Ghost In The Shell and Japanese influence for Cyberpunk 2077

+
Ghost In The Shell and Japanese influence for Cyberpunk 2077

Ghost In The Shell - the movie, is magnum opus of the cyberpunk universe, created by Mamoru Oshii. With it's dark atmosphere, sophisticated messages and astonishing animation it's truly a masterpiece. It also shows the Japanese view of cyberpunk (my favourite + William Gibson) And also Motoko Kusanagi is an emblematic female character, and I really want to see a japanese cyborgs(and humans) in the game. So, my idea is what do you want to see from the "Japanese cyberpunk" style in general, and Ghost in the Shell in particular in the game?
I would like:
- to have the same dark and realistic atmosphere
- the philosophical ideas shown in the anime
- the unique Japanese cyborgs, and mainly somebody like Motoko - there should be an option for a race in the character creation menu, and also some of the NPC's should definitely be Japanese
- Japanese culture, way of thinking, Shintoism - something that captures the "eastern spirit" - and I dare say that cyberpunk wouldn't be as half as cool if there wasn't Japan or more precisely - it wouldn't be cyberpunk.
So, what do you think?

I am more then sure CP2077 will have Japanese culture in game. I wouldn't be worried if you check companies and brands of 2020 game you will see Japanese names all over :cool:

Ghost In The Shell - the movie, is magnum opus of the cyberpunk universe, created by Mamoru Oshii. With it's dark atmosphere, sophisticated messages and astonishing animation it's truly a masterpiece.

Well, yeah, some people seem to think so...

CP2020 and, by extension, CP2077, is already full to the brim with visual references to Shirow's work. I mean, the whole design brief is ripped right out of Appleseed - the Max-Tac looks like Briareos' brother. So that's already done.

I'm guessing Asians and Japanese specifically will show up. Like they often do in US. Or the CP setting for the matter.

About the philosophical issues. Ehhh, no. CP as a setting already has it's set of important questions to answer, it doesn't need more, especially considering the jumbled mess GITS was.

And really, cyberpunk wouldn't be cyberpunk without Japan?

Well, i don't think it a bad idea as more variety is usually better at least when done with taste. CDPR mentioned Ghost in Shell series as one of the inspirations for Cyperpunk so i'm sure they will they a good look at the part of cyberpunk too

For sure I would no like to have any kind of manga style in this game. Please leave and go to PS3 forums or go play Bayonetta or something.... ;-)

Hey, I think it would be great idea if we had some japanese culture/flavor in game. some of the npc's you pass by could speak japanese or talk on phone etc.. also perhaps some adverts.. maybe even some ghost in the shell easter egg.

The time I spent in Tokyo was the most cyberpunk thing I've ever done. Walking around at night and being afraid of tanning because of the overabundance of neon is an awesome thing :D

Influences are nice and all, but from the way you word it sounds like you want to turn Cyberpunk 2077 into some generic anime/jrpg.

just let CD Projekt RED do their job and keep your weeaboo urges at bay.

Before making statements like that, you would do well to look into the subject matter. Ghost in the Shell is cyberpunk, and as a whole, is one of the finest works on the subject, ranking up there with William Gibson's 'Neuromancer' in relevance.

Masamune Shirow, the author of the original manga that's pretty old right about now, and Mamoru Oshii, who directed the first movie, made a piece of work that left impressions and inspired a lot of things that followed, and Cyberpunk 2020 was one of them. The Matrix is another you might be familiar with.

How is its medium as a manga/anime/animated movie even remotely relevant without being an utter hypocrite?

For sure I would no like to have any kind of manga style in this game. Please leave and go to PS3 forums or go play Bayonetta or something.... ;-)
Wow, what a great way to flaunt one’s ignorance. Let me quickly take a couple of notes here, they might come in handy one day.

Influences are nice and all, but from the way you word it sounds like you want to turn Cyberpunk 2077 into some generic anime/jrpg.

just let CD Projekt RED do their job and keep your weeaboo urges at bay.

I didn't say: 'Let's make anime/manga-like rpg'. I have already said in other thread that the best thig about creativity is to have original ideas. I just wanted to see the people's view about the Japanese influence on cyberpunk. I know that CD Projekt Red are game studio second to none and I am so happy about their unique ideas. I am not familiar with the Cyberpunk 2020 system, but I think that CD Projekt should not follow it strictly. It's should be really a 'dream game', as they say, and so they have to create their own vision about the whole thing ( and I'm sure they will). The best thing is that the studio is Polish. They have already proved that games still can be done with love. And I am hoping that they will manage to add some of the great Japanese spirit in that game - not just game, it will be a piece of art. And the best rpg ever made.

I for one wish for more of their own influence on the game, not necessarily Japanese. Eastern European flavour really made the Witcher games unique so I hope CDPR can put their own "stamp" on CP2077 too.

Yes, Tokyo is in the cyberpunk era since a long time... Dream come true.
CD Red will manage to succeed, I don't doubt that.
In the end... GITS is not just an anime. It's something so much more.

Top Bottom