Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
Problem every time I want to instal the patch, it will check mei registration...but everytime i got the massig that I must registrat the game.If I look in my Profil it say that i have done that. So what must I do that I can play the Enhanced Edition Version?sorry for my english I am not very good at it. but I hope you understand.*grins*cu lyraz

Juhu !Now the Installation has been started over the error! I extracted the TWEE_Upgrade.exe as desripted above in Safemode (For the 1.st try without Removal of KAV Files - I have only the Kaspersky Antivirus, not the Internet Security Version). By the way there comes an "unexpected error in next file header, possibly file corrupd" but all files have correct MD5 checksums as posted here on the board. Extracting went on after this message and after rebooting the system in normal mode the Installtion started after closing Kaspersky (before closing it meant, thatthe game is not activated but activation in game is already greyed out)How long will the patch Installation go?... Hmm. Patcher Message says aproximately 2 Hours - First Part is already done, now it installs the language packs ...... And is ready now! I will make a copy of the full witcher folder and then start the Game...Thanks Guy for all your Help - but now the game crashes when it starts back to windows desktop.I have no more patience with that shit - a whole weekend of trouble for this buggy patch on an correct & legal operating system with newest service pack, firewall and antivirus software, actuall drivers an so on and for what? In other games i could see the ending sequence now, but this won't ever start one times ... this is too much.

Eccer said:
Ack :-[ , this is pointless, I guess I have to buy the enhanced edition then :) Which was in my plans aswell. Or i'll wait for a week or two, to see IF, CD project has lifted the damned curse. As to remind you mods, I'm still waiting, and the damn thing still doesn't finish. http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asdasdwp0.jpg
same thing here, it keeps hanging at the modification and basically nothing I can do about it.Is there any troubleshooting for this?EDIT: it finally finished, let it run for a few hours and it suddenly completed.My advice to the game devs (but they obviously know it by know) is speed this process up somehow =)

Aladin101 said:
Aladin101 said:
To the guy who first posted this solution: How, exactly, do you use the Universal extractor? Or better, tell us how you did it.
I can tell you how I used it. 1) Install UniExtract Installer (uniextract15.exe) from http://legroom.net/software/uniextract with default settings (select all ”Add UniExtract to context menu”).2) Right-click on TWEE_Upgrade.exe and select ” UniExtract to subdir”. 3) Choose ”isxunpack extraction” and click OK.4) Place the other patch files in the newly created UniExtract dir, where setup.exe is found (the “Disk1” dir).5) Run setup.exe from the Disk1 dir.That’s it. However, antivirus software can prevent this software from working. It did so with my Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, where I had to boot in safe mode and remove two files from the Kaspersky folder, before UniExtract would work (see my solution earlier in this thread). Other antivirus software may do the same.
This actually worked for me! I think the developers botched creating TWEE_Upgrade.exe because I got this error message after choosing isxunpack extraction:Unexpectable error while reading the next file header..file is corrupded? (bad english translation)and I believe that was on data1.cab if I remember correctly but after a minute or two it still completes the extraction.I ran setup.exe and it works like a charm. So looks like the devs will need to re-release a working patch or just give us a zip of the install directory.

Volgorilla said:
I will make a copy of the full witcher folder and then start the Game...
What do you mean? You don't have to make a copy of any folders. Just start the game normally after the patching is done. Also, did you try to restart your PC after the patch completed?

I know, but on my 1st tries after the catastrophic error my installation was everytimes defect after it so i had to reinstall the game, enter the key and so on. So i made a copy after the next succesfull installation from my complete "the witcher" folder on my games disk so i could try out new workarrounds and postings faster ... its my normal procedure with problematic games or patches.And Yes - i restarted my system, but same ctd error as before.I won't disassemble my whole pc for only one game - other developers do better work, not without bugs - but with less critical bugs, and i have other games on my disk which i can play...

KillerKoala said:
KillerKoala said:
KillerKoala said:
To the guy who first posted this solution: How, exactly, do you use the Universal extractor? Or better, tell us how you did it.
I can tell you how I used it. 1) Install UniExtract Installer (uniextract15.exe) from http://legroom.net/software/uniextract with default settings (select all ”Add UniExtract to context menu”).2) Right-click on TWEE_Upgrade.exe and select ” UniExtract to subdir”. 3) Choose ”isxunpack extraction” and click OK.4) Place the other patch files in the newly created UniExtract dir, where setup.exe is found (the “Disk1” dir).5) Run setup.exe from the Disk1 dir.That’s it. However, antivirus software can prevent this software from working. It did so with my Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, where I had to boot in safe mode and remove two files from the Kaspersky folder, before UniExtract would work (see my solution earlier in this thread). Other antivirus software may do the same.
This actually worked for me! I think the developers botched creating TWEE_Upgrade.exe because I got this error message after choosing isxunpack extraction:Unexpectable error while reading the next file header..file is corrupded? (bad english translation)and I believe that was on data1.cab if I remember correctly but after a minute or two it still completes the extraction.I ran setup.exe and it works like a charm. So looks like the devs will need to re-release a working patch or just give us a zip of the install directory.
Indeed, I think the best route they should take is making an auto extract to a temp folder for the installer instead and then auto running the extracted files, similar to how all my nvidia patches install.

I have been reading this thread since it started and tried everything except the thing with the universal extracter.Now I have my own solution for the Catastrophical error at localizedkey.I formated my disk. :DSet my pc up with WinXP SP3, firefox and installed network drivers.Then I installed the game from dvd, restarted my pc.I registered the game again and oh wonder the patch worked.Funny little thing because the firewall was active the whole time, but anything was not active because the new system. Unfortunately I will never know what.CDRed will know in the near future.... maybe...

Volgorilla said:
I know, but on my 1st tries after the catastrophic error my installation was everytimes defect after it so i had to reinstall the game, enter the key and so on. So i made a copy after the next succesfull installation from my complete "the witcher" folder on my games disk so i could try out new workarrounds and postings faster ... its my normal procedure with problematic games or patches.And Yes - i restarted my system, but same ctd error as before.I won't disassemble my whole pc for only one game - other developers do better work, not without bugs - but with less critical bugs, and i have other games on my disk which i can play...
OK. There are a million possible sources for your crash problem. But one thing you could try (if your not completely fed up with TWEE by now) is to uninstall the game completely and reinstall the basic game from the DVD without any patches. Then try to complete the entire TWEE patching from safe mode. This is how I got it working.

Hi I got the same thing but mine says censered catistrophic error.I you figure it out please let me know thanks 1whitetail@metrocast.net

To mods: I don't know why you merged my post below into this thread. I was trying to help you guys.I originally posted this IN this thread and dozens of posts later it was buried and people were still asking for a solution, being unaware of my post (hence the reason I spent time to post it as a seperate topic)....
FIXED.Solution:Start off installation as normal.Allow connection to net to verify game as normal.After this has verified and the patch is activated, UNPLUG INTERNET CONNECTION & DISABLE FIREWALL.Allow up to 2 hours for patching (go away, do something else, DO NOT USE COMPUTER DURING THIS TIME UNTIL PATCHING COMPLETE)Done.(please could a moderator sticky this)

Hi,I had this error when starting the game after patching to 1.14. It refused to start and I had this on my screen:AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: mss32.dllModVer: 7.0.20.0 Offset: 0001438fI did as suggested by other people. Entered the controlpanel and lowered my audio accelration to None.Guess what it worked GrinJust wanna share that peace of info.Regards, mbj12.
this fixed my game works perfect now!

Hamlindo said:
The 900MB upgrade executable does not display an icon or version information on my machine.
it will, eventually Windows will read it
Hamlindo said:
A day later somewhere in this gawd awful mess of a thread the moderators created someone posted after uninstalling Comodo firewall the patch executable does show an icon.
users creating 30 threads saying that the installation does not work did not help anyone, do remember this is an *unofficial* support forum, if you want to shout at someone *official* do call ATARI
Hamlindo said:
I copied the executable to a virtual machine with a clean install of XP SP2 and it showed an icon and version information. I installed the firewall and anti-virus I use on the main system on that virtual machine and it continued to display an icon and version information. I copied the executable to another virtual machine with XP SP3 and a few small apps (no firewall or anti-virus) and it showed an icon but no version information. I copied it to a virutual machine with a clean install of Vista and it showed an icon and version information. Icon and version information are resources embedded in the executable, the data used to patch the game is held as resources in the executable. If the operating system can't read resources such as icons and version information from the executable it would not be surprising that the executable fails to read resources (using the operating system) needed to patch the game (and gives the crappy Catastrophic Failure error). The fact is the 900MB patch executable is so large or has so many resources or is mal formed in some way that it breaks the operating system's ability to read resources from it for many people's installations.
not a CDP issue, the way Windows extracts resources is something else
Hamlindo said:
Fingers pointing at firewalls and anti-virus are wrong
alot of user installed the patch fine after disabling these, it was mentioned in the FAQ, if you want the FREE patch, is it so hard to disable those for 2minutes ?

Svancara said:
Svancara said:
Ack :-[ , this is pointless, I guess I have to buy the enhanced edition then :) Which was in my plans aswell. Or i'll wait for a week or two, to see IF, CD project has lifted the damned curse. As to remind you mods, I'm still waiting, and the damn thing still doesn't finish. http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asdasdwp0.jpg
same thing here, it keeps hanging at the modification and basically nothing I can do about it.Is there any troubleshooting for this?EDIT: it finally finished, let it run for a few hours and it suddenly completed.My advice to the game devs (but they obviously know it by know) is speed this process up somehow =)
You see... I've been running this for over 15 hours now. I don't think this is normal at all, well i'm glad it worked for you ;)

Since installing the Expanded Edition patch, my performance has been shot. Previously, my game had run perfectly on the high setting at 1280x1024 resolution. Now, my FPS has gone through the floor, even at 1024x768. I've tried reducing settings, to no avail. This only occurs in outdoors area. Additionally, I have encountered an odd graphic bug in which during conversations antialiasing will not work at all, before returning to normal afterwards. Any ideas on how to help?

I've got a problem with installing the patch (1.4): every time I get to the point where the installer checks the registration I get the message that I forst need to register the game...but I have already registered it, a few months ago I guess. I can also log in at The Witcher and have a look at my profile and there it tells me what games I have already registered and that is The Witcher.If I then try to register again I can't get past the second step: every time I enter my login name and the password I get the message: "InternetException, 2" and then it doesn't go on; the same thing happens if i try to enter my e-mail address to get a new password.Does anybody know what to do ?

I downloaded from FileFront and got the same problems. I believe FileFront and FilePlanet are owned by the same parent companies. Needless to say they must have received a bad copy and sent it both sites. Instead I tried FileShack and the patch worked! So I recommend downloading from FileShack. You'll also need to reinstall the game. It unfortunately corrupts files if something happens during installation.

@Eccer: see your Private Messages
ObsoleteResolve said:
If there's any way besides uninstalling the fire-wall/anti-virus to stop it from running in the back ground that'd be a plus.Because, well, uninstalling a firewall for a video game patch is something I'm not likely to do (to put it mildly, and in nice words).
then talk to who made the firewall, since even stopped it filters communications or something
ObsoleteResolve said:
So, this seems to be a .NET issue, possible .NET 3.0 SP2? However, I still cannot install yet...Any suggenstions?
uninstall all .NET versions, reboot, install .NET 1.1/2.0/2.0sp1/3.0 in this order, rebootinstall patch
ObsoleteResolve said:
I've got a problem with installing the patch (1.4): every time I get to the point where the installer checks the registration I get the message that I forst need to register the game...but I have already registered it, a few months ago I guess. I can also log in at The Witcher and have a look at my profile and there it tells me what games I have already registered and that is The Witcher.If I then try to register again I can't get past the second step: every time I enter my login name and the password I get the message: "InternetException, 2" and then it doesn't go on; the same thing happens if i try to enter my e-mail address to get a new password.Does anybody know what to do ?
firewall, antivirus disabled?register every time it wants to, it will work eventually
ObsoleteResolve said:
Since installing the Expanded Edition patch, my performance has been shot. Previously, my game had run perfectly on the high setting at 1280x1024 resolution. Now, my FPS has gone through the floor, even at 1024x768. I've tried reducing settings, to no avail. This only occurs in outdoors area. Additionally, I have encountered an odd graphic bug in which during conversations antialiasing will not work at all, before returning to normal afterwards. Any ideas on how to help?
did you change something else in the mean time?

Yes I have deactived my firewall and I do not have any antiviurs software, I even unistalled my firewall; well now I can at least register again, I logged in with Internet Explorer, before I was tryin to do it with firefox.But I still get the message that have to register the game although I have now registered it TWICE. What can I do ?

Top Bottom