin on BioWare's site keep making the exact same point, that Origin only used to data-mine your entire PC but now it doesn't because they ran a few process monitors. The problem is that there isn't anything preventing them from doing it again and if it wasn't for the fact that EA's practices turned out to be directly in violation of many German laws they never would have changed there.

Over the last few months every mention of sandboxing Origin has not only been locked but deleted on BioWare's forums so people can't find out about it from their site. Now if EA really had no plans to return to data-mining our PC's why delete information on a legal product that protects against it?

It only means that Origin is highly intrusive instead, and that they are aware of this and they accept this. Do the math yourself.

seamusgod said:
who cares? they sucked way before the origins business even began.

True, I never had to contact customer service so much for a few video games before in my life, In fact I don't think I ever had to aside from their games. ME3 is the last game I buy from them and that's only if I make it to the release date without canceling my pre-order. I should stop looking at their forum thread about Origin if I want to still keep ME3 because their mods are doing everything to misinform. When they started banning people for referring to Sandboxie as "it" to be purposely vague for BioWare's sake I almost canceled right then and there.

When does CDPR come out with another game? I just want to buy a game and play it, not deal with a lot of drama.

Worst thing ever, so you are telling me that Witcher 3 will need online connection and Origin? I hate this, really thats why I avoid EA games. Mass Effect 2 was bad enough with 1000 DLCs, dont tell that this will happen with next Witcher.

Top Bottom