Flaws of the Witcher 2. (minor spoiler)

+
Flaws of the Witcher 2. (minor spoiler)

I'm a huge fan of CDProjekt and The Witcher series. However, there were some things in the game that I absolutely hated.

1. Iorveth vs Roche faceoff

It did not make an ounce of sense. I don't even know why this giant plot hole was even there in the first place. What's worse: Roche told me that he let Iorveth live before starting the flashback. In the flashback, Roche lost and Iorveth let him go. lol

2. Cut-scene death in discordance with Geralt's ability.

Geralt can use a sign to shrug off couple of arrows. Why does he die without using this ability in cut-scene death? I'm OK with cut-scene death, but how Geralt dies helplessly without any resistance is rather silly. He should parry couple arrows and use sign to reflect others before being overwhelmed to death in cut-scenes.

3. Rolling

It's simply unrealistic and gamey. Timed blocking and sidestepping should be preferred to rolling tactics in combats.

4. Lack of fast Travel

As much as I love old school RPGs, there are improvements that modern RPGs have intorudced. There is no point in backtracking between the same locations over and over.

5,. more meaningful conversation

the writing in WT2 was excellent(not so much in TW1). CDprojekt should highlight this strength by having more dialogues like the one you had with Baron Kimbolt in act 3 of TW2. There are too few chances for the writing to shine in the game.

I'm actively avoiding informations regarding TW3 in order to avoid spoilers, but I hope these things have been fixed.

Last edited:
About rolling, if it bothers you, take a look at this mod.

Fast travel is not so critical, since maps in the Witcher 2 are relatively small. Witcher 3 will address that issue.

Last edited:
Is Triss a B-word?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmbAIRgS9x8

She is like: "You are not cool enough to be my lover. You deserve to die for losing a fist fight."

While I admire TW2 for great writings and story, Roche-Iorveth faceoff and cut-scene deaths make me facepalm every time I see those. The scene should have gone as the following: Triss cuts the rope, Geralt fights bare handed, then town guards pour in to eventually overwhelm them and kill both instead of Triss facepalming when her boyfriend is about to die.

What do you call "cut-scene deaths" (besides the video above)? The only other place I think is when Ves shoots Geralt in the prologue.

Last edited:
What you do call "cut-scene deaths" (besides the video above)? The only other place I think is when Ves shoots Geralt in the prologue.

Breaking laws and killing all the guards in the vicinity leads to a cut-scene where Geralt is killed by several arrows helplessly without using the protecting sign or parrying arrows.

The same thing happens when you get caught while trying to sneak into Hansalt's camp. In both cases Geralt offers no resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmbAIRgS9x8

She is like: "You are not cool enough to be my lover. You deserve to die for losing a fist fight."

While I admire TW2 for great writings and story, Roche-Iorveth faceoff and cut-scene deaths make me facepalm every time I see those. The scene should have gone as the following: Triss cuts the rope, Geralt fights bare handed, then town guards pour in to eventually overwhelm them and kill both instead of Triss facepalming when her boyfriend is about to die.

This appears to be a continuation of a thread you've already started, so is merged in.

I'm a huge fan of CDProjekt and The Witcher series. However, there were some things in the game that I absolutely hated.

1. Iorveth vs Roche faceoff

It did not make an ounce of sense. I don't even know why this giant plot hole was even there in the first place. What's worse: Roche told me that he let Iorveth live before starting the flashback. In the flashback, Roche lost and Iorveth let him go. lol

He was embarrassed that Iorveth beat him - didn't want to admit he lost, nothing strange about that. You can defeat Iorveth you know.

I can agree with your first three points (although I forgive CDPR for the rolling because it was their first attempt at an action-game.) But I strongly disagree with these two points.

4. Lack of fast TravelAs much as I love old school RPGs, there are improvements that modern RPGs have intorudced. There is no point in backtracking between the same locations over and over.
The zones in Witcher 2 are small enough as it is. Adding fast-travel would take too much away from the immersion of the game. You wouldn't hear the excellent ambient dialogue from NPCs as you're traveling from place to place. A lot of that dialogue is extremely well written and it's one of the things that sets The Witcher apart from other modern RPGs in my opinion.

the writing in WT2 was excellent(not so much in TW1).
In my opinion the writing in Witcher 1 was significantly better. Then again people oftentimes use the word "writing" to mean different things. I use "writing" to mean how an author uses subtlety (mostly word choice) to illustrate themes in the story and tiny details about various characters' personalities. In my opinion TW1 did this much better than TW2. But a lot of it was in the conversations you had with side-characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom