Fantasy or Sci-fi/Cyberpunk setting?

+

• Total voters

So I was been thinking... and I have simple question for all of you ( I will post it on Cyberpunk forum as well if someone is using only Cyberpunk forum still).

Which setting you like more to watch/read/play... Fantasy or Sci-fi/Cyberpunk?... or do you prefer only Sci-fi / only Cyberpunk?. And from the start I would say that I thank you for all the votes and posts which you will add here...you're helping me a lot.

yours truly Damariel Alunnar.

I really am sitting on the fence with this one.

But it's an electrostatic fence, with heads on spikes, and an old-timey moat :p

In reality I probably read more fantasy, and watch more sci-fi, or to put it differently I can tolerate bad fantasy books and bad sci-fi shows more than the other way around.

I'm with Kudos as I tend to watch more science fiction and read fantasy although I have strayed to The Complete Works of Shakespeare; Yale version. I like plays.

"Hense! home, you idle creatures, get you home:
Is this a holiday? What? know you not,
Being mechanical, you ought not walk
Upon a laboring day without the sign
Of your profession? Speak, what trade art though?

excerpt: The Tragedy of Julius Caesar

I love Fantasy themed mediums in general, it brings out the child in me. Sci-Fi comes second. Cyber Punk, so so.

I like fantasy games, but I have a greater liking for sci-fi writing.

"Know then thyself, presume not God to scan/The proper study of Mankind is Man." I'm most attracted to books that tackle the question of what it means to be human and a moral agent in a world that is alien to us; and in the case of cyberpunk, has blurred the distinction between man and machine.

For me it is simple - fantasy, and preferably dark fantasy. I used to like sci-fi books long time ago, but now I do not care for any sci-fi or cyberpunk stuff. Bit it is only about preferences in settings. The story itself is much more important, and as long as it is great, I will enjoy it in any settings. If a story is bad, no settings can save the game for me.

Same as Guy here. I read way more sci fi and other kinds of fiction than medieval fantasy, and play a bunch of fantasy games.

In my experience, most techy sci fi PC games have poor or uninformed stories (look at those ridiculous hacking minigames), while some medieval fantasy games are quite good. And let's face it: most fantasy authors are pretty bad.

I'd like to see a game based on a linguistic, philosophical or metamathematical fictional setting inspired by Borges someday.

Last edited:
So long as it's good I don't care, background and setting can add a lot and help develop themes but a good author can make anything spring to life and enthrall you, same as in a movie or pen and paper game. Sorry for the lack of a definite answer. I do tend to play more fantasy but that's simply because there's a lot more about on PC, since in the beginning that's all there was really.

I prefer sci-fi over fantasy, simply because there are too many fantasy games out there.
It feels like so much has already been done in the fantasy genre and that sci-fi leaves more space for creativity.

But I'd take a Witcher game over any other game anytime, because I love the story and lore of the Witcher.

My biggest wish has been alway a game, which is from medieval ages without any magic, fantasy elements and crap like that. So the Kingdom Come: Deliverance is my dream come true and, after the witcher 3, my most anticipated game ever. On top of that it is made by Prague studio. I live near Prague and study there, so it must be destiny or what.:)

There is no compressing which setting has more possibilites. As artist you can come up with new monsters, tales, magic, spells or prophecy and no one will question you. fantasy has more freedom.

Everyone dreams about killing 20 monsters with sword and rescuing princess etc, let's just say it wouldnt be as so possible in year 2433 when everyone is as smart or smarter then you.. Fantasy let people run away from reality and dream about being who ever you want to be. People like easy victories and stupid enemies. Think slow zombies and opponents that never block your attacks. Sci-fi and Cyberpunk is more based on reality and current state of the world like politics and money.

I prefor Sci-fi/Cyberpunk just becasue I am looking forward to see the future brings.

Last edited:
I also like fantasy that turns fantasy tropes upside down. Whatever you think of Orson Scott Card's politics (and what I think isn't printable here), stories like "The Bully and the Beast" shake up the pat answers to what is Good, Brave, Evil, or Wise the same way the first Witcher game does.

“They’re so brave," she said.
"They’re all dead."
"Only a coward would think of that," she said scornfully.

they're both alright in film or literature. in games, i don't care for them. i think all of gaming is striving towards a perfect simulacrum of reality. any game that isn't a part of that process is just getting in the way.

Sci-fi (as a whole, that includes steampunk and cyberpunk) wins from fantasy in my books, but only by a small margin. I really love fantasy, but I absolutely hate cliché high-fantasy.

Sci-fi, I like almost all of it. Hard sci-fi or soft sci-fi, steampunk, retro sci-fi, cyberpunk, all that stuff, I love all of it.

Last edited:

Guest 3765545

Fantasy settings it's my favorite for the games & movies

Fantasy is my favourite setting for books/games/tv shows/movies etc. I love everything about it. I know the romanticism of the medieval times is usually a bit over the top, buuuuut i love it! I'd pick fantasy over any other genre, I find it the most interesting and entertaining by far.

The one where all of those three genders appears. The only requirement? The result must to be intelligent, credible and immersive. as the final user must be able to have a smart and naif open mind in the moment of reading, playing, watching it.

Brief: If communion is perfect who cares gender?

The one where all of those three genders styles appears. The only requirement? The result must to be intelligent, credible and immersive. as the final user must be able to have a smart and naif open mind in the moment of reading, playing, watching it.

Brief: If communion is perfect who cares gender style?

Last edited:
The one where all of those three genders appears. The only requirement? The result must to be intelligent, credible and immersive. as the final user must be able to have a smart and naif open mind in the moment of reading, playing, watching it.

Brief: If communion is perfect who cares gender?

Top Bottom