Gameplay Reveal — 48-minute walkthrough

+
Part of this is probably due to it being daytime, but good points.
Some shots looked good but they were far in between, I don't feel it's really a daytime problem either since the last night city shot looks really meh even by today city standards.
9JuP687.jpg
Not talking about graphics, not talking about compression, it just doesn't feels big/brilliant enough for the setting, I hope it's because we're on a big rise and there's LOTS of stuff down there so we're basically on the middle of these buildings like the big moving image of the city they showed on E3/gamescon before the demo that has tons of buildings just under that and that this is just the top of the city.

Remember that it's still a video game with hardware limitations. I have to disagree I really liked the views of the city. We'll see how much of that we can go to.( A bit disappointed we didn't get to see night time though).
I do get that, but making 4-6 skyscrapers actually look like skyscrapers in the distance won't suddenly cut 20 fps of performance, I feel this is more of a design/style thing.
It's just the one disappointment I have but considering it's mine and many others favorite parts about the genre, it is worrying.

CDPR please remove the "Press B to Skip" prompt. Its fine to press B to skip but constantly having that in your face really takes you out of the immersion of the game and makes you feel like you're playing a video game. Please consider doing so.

Solo combat looks more Shadow Warrior x Deus Ex than anything. With all the dodging, the covering and a few melee moves with one weapon so far.
How do you feel about enemy AI? I think that's one area that improvements can be made.

Now that I've seen the demo gameplay with my own eyes, I can definitely agree with the press and all the hype and mind being blown about it.

What I noticed that the combat was pretty slow-paced and indeed, the enemies did not pose much of a threat in there (could've been due to the difficulty level maybe, or that's what I assume). Also, the health regeneration I am not a great fan of but I can live with that, if it is going to be the final decision in the final version to come.

Overall, I liked pretty much everything I saw in the trailer, except the combat did raise a few questions. However, I think the FPP fits perfectly in here and seeing, like I presumed before, we'll be moving around a lot in narrow and cramped places, it is the perfect solution for this game. Also, the detail of the game seems absolutely fantastic and graphics already look great.

Also, must remember that this game is still WIP and will take some time to be finished, so lots of changes and polish will likely still happen with these things. However, I think this is a very strong base to continue forward from and to improve further. You guys are doing a great job and thank you for deciding to show us this gameplay demo!

Dear CD Projekt Red,
Demo was pretty good. The game seems to be on a high above than average level. Even thought, I would like to bring some of the features that may be drastically improved. I'll list it.
-First off: this kind of battle system is good for PC, but not for gamepads (consoles). Also, the view from V's eyes is pretty narrow, please, at least try to add some FOV adjustments. And one more - try to make the view from first person even more realistic, because the way the character holds a gun is awkward. In real life it is held near the imaginary "center" of the picture and on a bigger height than in the demo.
-Second: IMPROVE THE CHARACTER APPEARANCE MENU. It is god awful. Ten choices for every face trait ? No free location of the tatoo ? In 2018 (almost 2019), with the Sims 4 on board ? Really ? I understand it is your first experience in a character creation, but just read what I wrote above.
-Third one, not that major: in general the game looks like Fallout 4 (which wasn't a good example of a game at all). But what I found very similar to it is the dialogue system. It feels unsuitable for the game mood and oneness with the character. It would be cool to see something like the Witcher 3 dialogue. It was pondering and gave an impression of an importance of a gamer's choice.
That's all for now. Thank you for creating awesome, detailed and fun to play games.

Everything looks amazing! You could release this today and it would blow everything away! Just please don't give away much more of the story/main quests. If you are going to do more gameplay features do side missions/activities. :love:

Here are my first impressions

Definently worth the waiting and teasing of years and years. First person perspective choice was bang on. There are a few things missing tho. Where's leaning or a mechanic like blind fire that let's you engage when behind cover without that cool high tech gun? Appreciate the effort on everything but that is a must in a shooting game imo and you have plenty of time to implement it. We didnt see much of interactions with the world in this demo.
There are lots of vendors and npcs of interest around, are they there to just fill up space as was in witcher most of the time or can we actually interact with them? BTW brightness was a little too much in the opening apartment area if it's just the brightness setting np but that kind of low light environment felt like should be darker even if it's day time. but it wasnt...

Also, please dont turn this baby into a futuristic gta and dont cap fps this time.
Post automatically merged:

Dear CD Projekt Red,
Demo was pretty good. The game seems to be on a high above than average level. Even thought, I would like to bring some of the features that may be drastically improved. I'll list it.
-First off: this kind of battle system is good for PC, but not for gamepads (consoles). Also, the view from V's eyes is pretty narrow, please, at least try to add some FOV adjustments. And one more - try to make the view from first person even more realistic, because the way the character holds a gun is awkward. In real life it is held near the imaginary "center" of the picture and on a bigger height than in the demo.
-Second: IMPROVE THE CHARACTER APPEARANCE MENU. It is god awful. Ten choices for every face trait ? No free location of the tatoo ? In 2018 (almost 2019), with the Sims 4 on board ? Really ? I understand it is your first experience in a character creation, but just read what I wrote above.
-Third one, not that major: in general the game looks like Fallout 4 (which wasn't a good example of a game at all). But what I found very similar to it is the dialogue system. It feels unsuitable for the game mood and oneness with the character. It would be cool to see something like the Witcher 3 dialogue. It was pondering and gave an impression of an importance of a gamer's choice.
That's all for now. Thank you for creating awesome, detailed and fun to play games.

i agree on fov and character creation(didnt pay much attention to it while watching so im relying on ur words here:) but i think dialogue system is good for a first person game. it's fluid with gamepaly and doesnt pull u out of the world like it did in witcher and it doesnt focus on charecter like fallout 4.

Last edited:
Amazing. This gameplay exceeded all expectations! I absolutely love city, characters, and their movement is just right! I also catch the Observer vibes (which is brilliant imo) I'd love to see a slightly darker and more noir atmosphere than now tho. Wish you'll get inspired by Ghost in the Shell anime stories about hacking humans mind too. Combat and driving kinda looks I bit console based at the moment.
p.s. Visually I'm not sure that punk hairstyles in such quantity correlates with cyberpunk style.

Guest 4322765

After 3 years, The Witcher 3 is still the best game ever made, and it will very probably keep this position until Cyberpunk 2077 release.

Keep up the good work, this look amazing.

Thank You for showing us the gameplay! It looks amazing. Only thing which was not seen very well was the body types for character creation. I hope You will give us many many options :) Also I am very interested how deep will be the side connection with the crowd. Can I pick up some prostitute? Can I strike anyone with fists (with consequences ofc) and have a good fight if he/she will be buff? Details and complexity will make this game even more awesome.

Good luck!

CDPR, I am going to put this as gently as I can without incurring the ire of the moderators. Do you know the first word that popped into my mind when viewing this trailer?
Generic.
This footage looked like every other FPS game released in the past ten years, if not more. From the stealth kills, to the twitch strafing in and out of cover, I can honestly say with full confidence I have never been so let down before by a gameplay reveal in my entire life. If you're going to use words like "immersive," then I would probably not say such things right before health bars and a bunch of floating numbers come out of enemies that take damage. Immersion is all well and good, but it doesn't mean much when the gameplay is this derivative. And I am still floored by the decision to not even include third-person snap-to-cover, which was a godsend in games like Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I honestly have no clue what was making the journalists go ecstatic over this gameplay, but I am not surprised to see them oversell it, because after all, gaming journalists are nothing but glorified cheerleaders for the industry. I have been enjoying your games for the past ten years, I really don't want to be let down at this juncture. My faith isn't broken, but my hype has definitely been cooled by a tremendous degree.

Much love,

Some fan in America.

Watch 48 minutes of official 2018 gameplay from Cyberpunk 2077 and get a glimpse into the world of perils and possibilities that is Night City — the most vibrant and dangerous metropolis of the future.

This video contains work-in-progress gameplay — everything you see is potentially subject to change.

I really wish there was the possibility of playing in third person. The Witcher style (which for me is the best game ever). Think fondly if you can of course. But anyway, thanks for existing and making such good games. Very above average.

Looking at the gameplay again I'm reminded from a feature I miss from Alpha Protocol - personality type dialogue.
I know there were some slightly less sassy dialogue options in this demo, but I kinda wish there were more options to define your character's personality or at least a more "neutral" tone when they're talking during gameplay.

As is the protag is kinda overly sassy which is okay for that type of character, but it kills a whole lot of roleplaying if you were hoping to play as a cold, professional type for example.

CDPR, I am going to put this as gently as I can without incurring the ire of the moderators. Do you know the first word that popped into my mind when viewing this trailer?
Generic.
This footage looked like every other FPS game released in the past ten years, if not more. From the stealth kills, to the twitch strafing in and out of cover, I can honestly say with full confidence I have never been so let down before by a gameplay reveal in my entire life. If you're going to use words like "immersive," then I would probably not say such things right before health bars and a bunch of floating numbers come out of enemies that take damage. Immersion is all well and good, but it doesn't mean much when the gameplay is this derivative. And I am still floored by the decision to not even include third-person snap-to-cover, which was a godsend in games like Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I honestly have no clue what was making the journalists go ecstatic over this gameplay, but I am not surprised to see them oversell it, because after all, gaming journalists are nothing but glorified cheerleaders for the industry. I have been enjoying your games for the past ten years, I really don't want to be let down at this juncture. My faith isn't broken, but my hype has definitely been cooled by a tremendous degree.

Agreed for the basic idea and criticism.

With few exceptions like... I don't mind popping numbers and I really, really, really do not want a third person gluecover like in the recent DX games.

Good day CDPR.
After watching the gameplay I have some things to share. Disclaimer most of it might be speculation and cherry picking.
First of all I was super hyped after e3 and I kinda still am. However on my own example I question the decision to show the gameplay to the press first. I possibly watched every video breaking down the gameplay and there were no surprises left. Also I feel like a lot of journos described it like it's the second coming of Jesus, which overhyped me to the point of being a little disappointed by what i saw(it was still pretty cool).
Second, this actually feels like a vertical slice. Kinda looks overly scripted and condensed (which is the point of the vertical slice I guess) almost like it's Syndicate on ultra. But I get it, it's hard to present a game like this, I mean any presentation of witcher that is not 5 hours long wouldn't do it justice as well.
With that in mind I would try not to pass judgment on gameplay mechanics without being able to play it myself and the demo being heavily scripted.
The biggest offenders so far are animations. Look somawhat stiff. Which is kinda funny, since I know it's a massive rpg but my brain has a hard time to acknowledge that looking at set piece gameplay. Some animations are actually great, put pedestrians could use a lot of work. At the scene with the crossing they start to cross at the same time probably with the same leg and about the same speed. Doesn't feel natural. Also hard to tell what happens when you bump into them. Do you push them, get stuck or the game does assassins creed unity and let's you see their eyeballs? In dialog some animations feel wooden, the ones when people wave their hands and don't interact with stuff directly. In combat there's gore but not much punch. People loose their limbs but fall down like potato sacks. Give it a little push it really could use more oomph. Weapons feel OK, but I wasn't the one pulling the trigger, but one can never go wrong with making it feel better.
Car sections just felt weird. The car itself definitely feels on rails to the point I thought I saw the car turning before the wheel being turned or maybe the other way around. The lack of traffic doesn't help and just fells odd, but it's probably is not developed fully yet.
The moment you talk to a militech people you say you were alone they sweep the area and never mention Jackie, like it was an empty threat (or did I miss it? ).
I really liked the ui interaction from POV early Duke Nukem Forever trailers style, could do more, very immersive.
Don't constrain level design to corridors for battle arenas, a lot of environments felt pretty restrictive in terms of movement.
Environments look bad ass, also very good npc variety.
Would be a good ui feature to color code interactive npcs and quest givers given all of the npcs have a name above them which might made it confusing, you don't want to talk to nobodies. Intractable crates and objects looked pretty obscure, I don't think highlight aura is good but a way to indicate visually would be nice.
Generally I liked what I saw. You are my best boys and girls, love you all. Day 1 buy.

Dear CD Projekt Red,
As someone above me, I also disagree and think that dialogue system is really good for FPP(and first person seems great to me).Also, remember that the person playing was using a controller and not mouse + keyboard. I find the combat amazing(and won't be harder with gamepads than DOOM is so), with the exception of enemy AI. As many others have said, no threat and no coordination. I do agree with you however that character creation seems really off, especially visually.

Fluid class system is nice doublespeak for a game with no defined classes. Same thing Bioware did with Andromeda, and that turned out awful in execution.

Finally some gameplay!

This is just insane. The city looks so hectic. The amount of details. It's clear you've been working super hard to deliver something truly amazing to us.
Thank you for the reveal!

Top Bottom