Game crashes when I equip something

+
Whenever I equip something in the inventory, the game crashes. No mods, Frame Gen+DLSS Quality, everything maxed out with RT. i9 13900k/RTX 4090/32 GB RAM. Verified the game files, even deleted everything and did a fresh install. Contacted CDPR support but after 2 weeks I've yet to receive a reply.

Still a key question:

Did you ever use mods in the past?

Also, feel free to follow up with CDPR Support. They'll usually respond within about 3-5 days. (Check your junk and spam folders in your email, as well. Depending on your settings, it may have gone straight there.)

Nope, I play vanilla and have never used mods. I did check my spam and junk folders but CDPR has not replied. Will send them another message.

You can always feel free to follow up if they have not responded in a week. They'll usually get back to people in 3-5 days. (Also, check the spam and junk folders in your email. Sometimes, the responses are sent right there for some people.)

Does the crash happen on a new game with a fresh save file, or does it only occur with your existing saves?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I started a new playthrough after patch 4.04. I did not check if this error occurred in the previous patch, since all of my previous save files are from around 2020 and I'm worried something wonky might happen.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I started a new playthrough after patch 4.04. I did not check if this error occurred in the previous patch, since all of my previous save files are from around 2020 and I'm worried something wonky might happen.
It's more about whether it occurred on a new playthrough, which it seems it does. That's the more focused issue. (There's always a chance of weird issues popping up in a game that has been through multiple updates over time, but that would be a separate issue.)

So, first things to cover:

1.) Verify / repair the game through GOG / Steam / Epic / etc.

2.) Download and install the Microsoft Studio All-in-One pack to ensure the redistributeables are in order. (Be sure to install both the x86 and x64 versions.)

3.) If using any form of aggressive anti-virus (Norton, McAffee, Comodo, etc.) disable it completely and try the game again.

If those things have no effect, I'd follow up with CDPR Tech Support.

1. Verifying the files in Steam is the first thing I did, and it's what I usually do if any game decides to act weird.
2. Done, still crashing :(
3. Not running anything except Windows Defender.

From what I can gather, hairworks seems to be the culprit. I haven't tested it out myself but a couple of people on reddit messaged me saying after disabling hairworks the "equip crash" disappeared. Anyways thank you for the replies, I'll open a separate ticket again since CDPR seems to have forgotten about the previous one.

1. Verifying the files in Steam is the first thing I did, and it's what I usually do if any game decides to act weird.
2. Done, still crashing :(
3. Not running anything except Windows Defender.

From what I can gather, hairworks seems to be the culprit. I haven't tested it out myself but a couple of people on reddit messaged me saying after disabling hairworks the "equip crash" disappeared. Anyways thank you for the replies, I'll open a separate ticket again since CDPR seems to have forgotten about the previous one.
Hm. See what the say. I've not heard of Hairworks causing crashes, but that doesn't mean it can't. Another thing to try in the meantime is a clean installation of the GPU drivers:

1.) Install both Display Driver Uninstaller and CCleaner.

2.) Download but do not install the latest Nvidia reference drivers directly from nvidia.com.

3.) Restart your computer in Safe Mode with no network connection. Physically disconnect from the internet if you can, just to be safe. (If you don't do this, Windows will attempt to auto-install the latest GPU files and likely layer any issues.)

4.) Run DDU and purge the system of all Nvidia files: graphics, audio, PhysX, etc.

5.) Run CCleaner to remove empty keys from the Registry. Keep running it over and over until it reports "No conflicts." Then, restart the PC -- still in Safe Mode with no network. Run CCleaner repeatedly again. Restart the PC. Keep this up until the program reports "No conflicts" immediately following a restart.

6.) Now, install the Nvidia reference drivers using the CLEAN installation option. (I strongly recommend you do not install Geforce Experience. It can create more problems than solutions.)

7.) Once it's installed, restart the PC in Normal Mode, reconnect to the internet, and you should be running on a 100% solid driver installation.

I didn't have this problem until I started using Frame Generation but I've found that after making or upgrading an armor set that if I go to another cell or area of the game before I put the armor on or add additional runes if I'm already wearing the armor then I don't crash. If I do it at the blacksmith or armorer I'll crash every time.

So it sounds like a combination of Hair Works and Frame Generation because I never had the problem with just Hairworks alone

Sorry for the late reply, life happened. @SigilFey I tried everything listed and unfortunately I still get that error. @John_Russell From the talks I've had online with a couple of others HairWorks is probably screwing something up.

Sorry for the late reply, life happened. @SigilFey I tried everything listed and unfortunately I still get that error. @John_Russell From the talks I've had online with a couple of others HairWorks is probably screwing something up.
If you're talking Hairworks + RTX + DLSS + Frame Generation + Etc...

That's possible. Unfortunately, I don't know why that might be happening. Try setting the game to the following:

1.) Disable RTX.
2.) Settings to Ultra -- leave Hairworks on.
3.) Run at 1080p, disabling DLSS, dynamic performance scaling, etc.
4.) Lock your FPS to 60.

See if the game still crashes. That should define whether it's Hairworks itself or Hairworks not playing nicely with something else.

Top Bottom