[GENERAL] Difficulty Settings and Flaming Sword

+
hello fellow witchers,here's a little irrelevant something i'd like to toss out to you guys and see if anyone agrees with me... i really don't think its fair to the game to die, come prepared a second time and beat the beast/coccidicae/[insert beast here]... i don't know it just doesn't feel right to me. let me give you an examplethe beast fight - i'd gone into the cave with spectre oil coincidentally applied sometime in the day... so by the time i got out of the cave it'd vanished, along with the swallow i took to fight the salamandra. despite getting my ass kicked about 10+ times by that damn dog, i just refuse to go back to an earlier saved game and come in with extra swallows handy (i ran out) or time my arrival so i could go into the fight with spectre oil... it just doesn't seem right, or fair - geralt shouldn't have some sixth sense of what's coming and how best to prepare.am i taking geekiness to the next level? ??? 8)

It's all a matter of how you play, and how you enjoy the game.Games should be fun, but that definition of "fun" is going to be as varied as the indivuals who play ;) If you find you enter a fight unprepared, it may continue to be an exercise in futility and frustration to just keep doing the same thing over and over again, and still not succeed. While Geralt might have a 6th sense, would you really want him to say "I shouldn't enter this battle until I have X things in my inventory" ? And again, this would be difficult to include anyway because there are many diverse ways to play this game and develop your character.Anyway, that's my two orens :)

no, my point is PREPARING for battles that geralt doesn't actually know are gonna take place... the beast is a really good example because i see people on this forum planning to enter the cave at certain times, with spectre oil applied, etc etc, so that they go into the fight fully prepared... im not saying what you're doing is wrong, don't get me wrong, i just wouldn't play it that way, but that's just me.geralt didnt expect the beast to appear at that point (or at least, i didnt)the example that got me really thinking about this was the vampires in the house of ill repute... i finally figured out how to beat them (i lost to them about 5 times) - apply the rune that makes you 40% more likely to hit and they die like flies, didn't even need swallow... thing is i applied the rune BEFORE the fight, won, and then felt bad about it... so quit, reloaded, cast quen and yrden while applying the rune and then re-owned them.it's kinda stupid, i know, haha

The game is for fun. It is not a race against whatever. Why not just have fun? I myself wouldn't like to start the act over when I die. I like it the way it is! ;D

As mentioned before it's all about personal preference and play style. If you feel its "cheating" to prepare for fights the character wouldn't expect then play that way while others may find it fun being prepared after getting slammed once or twice. I personally run around ready for anything (packing too many oils and pots) and I use Quen to protect myself when I apply these things based on situations. But again, it's all personal preference on what makes it fun for you, and you should play that way.

wooow :eek: so many comments in such a short duration how fast you're. ı knew ı would've switched to fast style drank blizzard and apllied hanged man venom or perun anyway ı got quen to give me time. don't ı ???

I consider this aspect a bit of maldesign with the game. Encounters for which you almost have to prepare you should know are coming. Having them sprung on you, die, reload, then prepare isn't nearly as much fun.

Somehow I don't understand the problem o_O Some creature entry for your journal even gives you hints abtout weak points. So if you read it, the logical next step would be to apply those things / use certain styles to defeat the cerature. It think it's fair, if you don't have these info you have to find out on your own and... prepare too. If you can't find out you have to be very skilled to survive or.. you die but gain probably how to defeat the opponent and start a new attempt.

Very true. if you are keeping up with your journal (and reading it) you would have known the beast was a spectre and anti-spectre oil is a good thing to use. Same is true for most other big battles, you see the battle coming and if you have been reading your journal then you will be able to be well prepared (especially since oils last most of the day)

no, i mean likek i play, play, get into the cave. due to unfortunate timing, by the time i get to the beast fight i have no swallow and no spectre oil. stupid of me, maybe. so i fight the beast i think 5-10 times before i get lucky with an aard and T.K.O.my point is this: i refuse to go back to an earlier save game, and get myself some spectre oil and swallow, then go into the cave and meditate till a certain time, or whatever - can geralt see the future? witchers can do a lot of things, but im pretty sure thats not one of them.i know ultimately it comes down to it just being me and my style of play and my style of enjoyment. i'll look up help on the forum if i need to, and i'll read up my bestiary before the fight for tips, but i will not do anything i didn't do the first time, and i won't back down from a tough but avoidable fight (e.g. house of ill repute) just because i have trouble with it. comments, opinions? do you guys do the same thing? curiosity

parts said:
no, i mean likek i play, play, get into the cave. due to unfortunate timing, by the time i get to the beast fight i have no swallow and no spectre oil. stupid of me, maybe. so i fight the beast i think 5-10 times before i get lucky with an aard and T.K.O.my point is this: i refuse to go back to an earlier save game, and get myself some spectre oil and swallow, then go into the cave and meditate till a certain time, or whatever - can geralt see the future? witchers can do a lot of things, but im pretty sure thats not one of them.i know ultimately it comes down to it just being me and my style of play and my style of enjoyment. i'll look up help on the forum if i need to, and i'll read up my bestiary before the fight for tips, but i will not do anything i didn't do the first time, and i won't back down from a tough but avoidable fight (e.g. house of ill repute) just because i have trouble with it. comments, opinions? do you guys do the same thing? curiosity
yep i do that sometimes

parts said:
...geralt shouldn't have some sixth sense of what's coming and how best to prepare.
parts said:
can geralt see the future? witchers can do a lot of things, but im pretty sure thats not one of them.
Geralt is an experienced, if amnesic, Witcher and therefore prepares, not just for an immediate fight, but for many unexpected encounters. Not having enough potions prepared would be like leaving his swords at home and then running back to get them if needed. I eventually always had both swords coated with Diamond Dust or Argentia as appropriate and had a good supply of the potions I used. If running low then I would rest and make more, most times not before a fight.I am not taking issue with the way you play. I agree with you in fighting with what I have. It's just that I always make sure that my Geralt is well prepared, as I think that that is what he would do. (Hope that makes sense :))

Geralt isn't a fortune teller but a skilled swordmaster ;) and he evens knows how to use magic witcher signs. And he is foresighed... when he realises there is trouble ahead or Dandelion tells him, bandits kidnapped Alvin and even says: They are in this house... Geralt prepares for a fight... everyone would prepare for a fight.

The witcher is one of the best RPG I ever play. but I do feel that the difficulty of the game are quite unstable. Because, for exsample when I play the game in normal difficulty and focusing on strenght, my Geralt becom too powerful every boss (except the hell hord) become too easy even the Zeugal and in The end I can just kill the grand master witin 3rd attak! In the opposite way when I set it as hard difficulty the game become too hard to play, I can't defeat even a mare pack of wolf (4 wolf). So sometime I think that the first thing that should be fixed in the enchanced edction is this difficulty issue. Does anyone think like me ?

e22big said:
The witcher is one of the best RPG I ever play. but I do feel that the difficulty of the game are quite unstable. Because, for exsample when I play the game in normal difficulty and focusing on strenght, my Geralt becom too powerful every boss (except the hell hord) become too easy even the Zeugal and in The end I can just kill the grand master witin 3rd attak! In the opposite way when I set it as hard difficulty the game become too hard to play, I can't defeat even a mare pack of wolf (4 wolf). So sometime I think that the first thing that should be fixed in the enchanced edction is this difficulty issue. Does anyone think like me ?
Like you I find that on hard the game is too hard to be enjoyable.But that's OK, I play on medium.

Well, there had been a couple of discussions about the game*s difficulty... some players found hard to easy whereas others struggle in easy mode cos it's too hard.First time I played on easy and Geralt died 2 or 3 times, wasn't really used to the game mechanics. Now I reached the epilogue on normal and Geralt didn't die one time. Okay, with the exception of the end of Act 3 (buried under rubble) and couldn't stand the drinking contest with the knight von Blunt in Posh Reception but those were no fights ;D

The first time you play there is some challenges but second or third time it's pretty easy, even on hard.I'm in the add some extra difficulty options brigade.If you do some extra exp grinding early in the game it can make things go a lot easier too.

MR said:
The first time you play there is some challenges but second or third time it's pretty easy, even on hard.I'm in the add some extra difficulty options brigade.If you do some extra exp grinding early in the game it can make things go a lot easier too.
Depends who you are. Some people have the 'oh, I got killed, doesn't matter, I'll just load a save game' thing. Some people are probably better at working out what combinations of potions to use. But I tried my fourth play through on hard, and I couldn't do it. So I'm playing medium again.That's partly a shame. I liked the fact that in hard you don't get the flaming mouse pointer to tell you when to click, that you have to time your fighting. But I'd rather play on medium than get killed.

I haven't played hard yet but tried to watch the attacks to get a notion how it would work on hard. I found out that you can hear when an attack sequence is finshed and you add the next. There is always a certain sound which I hear just on that moment when the flame sword appears.

Top Bottom