Fps Problem With Radeon Rx 5700

+
Hello. I have bought all of 3 games from steam (just finished the first game in which there was also a problem with the graphics that i managed to solve with the help from a mod on this forum) and now i have a problem with very low fps in game at any graphical settings. At ultra the max fps are around 60 and most times is around 15-27 and drops below 10 especially when i turn the camera. The problem is not that bad at lower settings - low and medium settings i have max 120 fps, most time 25-40 with many drops. As you understand it gets really frustrating and almost unplayable. My specs are Ryzen 5 3600 and Sapphire Pulse Rx 5700. i haven't used any mod or anything else, just the installation that steam did. Ubersampling is off. I searched a little around the internet and saw many other people with rx 5700s have similar problems, so i assume the fault is again at amds side. Is there a known fix about the issue or any idea-recomendation on how to solve it? I also checked Witcher 3 and it runs fine in ultra settings 70-90fps without any drops.

I‘d recommend checking out some of the existing threads with similar issues, for example:

In general, it seems best to limit the framerate to 48 fps (as explained in both threads).

I'm using a Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ and have exactly the same problem. Huge FPS drops (from 100+ to 10 FPS). Happens regardless of settings (Low or Ultra). It's worse on higher settings, but still unplayable on Low.

The problem becomes very noticeable as soon as you arrive in King Foltest's Camp. As soon as you turn towards the tent entrance to leave the tent, the FPS tanks. Looking at a group of NPCs seems to really hit the FPS hard.

I still have my old GTX 970, so I swapped cards to test. No such problems on the 970.

Same as the original poster, Witcher 3 runs perfectly on the 5700 XT max settings.

I've submitted a ticket to AMD as well to report this.

I have tried almost every suggested solution i found online but nothing seems to be working. The only thing that i havent tried yet is limiting the fps to 40 which for some reason i cant find how to do it :p. I will probably submit a ticket to amd too and lets hope they will do something about it. The sad thing is that i want to play this game before The Witcher 3 , so i guess i will probably have to wait for a solution ...

The only thing that i havent tried yet is limiting the fps to 40 which for some reason i cant find how to do it :p.

To limit the fps to 48 you need to manually edit the user.settings file of The Witcher 3 as mentioned in both threads. You can open and edit it with Windows notepad or other text editors. It should be somewhere here: “...\Documents\The Witcher 3“

@devivre I think there is some confusion here. The FPS limit workaround was/is for The Witcher 3. I'm not even aware of a way you can limit the FPS in The Witcher 2 in the User.ini aside from Vsync.

Right, I was so used to only reading about the fps issues in connection to TW3 that I missed that. My bad.

Anyhow. In that case experimenting with the vsync settings is definitely worth a try. Also maybe close background applications with overlay feature.

If you have a computer with 2 GPUs and one of them is an integrated one, make sure the game isn’t using the integrated graphics card.

And avoid overclocking your hardware.

I am having this same issue with the witcher 2. I bought all 3, got through TW1 quickly after tweaking a bunch of settings to get the mixed up menu bug fixed. I Started TW2 and got huge problems leaving the tent in foltest's camp. The game is unplayable. My pc should be able to crush this game on 1440p ultra settings. r9 3900x gigabyte aorus extreme, 32gb 3600mhz memory, and gigabyte 5700xt gaming oc. You guys and AMD need to get this issue resolved soon because a lot of people are purchasing these games because they have been on sale and TW series is getting people hyped about this series. Please fix this soon. Not going to Start TW3 till TW2 issues are resolved and i can play that.
Post automatically merged:

I sent a ticket to AMD also.

So, following a suggestion on Reddit to try using d9vk has made the game playable for me on Ultra.

Download d9vk-0.40.1.tar.gz from: https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk/releases/tag/0.40.1
Extract the contents of the x32 folder into your witcher2/bin folder.

This makes the game use Vulkan instead of DirectX 9. It does have performance overhead, so while it makes the game very playable, the FPS isn't as good as if it were straight DirectX 9.
i follow this "guide" and now the game don't even start..
i don't know if this viable with windows (i read similar procedure with wine thus linux).. i've already sent ticket to amd but i'm also looking an used nvidia gtx/rtx card.. really disappointed from amd. I've always used nvidia from 560 ti, 970 and then 1070 without any problems. Bought this 5700xt pulse and many problems with many games starts.. this is very bad!

Last edited:
i follow this "guide" and now the game don't even start..
i don't know if this viable with windows (i read similar procedure with wine thus linux).. i've already sent ticket to amd but i'm also looking an used nvidia gtx/rtx card.. really disappointed from amd. I've always used nvidia from 560 ti, 970 and then 1070 without any problems. Bought this 5700xt pulse and many problems with many games starts.. this is very bad!

This is to be expected when trying to run an older game on hardware / drivers / operating systems that did not exist when the game was being made. Backwards compatibility can only go so far.

It is the reality of PC gaming that it falls on the player to configure their system to each title in order to get the maximum level of performance it can provide. As it has always been. For brand new hardware, especially, it's always safer to expect that it will not cooperate nicely with older titles. It takes time for drivers to get sorted out for new architectures and rendering techniques, get the APIs sorted, etc. (One thing I always recommend is to always buy the best model of the prior generation of GPUs and CPUs. Stuff that has just been released will most likely be functional, but somewhere between problematic and a hot mess for at least a year or two afterward. Not that it won't work at all, but it may take more fiddling and tweaking to get it there.)

This is to be expected when trying to run an older game on hardware / drivers / operating systems that did not exist when the game was being made. Backwards compatibility can only go so far.
but i don't understand why the new rtx (2070 and 2080) can run this "old" game at 4k max setting without problems (there are many videos on youtube).. my new 5700xt pulse instead return me an unplayable game 20-30 with fps drops at 1080p.. also rtx did not exist when the game was being made. I wait another couple of driver releases hoping that situation change in better...

Top Bottom