Fallout 4

+
because beating a dead horse is one of my favorite things to do
A little offtop, but this reminded me of funny text I saw some time ago:
Old wisdom says that when we discover that the horse we ride is dead, the best option is to get off of it. However, in business they are also known other strategies. Among others:
1. Buying a stronger whip.
2. Change the rider.
3. Declarations like: "we always rode in this way on the horse."
4. Convening a commission to examine the horse.
5. Organize a delegation to verify, how others are riding a dead horse.
6. Develop standards for riding dead horses.
7. Employment of psychologist to restore a dead horses wish to ride.
8. Training for employees, aiming to raise their riding abilities.
9. Analysis of the dead horses in today's environment.
10. Change of standards, which will make the horse has not been declared dead.
11. Employment sub-contractors having to ride dead horse.
12. Gathering many dead horses for increased speed.
13. The announcement that no horse is too dead.
14. Allocation of additional measures to increase the performance of the horse.
15. Conducting a market analysis to check if any subcontractors are able to ride this horse cheaper.
16. Buying a product intended to make the dead horse running faster.
17. The announcement that the horse is now better, cheaper and faster.
18. Conducting research on ways of using dead horses.
19. Adjust the performance requirements for horses.
20. The announcement that during the production of this horse, the cost was exogenous.
21. Recognition of the current state of the horse as a standard.
22. Advancing the horse to a managerial position.

This is also the first Fallout game where you can romance a household robot.

Though my initial reaction was completely the same I learned yesterday that

you can actually transfer Curie's mind into a generation 3 synth. That reminds me of two things: Skynet and the undead wife from Larian's Divinity: Dragon Commander (you could find a spell to make her human). I am considering romancing her in my second playthrough with no vacuum cleaners involved.

Oh and here is a picture of her

A little offtop, but this reminded me of funny text I saw some time ago:
beleive it or not, i did study all what you mentionned in the engineering school i was in XD
a dead horse is never dead unless it's super dead.

---------- Updated at 10:52 AM ----------

now on topic, super bunnyhop wants to see another fallout by Obsidian like New Vegas or even like the first two fallout games:

---------- Updated at 09:59 PM ----------

Fallout 4 is a truly nice game, I would recommend it.
It has nice roleplay elements, great postapocalyptic atmosphere, and the graphics looks decent.

You can use Mechs like in Mechwarrior even with Cockpit view:

It`s a combination of Command & Conquer and Sims 3 which means you can build a fortified house with walls and automatic cannons if you like and craft almost everything in there like MacGyver :)

The best thing is that Fallout 4 has this fine robot and Terminator theme.
The main enemys in Fallout 4 are crazy raider cannibals and cyborgs and Terminators and no longer boring stupid political fractions against clichè gangster-like and revolver outlaw enemy types like New Vegas had, but more creepy and crazy and way more interesting classic "survival horror game" type enemys - cannibals and raiders, monsters, robots/cyborgs and zombies of all kind.

And you have something I wanted to have forever in Witcher 3, a Wolf as some companion animal on my side...
Meet Woolfie (he`s modded with other colors and other eyes to make him look like a wolf).

Witcher is 10/10 but Fallout 4 is great too, the faces don`t look like wax (but they did in some alpha and beta footage videos but they have implemented way more realistic face textures, it is exciting and creepy gameplay, the graphics is really nice and detailed and wastelandy.
I would give it a 8/10.
The NPC characters you will meet are not that interesting like they are in Witcher 3, no bloody baron no crownes no other really exciting people but just rather shallow and boring survivors, that`s the only negative thing about this game. But on the other hand it`s not a fantasy game there are no witches no godlings and no stuff like that :D just some guys who want something to eat and a gun to survive in the wastelands.

Oh and the best thing is, you can type in any name for your character and you will be called by your own name from other NPC`s:

And of course to honour Witcher 3 the best game ever made your char and even your dog should have the iconic face scar :D

Attachments

• Fallout4 2015-11-28 22-35-23-963.jpg
    Fallout4 2015-11-28 22-35-23-963.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Fallout4 2015-12-01 18-01-57-854.jpg
    Fallout4 2015-12-01 18-01-57-854.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Fallout4 2015-12-01 19-05-26-373.jpg
    Fallout4 2015-12-01 19-05-26-373.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 159
  • Fallout4 2015-11-25 22-06-31-660.jpg
    Fallout4 2015-11-25 22-06-31-660.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 159
  • Fallout4 2015-11-27 17-28-03-626.jpg
    Fallout4 2015-11-27 17-28-03-626.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I'm done with the game. Not finished mind you, I just can't play it anymore. A huge disappointment and deserving of its cold shoulder at VGA.

It`s really a nice game for foggy November and December evenings :) everyone should at least try it. I am currently playing Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 and Fallout has a nice and unique atmosphere and mood.
It is not comparable with Witcher 3, Fallout is some kind of postapocalyptic survival.

postapocalyptic action

There, fixed it :) For the love of me, I can't find any kind of survival aspect in the game. And after playing New Vegas in hardcore mode (with food, water and sleep needs) this just feels too much "hack'n'slash". Horrible quest design and writing does not help either...

good game, interesting, but I can't believe how bad the graphics are, too low resolution and detail, this graphics were ok 6 years ago, not in 2015

good game, interesting, but I can't believe how bad the graphics are, too low resolution and detail, this graphics were ok 6 years ago, not in 2015

Well, to be perfectly cynical about it, the Bethesda Fallouts are not about state-of-the-art graphics, they're not about stories that invite comparison to The Road or Book of Eli, they're about being able to craft a rifle that pelts your enemies with teddy bears. And at that, they succeed admirably.

It`s really a nice game for foggy November and December evenings :) everyone should at least try it. I am currently playing Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 and Fallout has a nice and unique atmosphere and mood.
It is not comparable with Witcher 3, Fallout is some kind of postapocalyptic survival.

I think we probably all know what Fallout is about. ;)
Shame that Bethesda doesn't.

...there could be some energy drinks in these aluminium cans. Energy drinks and chocolate are essential for pure survival - otherwise one might fall asleep and never wake up again because of a lack of caffeine.

As I was sitting here with an Irish beer watching the credits of Fallout 4, I thought of making a wrap up post. Though most users of this forum do not enjoy the game I none the less spend 88h in the Commonwealth - and a post discussing actual gaming experience and not another review could be nice for a change.

Since I have completed the game it will be spoiler heavy. I will try to tag story spoilers but one month after release gameplay spoilers won't be tagged.

As a big Brotherhood of Steel fanboy since I was a fourteen year old sneaking through the house of my parents to play Fallout 1 the whole night, I made my faction choice before I even started the game. This was a mistake. Though I still love the brotherhood
and now adult Squire/Elder Maxson as its leader, it would not be the faction I aligned with knowing the rest of the game. I mentioned earlier that they redid the BoS entirely after Fallout 3. But most of their choices where not for the sake of recovering technology, but simply to follow Maxsons hateorade train of thought. Okay the guy is only 20 and has seen shit, but man does he have an anger problem. Especially after you are forced "to deal" with the other factions you are on a one way trail to become a mass murderer.

Speaking of the factions: During your time in the main quest you kind of have to do quests for all of the main 3 factions (not counting the Minutemen as a main faction). It reminded me of Skyrim when you have to join the Thieves Guild to explore the catacombs. One reason to do so is convenience. You can
simply wait when you have to deal with the Railroad or the Institute in the main quest line and not murder them on your first chance. That way you even get Brotherhood support during your extermination run. Oh and speaking of convenience: The Railroad is the only way to get ballistic weave armor. To put it simply: With this stuff your body and head armor nearly come close to Power armor. And when you mod your under armor with it and put on some heavy or sturdy combat armor above it your nearly take no damage at all.
But it feels like I play some Stormcloak quests and a bit of the Legion story to ally with one of them at the end.

But now some parts that I really liked. It not news that Fallout 4 "borrowed" heavily from other franchises. Borderlands Legendary guns were in for itself a mixed bag. But after some grinding I found a minigun that added explosive aoe damage. And since I stored all 5mm ammo up to the point I get level 4 gun mods I made more damage in the last 4h of the game as a well known patriotic robot from Fallout 3.

Oh and environmental-wise
The institute reminded me of George Lucas THX. The film not the sound standard. Its music and design also had elements of Mass Effects Citadel.

Some of the side quests were really well done. With some I don't mean the radiant quests trash but stuff you only find through exploration:
Cabot house quests and the USS Constitution were my favorites

So were does this leave me? I enjoyed my time, but moreover I am happy that I finshed the game for now. To increase replay value I will wait till at least the first dlc will hit. I played it in vanilla (30 minutes after I finished the game it installed the first patch and I did not opt in for beta patches before). Until then I am done with the game

Ad Victoriam.

Though my initial reaction was completely the same I learned yesterday that

you can actually transfer Curie's mind into a generation 3 synth. That reminds me of two things: Skynet and the undead wife from Larian's Divinity: Dragon Commander (you could find a spell to make her human). I am considering romancing her in my second playthrough with no vacuum cleaners involved.

Oh and here is a picture of her

I'm almost inclined to put a picture of "something fairly obvious that would get me in trouble with moderation" here. :p

Jokes aside, yeah, I've heard of that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More on the topic...

I was critical of the game before it got released, and none of that has really changed. Everything I hoped Beth would improve from Fallout 3 was improved (barring the new dialog- and skill systems), but... in a completely opposite manner of what I had hoped for. It's almost like they read my mind and thought, let's make Fallout a game this guiy can not stand as a series title. :hrhr:

It oozes haphazard mediocrity and not "getting" Fallout (and apparently not even wanting to make an RPG of it anymore, or as little as possible) in all but environmental design. All the series famous landmarks are gone (far further than even in Fallout 3 -- which I honestly thought was next to an impossible achievement) apart from a list of familiar names and a mascot. An open world shooter that loses sorely to it's contemporaries past and present, and which tries to manipulate the interest rate with very-soon-to-be-discovered-as artificial and largely meaningless busywork features (it's a junk collectors and tinkerers dream, though, that much can be given).

It's good that titles like this are finally starting to get criticism from more people, including the journos. Maybe it has an effect further down the line. Maybe there is still hope -- not much, but even a bit would be welcome. What ever CDPR intends with Cyberpunk 2077 or what ever other buns they might have or be planning to put in the over, I hope they don't look this as other than a cautionary example of what to avoid.

With all that unmoderated vitriol and heartburn, I'm going to give this shit a pass. Thank you very much. :cheers2: Maybe there's some day a "twice in a blue moon" incident, and Obsidian gets to tackle another game and surprises me.

Last edited:
I think we can just agree to disagree.

But you got me intrigued: Could you please send me the picture you are talking about as a pm?

well, that was quick !
apparently, Bethesda released new updates for FO 4, and each one of them disabled the modsupport:http://www.dsogaming.com/news/fallo...ort-temporary-workaround-found/#disqus_thread
while the author thinks this is an accident, the readers think overwise.
not only do they think they did it on purpose, but also because there are rumors brewing about bethesda selling mods via steam and bethesda's digital store.

Last edited:
Top Bottom