[GENERAL] Difficulty Settings and Flaming Sword

+
[GENERAL] Difficulty Settings and Flaming Sword

I have the NA version of the game and have started playing on Medium difficulty. I am now somewhere in Act 1 and I still get the flaming sword icon during combat. Additionally, I have not been really challenged yet (made it to level 6) even when attacked by a swarm of drowners. Is this really "Medium"? Or did the game somehow start on "Easy".For testing, I restarted on Easy (flaming sword icon present as expected), Medium again (flaming sword icon also present) and Hard (no flaming sword).Am I missing something? I'm expecting Medium to not have the flaming sword icon during combat and to be somewhat challenging.Should I just restart on Hard? Is Medium supposed to have the flaming sword icon? Are people finding Medium challenging?Thanks!

I will wait for the beast as I'm almost there. Thanks.The manual is what confuses me. My version clearly states that the flaming sword icon is present on Easy only. Medium and Hard are supposed to not have the sword (according to the manual). Do other manuals state something else?

Must be a typo, because the pdf version shows the flaming sword on easy and medium difficulties. personally since your so early into the game, if you do not find it a challange i suggest restarting. Some of the boss fights are tough though, so its up to you.

Finished on medium. During whol game I have 3, 4 really challenging moments. I like it that way. Geralt was really good with sword:)

flymar said:
Finished on medium. During whol game I have 3, 4 really challenging moments. I like it that way. Geralt was really good with sword:)
Yep same i liked it . Especially that what i hate in RPG , is to go i caves , crypts , undergrounds , as what i appreciate the most is the Role playing part . Thus , i was pleased that The Witcher didn't play with my nerves too much . difficulty is well balanced in normal

I was wondering if I had accidently started on Easy as well. The flaming sword icon does show up during the battles and I thought that only happened in easy too. Still in chapter one but I've had Geralt die if I wasn't careful enough in the Crypt when attacked by multiple ghouls and in the Salamander hideout if I didn't take the right potions first.I like this level of difficultly, carelessness and lack of preparation can be costly, but if you do prepare, it's usually fine.

The difficulty thing is really weird. There is really not much to choose from between easy and medium at all but I chose easy because I hate chasing down potion ingredients, but easy was too easy so I started again on medium. I still don't use potions much lol. I think the difficulty levels are :EasyEver so slightly more difficult but hugely debatable if it really is andHard

Considering the manual that came with the game got it wrong, it's no surprise that a third-party site could get it wrong, too.I kind of like playing on Easy. I don't have to concern myself with combat too much and that allows me to focus on the characters, story, and setting. When combat does happen, I can enjoy having Geralt do all his fancy moves and actually enjoy it. Quite nice. If the game was an action-RPG, I'd be playing it on a more difficult setting (probably just normal) because combat is more what the game is about. To me, combat is secondary in this style of game.

Yeah, everyone to his taste.That´s why there are 3 settings: "easy" for the one´s enjoying more the world and the characters than the fights, "normal" for the one´s having a challenge in fights too and "hard" for the, let´s say hardcore gamers.I think everyone will find his favourite !

Disclaimer:I love the Witcher totally, it's simply best cRPG I've played in looooong time (now if only Bethesda won't screw up Fallout 3 next year I'll be a happy gamer). All the moaning and picking below is coming from my desire to make Witcher even better, more versatile to suit needs of gamers of all ages.Aha, and it's going to be a long one, please read it carefully, You'll make my day that way ;DHi.Yesterday completed the game on Hard level.I know that to many Witcher is extraordinarily hard (omg Beast xP), but seriously - do You really think Hard level lets You finish finall battle without any Signs, in second available armor (not the Raven's one) and only on Swallow rubedo? True, I've used Perun rune (which is overpowered right now too, I mean c'mon, 2x damage, +60% to hit and +30% for precise strike? ::)), but I thought it's going to be a challenge. It wasn't. I tried two times, firstly killing all fire elementals, at the second time going for Grandmaster straight away and it was even easier. I don't even mention the Wild Hunt, barely registered killing it.Now, I know that Witcher is not about fight only, storyline etc are very important factor too. But to me most important part of any game is challenge. To try oneself, realize that all obstacles on Your path can be overcomed and Your brain still functions properly ;) In this game challenge finished shortly after coccacidium on the Swamps in second chapter and the detective-style quest. Rest of the game was like killing ants (fun nonetheless ;D)I agree that first chapter and Swamps on the second are properly Hard (hope so, started again today to check how terrible Beast can be without Signs but with combat experience taken from finishing the game), so everything below is about further chapters.Thoughts:Signs are OVERPOWERED. They are great, I love their animations, I love finishing moves after knocking/stunning opponents, flames of Igni and power of Yrden (properly placed can kill like 3 Basilisks without player's action at all), but with them game is so easy it's amazing. From 4th chapter I stopped using Signs totally, that helped a bit to lift the challenge (quite often after conversation leading to fight Geralt stands surrounded by enemies without drawn weapon so without aard to push them away it's getting pretty warm sometimes), but still not enough.Friendly NPC's are nearly immortal (except Vesna/Abigail, last one can't die so it's not a problem). In Epilogue Triss was beaten by some Garkains/other vamps in total number of four monsters, and after like sixty seconds of beating she still had about 70% of health. I know sorcerors are powerful, but not in melee, right?.Whole idea to have NPC helping You in final stages of game is a bit... Weird. It's great to see those women and chat to them, but free medic, Adda and banshee? Thank goodness they disappear after a while otherwise I could read books instead of killing monsters. Btw, human-descendants mutant monsters should survive a bit more than 3-4 cuts of my sword, right? I mean, to live in such environment, always fight for food and survival should make them a bit... Harder, methinks. Group combat style is waaaaay to strong. Not only You get ability to attack all opponents at once (therefore interrupt/make attacks on Geralt harder to them), but also You get insane precise strike AND knockout. I started over this morning and even in Kaer Morhen it's way faster to kill even nimble mobs with Group (providing You have more than one opponent), than with Fast style. With Group it takes like 3-4 hits, Fast need to put 4-5. Later on it get's much, much stronger ??? There's not much equality between Group style and Fast style, especially that with enough bonus to attack/precise hit one can kill even fast mobs on Strong in 1-2 cuts. In chapter five I had to literally search every body on the graveyard near the Crypt with Adda to find trophys, because I killed those so called unique monsters without hardly noticing it :/I realize that Group is necessary and is an enormous fun (circles of spraying blood are awesome), but how on earth one can defeat more easily three opponents than one? If anything, Precise Strike should go to Fast style, that could balance it a bit.I also know that Geralt is polish Guts (Berserk), killing monsters on a daily basis but hey - he wasn't THAT good, otherwise he'd rule the world like Conan ruled Aquilonia ;D ;D, and there would be no monsters whatsoever it they would be so simple to kill. ...So all I'm saying is that it would be great to add another difficulty level, You name it, just make it truly hard. Like in Civilization IV - one has about seven different settings for that, and I didn't play on Deity (stopped on Emperor) yet and it's great - I know I can always increase the challenge.Simply - later in the game one gets better skills, better items, weapons, more ingredients, more potions, more everything and it makes whole gaming experience tad to easy. Don't even get me started on Dagon - I was like ??? what?? What was that?? Oh well, it's dead anyway ::) Think about the story from The Last Wish with mermaid Sheenaz in it - Geralt fought the water folk, but inevitable death, abysmall darkness of ocean dephts were so close You could almost smell rotting fish. Dunno, more monsters for Dagon? Make him hit Geralt every now and then? Is there any chance on adding new difficulty setting in next expansion/sequel? Ok, thank You for Your attention, I hope others feel more-less the same.

he he you linked to your own post to bump it. kinda lame, but i don't really mind because I definitely agree with the content.Not to worry though, toolset will take care of all ur problems, eventually :)

Guardian1982 said:
Easy is for 6yr old toddlers, Medium for mum and sisters, Hard is normal. Where is Hard level?http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=5297.0
I guess that depends on your taste how to play games. For some guys it´s just relaxing and some take it serious, meaning it can´t be tough enough. I think CD has chosen a good variety of difficulty settings to please most of all players.

I prefer easy myself right now while I get the hang of the game, I'm not a school kid that has endless time to spend on a game. (those were the days). I jsut want to play and have fun not worry about some dude around the next corner one hitting me. I'll play all difficulty levels in the end I'm sure. One thing I never understood is why games are limited to one difficulty setting option taht encompasses everything. Why not have an easy,medium,hard whatever for how many monsters and type appear and have a slider for their difficulty which adds hp and damage to their hits that can make it go from easy to insanely hard. I believe the elder scrolls series had, though only one slider, something like this. OP: I thought their were two fighting icon flaming swords for easy, and only one for medium when reading manual and playing easy seeing two a pre warning and one for doing. haven't palyed on medium yet, is their only the full flaming sword not the prewaring one? So you'd get more time to click just right in easy taht way if so...

Lightzy, can You please explain to me what is so lame in saving my time as well as readers by not writing twice the same stuff? As for the toolset, yeah, I'm fully aware that in about year's time (providing CDP will release toolset at all xP) we'll have everything we want, including insane nightmare difficulty for masochists, fixed theft and many, many others. But You see, after Oblivion, where I spent two evenings downloading/installing mods and then struggled with mod incompatibilities it would be nice to not need to bother with all these weather mod, horse armor mod, Bruma guard armor mod and red-dots-on-the-ground-after-kill mod.So I think that it would be great if there would be more "challenge unsatisfied" folk to join in and perhaps convince CDP to spend a bit of time on this matter. See, I started Witcher on Normal first to get a grip on combat mechanics and the game itself. Luckily I restarted on Hard after finishing first chapter. In an instant I've immersed myself much more into the game, because on Normal I didn't need to think of combat, drink potions etc. I took Vesna protection as well as to put the fire in five shrines. True, I had to reload few times but after finishing the mission I knew a LOT more about combat than before. That was great, but like I wrote above (I'm bumping my thread again xP) it ended after doing the Swamp in chapter two.

TheLoneBader said:
Wait till you get to the Beast. Many people find it difficult.
It took me exactly 5 seconds to kill it =/ a few hits Arad and one shot. I found the ghoul boss in the crypt ALOT harder.

I hate posts like this.If you find the game too easy, dont exploit the game mechanics. You know what is overpowered, you spell it out yourself, so dont do it.This is a single player game, there is no reason it needs to be a death march.

I hate posts like this.Did You read above at all? My point, once again, is - if You want to enjoy game without putting any effort in it (because games are suppose to be relaxing, not exciting xPPP) You play on Easy/Normal. And if You want challenge to have fun from killing dozens of zombies You go on Hard. Except that in Witcher there is no Hard 'cause game is not balanced. From the beginning of 3rd chapter all game mechanics can be an exploitI'm playing once again, no Signs this time and no silver/gold put into Strenght (reduces total hitpoints and Strong styles considerably). If that will prove to be to much I'll go for Strenght III. Oh well, maybe it's only me, and everyone else is having hard time with Witcher...

Top Bottom