Freddybabes video on what he doesn't like about homecoming

+

Glad he made this video and hope the devs are listening.

I am surprised about multiple parts of homecoming but how they developed reveal is one that is most surprising to me. I could have swore they said they wanted to make the game less about RNG but reveal appears to have RNG deeply built into it. Why????

And the part about game punishing you even more for having a bad hand (which is also RNG-based in the first place) makes sense. You get bad hand, you have no choice but to spend all mulligan, and never redraw anything anymore. You get good hand, you save the points for later and have the means to fix your hands in R2-R3 to keep the advantage.

Last edited:
Heya. The video was spot on. He really touched the most burning issues with the current game.
At the moment there is still a lot of diversity in regards to the decks being played but we are already witnessing the streamlining towards the most OP stuff, namely Eitne artifact barf and the reveal nonsense.

I also remember how much hate Assire got previously because of the graveyard interference and now all of a sudden we have a simple card which just banishes the whole graveyard...

However, if these points are addressed (all well as some other), the game has a lot of potential imo.

"Seems like CDPR tried to just copy artifact removal from MtG, but then forgot GWENT doesn't have sideboards... "

This comment looks pretty accurate. Why couldn't gwent just stay gwent instead of trying to copy other games :confused:

"Seems like CDPR tried to just copy artifact removal from MtG, but then forgot GWENT doesn't have sideboards... "

This comment looks pretty accurate. Why couldn't gwent just stay gwent instead of trying to copy other games :confused:

Never played MTG. Can you explain sideboards?

Never played MTG. Can you explain sideboards?

In best of 3 matchups, you not only have a 60 card deck, but also a 15 card sideboard. After every match you can replace cards of your initial deck by cards of your sideboard. You can put deck specific counters in your sideboard, which are very good in certain matchups, but bad in others. That way the game is way less binary than just BO 1.

In best of 3 matchups, you not only have a 60 card deck, but also a 15 card sideboard. After every match you can replace cards of your initial deck by cards of your sideboard. You can put deck specific counters in your sideboard, which are very good in certain matchups, but bad in others. That way the game is way less binary than just BO 1.

That sounds awesome.

Because of the infinite posts complaining about how old GWENT was a stale unfixable mess and how new cards couldn't possibly fix it because of fundamental issues that wouldn't be addressed?

I'm baffled that anyone thought Homecoming would be anything other than a full overhaul. Every major person involved, every forum including this one and reddit, every major youtuber, they all said GWENT had unfixable fundamental problems. The only way to address them was a Homecoming attempt.

If you feel it failed, time to walk away. At this point you have to assume they've done their best.

KBT with his great analysis as usual, posted a video with a decent solution in regards to artifact cards, whereas they cannot be played unless there is a unit card adjacent to it, which makes sense as you are equipping it to a unit. This will make (weapon and potion) artifacts less binary.

I'm sure there will be some type of fix that will be implemented, Freddy is top level and I hope they listen to his complaints and take them into consideration.

My biggest issue right now are artifacts. Those have gotten out of hand, literally. Only removable by specific cards, yet they can target any unit. Makes deck building pretty much on sided towards them. Matches in where each player drops artifacts one after the other, waiting for the specific momment to remove the very first unit appearing makes it very dumb. Also, with no ways of thinning the decks, it becomes very hard to pull out card combos.

HC was meant to be a more "inmersive battleground" in CDPR words. Well, I yet have to see a battlefield were there are floating shields, spears, swords and potions waiting to the very first momment a unit appears to remove it.

Freddy has a lot of valid concerns, will be interesting to see in what direction CDPR is going from here on out.

At this point, I think it's safe to conclude that HC is never a product that's meant to fix the problems.

I was one of those people who screamed that there were fundamental problems in the old Gwent that CDPR needed to look into, but shockingly and interestingly, HC inherited some of them if not all. You'd think after 2 years of beta, they'd at least learn what to do and not to do, but apparently, from the look of HC, it isn't the case. Or it's just fixing the problems was never their utmost priority.

Artifacts function like Sabbath from the old Gwent. Overall RNG increased in all aspects. Playing cards is like placing minions in Hearthstone. Having rounds doesn't matter much. 2 bronzes. A provision system works like mana that allows a player to have however many legendaries or golds in a deck. Two rows seem to be one step away from having your cards lined up like MTG or Hearthstone.

Limited, restricted, simplified cards with more clicking. CDPR is indeed steering Gwent to a new direction. Will it be profitable as they wish? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom