Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
I solved the problem by UNINSTALLING the anti-virus program (in my case, panda av).Note that turning it off wont work. REMOVE IT. Run the patch and reinstall the avI was quite upset with this catastrophic failure error stuff. But now it's ok.

evilsquirrel said:
i'm getting that infamous catastrophic failure error when trying to install the 1.4 EE patch on my copy of the witcher. i'm over in canada, already went through the getting a cd key. anyways i've read the FAQ and no luck. my ani-virus (NOD32 2.5) has been uninstalled for now, virtual drives have been disabled, and even tried installing under safe mode. i keep getting the same crap.
the smelly kitten might me at... wait.... :)tried the unpacker trick too? :hmmm:

After spending the whole afternoon downloading all that the game kept telling me that i needed, I still cant figure out why im not able to install the new patches. Currently im running the first version of the game. V1.01.10.01 or something. I have downloaded all the patches (which i couldnt even find on the www.thewitcher.com page due to a constant blank page) When i tried to download the 1.3 patch first it worked, so i thought. I tried running the game afterwards and it sent me a windows error. So i uninstalled the game and reinstalled trying the v1.4 (TWEE_Upgrade.exe) file. It said i couldnt install it until i had the languange installer. So then i downloaded it. Tried to run the language installer and it said that i had to have the v1.4....so im completely confused. Someone please help me. I hate playing on the base versions.*** Now i have put the files in the same directory and i still cant get the game to install. It keeps getting stuck on the installation process and keeps saying Catastrophic Failure. PLEASE HELP.*** The file name it keeps getting stuck on is - C:/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/Localized.key. PLEASE HELP

i dunno if it may help, but i got my patches installing ok when i downgraded my microsoft .net framework from 3.5 sp2 to 3.0 basic (no service pack). kinda weird having to downgrade and close security software just for patching a game but it worked for patching.... but on my end the game still won't start.

brandontdye said:
*** The file name it keeps getting stuck on is - C:/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/Localized.key. PLEASE HELP
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and try some of those tips, detail what you've tried already

I have just recently bought you great game The Witcher and i am still learning the ropes, but I know I will like it because I loved the demo.The version I purchased is the Australian 1.4 Enhanced, but this is where my confusion starts. Sorry.Of course i want to make sure I have the most current version and so i followed the "Update" button in the games flash screen and this pointed me to a file that is 371MB download. So I downloaded it and installed it. This then updates my readme to v1.5, however, when I turn of full screen it still shows my game as version 1.4.5.1280 and there is no mention of it being the Directors Cut.I then went looking around and since this i have found three other patches called the same and yet all are different sizes.One is 909.59MB here.... http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Fabularne-RPG-THE_WITCHER_Wiedzmin_ENHANCED_EDITION/4432One is 368MBhere... http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=&sys=pc&file=thewitcherpatch.1.5.zip&ref=psand one at 308.65MBhere... http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/46032As you clearly see each is considerable different in file size and now I am now totall confused as to which one I need especially as you own game installer gave me a completely different one.Please I beseech you, tell me which is the one/ones I need to make my game v1.5 Directors Cut?Secondly, I have read your threads on the EAX issue and i have followed the manual fix for this as explained below...
Turns out this is the Miles Sound System module, and apparently the game is crashing because EAX is enabled. There's a quick way to turn off EAX and get back into the game (note: this has only been tested with Windows XP):1) From the start menu, select run, and then type DXDIAG.2) Select the "Sound" tab.3) Move the sound hardware acceleration selector down a notch from "full" to "standard" acceleration. Click exit.4) Launch the game.
This has fixed the issue i had with this offset and my EAX option in the games menus are now greyed out, but the game does work.This then raises two questions...Does the v1.5 patch fix this glitch?orDo I need to install the extra patch I found here?"The Witcher Enhanced Edition EAX hotfix"http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?action=post;board=14.0I am really biting at the bit to get into this game but I want to be sure I am actually getting the complete experience first, so could i get an official response to my questions so that i can be sure this is what i will get.many, many Thanks in advance.AusROM

AusROM said:
The version I purchased is the Australian 1.4 Enhanced, but this is where my confusion starts. Sorry.
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 it's all there :beer:

ahhh I see now, thankyou.I have now got version 1.4.5.1304 which I know understand is the 1.5 Enhanced. Seeing 1.4.5 is what confused me, I was looking for 1.5.***.All I have to do now is download the Directors Cut patch of 295mb.Many thanks for the heads up.My mistake was looking for a patch that did both v1.5 and Directors Cut all in one package.I still have one other question though.Does the 1.5 patch or Directors Cut fix the EAX bug?AusROM

I have installed The Witcher 1.0 out of the Box. Now i want to upgrade to 1.4 and later to 1.5. Everything is downloaded and the Game is registered.During the Installation after confirming my registration there pops up a error message:Feature transfer error.Feature: Not CensoredComponent: File:Error: Schwerwiegender FehlerThe file in the Box written is ..\The Witcher\Data\localized.keyIt's not possible to go on and after restart the same problem. I already switched off firewall and anti virus software.Does anybody know how to solve this problem?It's really bad, i can't install and play the EE version.Thank you.SophisTCatR

well i've been scouring the forums for a fix for this error but have so far found nothing that works. i've read all the faq's and solutions people have posted but none seem to work. so here is the specific error message i'm getting.>SetupNew\setup.cpp (138)PAPP:pVENDOR:pGUID:$@Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (6002) Non IE/Netscape 28172.30474Note: I have the orginal copy 1.0 of The Witcher and I have patch 1.3 installed. and both the TWEE and language pack in the same directory. any suggestions?

Hazaroth said:
well i've been scouring the forums for a fix for this error but have so far found nothing that works. i've read all the faq's and solutions people have posted but none seem to work. so here is the specific error message i'm getting.>SetupNew\setup.cpp (138)PAPP:pVENDOR:pGUID:$@Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (6002) Non IE/Netscape 28172.30474Note: I have the orginal copy 1.0 of The Witcher and I have patch 1.3 installed. and both the TWEE and language pack in the same directory. any suggestions?
do list what you've tried already

brandontdye said:
After spending the whole afternoon downloading all that the game kept telling me that i needed, I still cant figure out why im not able to install the new patches. Currently im running the first version of the game. V1.01.10.01 or something. I have downloaded all the patches (which i couldnt even find on the www.thewitcher.com page due to a constant blank page) When i tried to download the 1.3 patch first it worked, so i thought. I tried running the game afterwards and it sent me a windows error. So i uninstalled the game and reinstalled trying the v1.4 (TWEE_Upgrade.exe) file. It said i couldnt install it until i had the languange installer. So then i downloaded it. Tried to run the language installer and it said that i had to have the v1.4....so im completely confused. Someone please help me. I hate playing on the base versions.*** Now i have put the files in the same directory and i still cant get the game to install. It keeps getting stuck on the installation process and keeps saying Catastrophic Failure. PLEASE HELP.*** The file name it keeps getting stuck on is - C:/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/Localized.key. PLEASE HELP
I'm having the EXACT same experience. Have you had any luck? I've tried EVERYTHING that has been suggested, to no avail. Including:
  • Uninstalling all antivirus/antispyware and virtual drive programs
  • Uninstalling all versions of .NET and reinstalling just the listed versions
  • Tried the patch under regular conditions and safe mode
  • Tried the extraction process using both Universal Extractor and the command line (both just create a folder with CAB files in it...no SETUP.EXE as specified)
I have the language installer in the same folder as the upgrade file. I'm running XP Home SP3. This is the worst installation process I've ever experienced. From having to download some language file (not to mention having to worry about what folder it's in), to the constant errors. What gives?

mbrown3 said:
I'm having the EXACT same experience. Have you had any luck? I've tried EVERYTHING that has been suggested, to no avail. Including:
  • Tried the extraction process using both Universal Extractor and the command line (both just create a folder with CAB files in it...no SETUP.EXE as specified)
I have the language installer in the same folder as the upgrade file. I'm running XP Home SP3. This is the worst installation process I've ever experienced. From having to download some language file (not to mention having to worry about what folder it's in), to the constant errors. What gives?
maybe the UniExtract process failed, did you wait enough time for the extracting process to end?there must be a SETUP.EXE there

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
maybe the UniExtract process failed, did you wait enough time for the extracting process to end?there must be a SETUP.EXE there
Yep, I waited until the blue bar finished (with the universal extractor), but to no avail. Let me ask this: which option should I select in Universal Extractor? It gives three. I've tried them all, but perhaps after running one, the other two won't work properly?

Hello,Has there been a solution for the patch 1.4 installation problem where it crashes when it gets to the localized.key? I am running XP professional SP3, dual core processors, SLI nvidia graphics cards 4Gb of RAM. I have checked the downloads check sums to verify that they are not corrupt. I have searched and cannot find a solution that works.

Swiftfoilist said:
Hello,Has there been a solution for the patch 1.4 installation problem where it crashes when it gets to the localized.key? I am running XP professional SP3, dual core processors, SLI nvidia graphics cards 4Gb of RAM. I have checked the downloads check sums to verify that they are not corrupt. I have searched and cannot find a solution that works.
I have the same specs. I submitted a support request to Atari, but haven't heard anything back yet. Good luck.

Hi, I just purchased the original version of this game and am trying to update it to EE and then DC on W7 x64 - however, I am running into some difficulties:I have downloaded the official installer for v1.4, as well as the English language pack. They are both located in the same directory, as pointed out in the FAQ.I have registered my game, and when installing the path (after the registration check), I get an error stating: "The language pack corresponding to the language version of the game already on your system was not found..." - and I have to exit the installer.If I try and install the language pack first, I can't because it doesn't see the 1.4 patch as being installed, I am basically running around in circles.I have tried to search for the problem, with no avail, as well as reinstall the game and redownload my patches, nothing works.I am very excited for this game, I just built a new computer, but I keep hitting this roadblockAny help would be greatly appreciated!Nevermind, I just figured it out. I had renamed my files to keep them all straight! Changed them back to their original name, and it works fine!~AB

Top Bottom